Toon firmware: issues (and solutions)

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

adjego
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon firmware: issues (and solutions)

Post by adjego »

I also had this issue and followed the downgrade guide for happ-thermstat_1.554-trunk_qb2.ipk.
It's installed but now i can't get the data visible anymore. Neither on port 10080 or 7080.

I get a "NULL Devices" webpage visible. Before i downgraded i did see the values but they were all 0.
adjego
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by adjego »

adjego wrote:I also had this issue and followed the downgrade guide for happ-thermstat_1.554-trunk_qb2.ipk.
It's installed but now i can't get the data visible anymore. Neither on port 10080 or 7080.

I get a "NULL Devices" webpage visible. Before i downgraded i did see the values but they were all 0.
Nevermind :) I was doing an incorrect test query. How nice how chrome does that sometimes.
Another question. The data which remains empty for me, is that because i'm not using "Opentherm" but the on/off method?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

The data which remains empty for me, is that because i'm not using "Opentherm" but the on/off method?
Yes.
On/off just switches the boiler from maximum power to off, and nothing else. No communication, just flicking a switch.
If you want data (and better boiler control, with less gas consumption) you should switch to opentherm. What boiler do you have?
adjego
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by adjego »

I don't have a boiler, i have city heating so on/off is the only way for me..;)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Something completely different:

A few days ago I noticed a spike in the room temperature setpoint. 30 degrees instead of the usual 20.5. Nobody had touched the screen. I corrected the setpoint, from then on the boiler heated up to 1 degree above the setpoint. I lowered the room setpoint to correct this. After a few days I got bored with that, and restarted happ_thermstat and set the 4 possible room temperatures to their normal levels. Now it seems to be fine again. Toon fw is 3.2.18.

Has anyone had the same issue?
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

There's a new firmware version 3.7.8, maybe the OT data is restored, will check tonight.
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

Plain English no, it's not updating. I tried to change the values in /HCBv2/config/config_happ_scsync.xml (Boilermanagement) But that file is restored after a reboot. (Or a restart of happ_scsync)
Any ideas (Besides IDA Pro and do some crash course c)?
Manyakim
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Rooting Toon

Post by Manyakim »

Hello, with the help of this forum/members, I’ve finally rooted a Toon, but unfortunately I’m now unable to connect to my wireless network.
I have rooted this Toon in my attic where I have a router with the same SSID and Password as in the living area.
Once the Toon was rooted, I’ve installed it in my living room but was unable to connect it to my wifi.
In fact, wifi connection icon was disappeared (see screenshot of my Toon).
Toon.PNG
Toon.PNG (40.07 KiB) Viewed 11452 times
I’ve tried several Linux command like :
iwconfig wlan0 essid Wifi key s:wifikey
Scanning does work and shows all the available wifi networks, but connecting to one is impossible.

I’ve even manually added my data to /etc/network/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.conf but somehow, Toon is changing the mac address to the router in the attic.
I’m unable to change my settings as once I do a reboot, all the changes I made will be overwritten by previous data.

I hope you’ll be able to help me out.
Thanks in advance

EDIT (marcelr): moved to firmware topic. Not really a rooting issue.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

I’ve finally rooted a Toon, but unfortunately I’m now unable to connect to my wireless network.
You didn't accidentally disconnect (one of) the wifi antenna leads while reassembling your toon? When you scan for networks, what does that say in the message log (output of dmesg)?
Manyakim
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Manyakim »

All cables were connected correctly and Toon was even able to scan and find all the surrounding wifi connections, but it was unable to connect to one.

As last resort, i did a factory reset and during the initialization, i was able to connect to a new access point.
So i did and now i'm connected to my wifi router.

But in case i install a new router, i still need to do a factory reset to my Toon, but that's OK by me, as i have a rooted Toon :)

MarcelR, thank you so much in making this information available and a BIG THANKS to all the members in contributing to this site.

I'm Happy :)
klaphekje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by klaphekje »

I´ve updated Toon today to version 3.7.9 and it has made Toon extremely slow. Practicaly unusable.
After every touch/click it takes 3 - 4 seconds before the screen responds.

Did anyone encounter something like this before?

FYI: The update overwrites the iptables config to defaults and moves it from "etc/iptables.conf" to /etc/default/iptables.conf".
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Toon is tight on RAM. You may want to take a look at the output of the top command.

Code: Select all

toon:~# top
This gives (with a 3s refresh rate) on my 3.218 production toon:

Mem: 110204K used, 15504K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 9928K cached
CPU:  10% usr  21% sys   0% nic  66% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
Load average: 0.46 0.51 0.46 1/150 31290
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %MEM %CPU COMMAND

In later FW versions, the numbers in the top line are quite different (free memory less than 2 MB). Could very well be at least part of the problem.
klaphekje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by klaphekje »

I still have 10M available, its not much but its not entirely full either.

Mem: 115928K used, 9720K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 18700K cached
CPU:  12% usr  34% sys   0% nic  53% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq
Load average: 1.29 0.97 1.03 2/149 1786
Do you know if is it possible to disable processes like hue, smartplug, weather etc to free up resources? or does that crash the system?

and as a last resort, is it possible to roll back the update?
cygnusx
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cygnusx »

So i'm at a old Toon version, around 3.2.16 if i'm right.... I have the QT interface but didnt update it for months.

Is there anything new that i would like? Or should i stay at the firmware that i'm at? I can't find any release notes...
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Most likely you're on 3.2.18 (the release before that was 3.2.14). Anyway, my production toon has 3.2.18 as well, even though I could upgrade, I've never felt the need so far. Apparently, newer fw has z-wave plus support, which is required for the newer fibaro plugs. I don't have these.

Never seen release notes or changelogs for that matter. The only update info available is at eneco's forum, and that's pretty limited (better WiFi, improved GUI response, bugfixes, that kind of lingo). Nothing concrete.

Return to “Toon Firmware”