Toon app: Buienradar

Forum about forum-provided applications on Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

hanplo
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon app: Buienradar

Post by hanplo »

hanplo wrote:I installed the latest version of Toonstore and Buienradar at once. I just uninstalled the latest version of Buienradar, restarted Toon and installed the latest version of Buienradar again. No solution of the problem I sucribed in my earlier post. Is there a solution?
Buienradar is working fine now! Top and Thanx!
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I have rooted my Toon a long time ago and haven't really been keeping up because the things I wanted worked. Only now that buienradar found it necessary to switch to https, I had to spend time on it again.

Would it be possible to post a clean current procedure for installing buienradar under Manuals/tutorials? I have read through 9 pages of postings on the subject, but was still unable to get it working.

As I understand the procedure should be:
  1. Open up your router for Toon to reach buienradar.nl and domoticaforum.eu
  2. Uninstall/remove any old buienradar app that predates ToonStore.
  3. Obtain the latest toonstore ipk from http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Toon/apps
  4. Install the toostore ipk using: opkg install toonstore_*.ipk
  5. Reboot the Toon.
  6. In the ToonStore, activate the + icon of the Buienradar app
  7. Press "Toon Bijwerken"
  8. Toon will reboot automatically
  9. Configure the buienradar app
As I understand it, all the other suggestions in the tread are outdated. The latest Buienradar versions should work on pre-4.x Toon firmware again, and the cron package is no longer needed. Right?

Step 8 is where things stoped working for me. When I press "Toon Bijwerken", I get the main screen back, but nothing else happens. I waited over an hour to be sure I didn't jump to conclusions. I did find a file called packages_to_install.txt under /tmp that contained the string buienradar-8.3.1. I guess that is placed there by ToonStore.

So then I decided to download and install the buienradar ipk myself. It complains that it has a dependency on tsc-certificates, which can be found under http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Toon/pkgs. I installed the 1.0.1 version. After that it was possible to install the buienradar ipk.

I then rebooted the Toon again, because apparently that's what ToonStore also does. That sounds a bit windowsy to me and should not normally be necessary on linux, but OK.

After the reboot, my passwordless ssh login didn't work anymore. Apparently the Buienradar ipk changes the permissions for the /root directory from 755 to 775. That makes sshd not trust the authorized_keys file anymore and thus disallows public key authentication.

Anyway, after all this I have a buienradar app. But all the pages only contain the static data. There is no weather information and the page to select a weather station is completely empty.

So what am I missing here?

Additional information: I tried this with ToonStore 1.1.0. When I tell ToonStore to update itself to 1.1.1, again it does nothing. My Toon firmware version is 3.2.18.
Schelte
michel30

Post by michel30 »

Do you have buienradar already on your Toon?
But it does not work anymore?

You can add manual an certificate in the backend of your Toon and buienradar will be working back.
see tropic certificate in this forum.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Problems solved!

More detailed debugging showed that something messed up my /etc/hosts file. There should be 5 lines, but it was all on one line. I corrected that, but a little later it was all on one line again. I haven't figured out what causes that. But as a result of the corrupt hosts file, toon contacted my DNS server to resolve feed.hae.int. That returned some catch-all IP address for the domain. ToonStore then tried to obtain some data from that address, without success (404). That stopped the whole installation process. As a quick fix I made my DNS server return 127.0.0.1 for feed.hae.int. After that "Toon Bijwerken" actually managed to update ToonStore to 1.1.1. As it turns out, this doesn't involve rebooting Toon. only qt-gui is restarted.

Next, the allowance by my router for Toon to contact buienradar.nl can only work with http. The router has no way to check the url inside an encrypted https connection. So I had to completely open up https. This means security is actually decreased due to buienradar using https.

Anyway, buienradar is working now. Sorry for the noise.
Thanks guys, for the great work on both buienradar and toonstore.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

It's "Toon Bijwerken" that messes up /etc/hosts.
Before (ToonStore open, new app selected):

Code: Select all

toon:~# cat /etc/hosts
# <persistent /etc/hosts content from /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1 ping.quby.nl
# </persistent /etc/hosts content from /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost toon
127.0.0.1  feed.hae.int feed
After (pressed "Toon Bijwerken" and even before qt-gui restarts):

Code: Select all

toon:~# cat /etc/hosts
# <persistent /etc/hosts content from /etc/hosts.template file>127.0.0.1 ping.quby.nl# </persistent /etc/hosts content from /etc/hosts.template file>127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost toon127.0.0.1  feed.hae.int feed
Schelte
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Hmmm .. looks like a glitch in the toonstore postinstaller. Will check (My production toon is still 3.2.18).
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

hvxl wrote:I have rooted my Toon a long time ago and haven't really been keeping up because the things I wanted worked. Only now that buienradar found it necessary to switch to https, I had to spend time on it again.

Would it be possible to post a clean current procedure for installing buienradar under Manuals/tutorials? I have read through 9 pages of postings on the subject, but was still unable to get it working.

As I understand the procedure should be:
  1. Open up your router for Toon to reach buienradar.nl and domoticaforum.eu
  2. Uninstall/remove any old buienradar app that predates ToonStore.
  3. Obtain the latest toonstore ipk from http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Toon/apps
  4. Install the toostore ipk using: opkg install toonstore_*.ipk
  5. Reboot the Toon.
  6. In the ToonStore, activate the + icon of the Buienradar app
  7. Press "Toon Bijwerken"
  8. Toon will reboot automatically
  9. Configure the buienradar app
As I understand it, all the other suggestions in the tread are outdated. The latest Buienradar versions should work on pre-4.x Toon firmware again, and the cron package is no longer needed. Right?

Step 8 is where things stoped working for me. When I press "Toon Bijwerken", I get the main screen back, but nothing else happens. I waited over an hour to be sure I didn't jump to conclusions. I did find a file called packages_to_install.txt under /tmp that contained the string buienradar-8.3.1. I guess that is placed there by ToonStore.

So then I decided to download and install the buienradar ipk myself. It complains that it has a dependency on tsc-certificates, which can be found under http://files.domoticaforum.eu/index.php?cam=/Toon/pkgs. I installed the 1.0.1 version. After that it was possible to install the buienradar ipk.

I then rebooted the Toon again, because apparently that's what ToonStore also does. That sounds a bit windowsy to me and should not normally be necessary on linux, but OK.

After the reboot, my passwordless ssh login didn't work anymore. Apparently the Buienradar ipk changes the permissions for the /root directory from 755 to 775. That makes sshd not trust the authorized_keys file anymore and thus disallows public key authentication.

Anyway, after all this I have a buienradar app. But all the pages only contain the static data. There is no weather information and the page to select a weather station is completely empty.

So what am I missing here?

Additional information: I tried this with ToonStore 1.1.0. When I tell ToonStore to update itself to 1.1.1, again it does nothing. My Toon firmware version is 3.2.18.
Why dont you update to 4.8.x (normal root procedure) or 4.10.6 (busybox extra steps) ?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

small update to the Buienradar app now available on ToonStore.
Changelog version 8.3.2:
- added additonal options on the big buienradar screen to also select
radarimages for the next hour, the next 3 hours and the next 24 hours.

8.3.2.png
8.3.2.png (16.77 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
Kind regardz,

Toonz
member of the Toon Software Collective
glsf91

Post by glsf91 »

Is it also possible to add Motregenradar ?

It should also be nice if touching Regenverwachting that the "Actuale buienrader" shows up instead of the settings.
Same when touching the little buienradar picture at "Actueel weer plus verwachting".
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

glsf91 wrote:Is it also possible to add Motregenradar ?
Probably yes, will have a look
EDIT 22:40 : done, will be in 8.3.3
glsf91 wrote:It should also be nice if touching Regenverwachting that the "Actuale buienrader" shows up instead of the settings.
Guess not, how to configure the exact location for the regenverwachting in that case?
glsf91 wrote:Same when touching the little buienradar picture at "Actueel weer plus verwachting".
Good idea !!
EDIT 22:40 : done, will be in 8.3.3
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Buienradar 8.3.2 still changes the permissions on /root, breaking access using a public key. As far as I can tell, the group write permission is not needed for the app to work. So it would be nice if you could also correct that in a future version.
Schelte
glsf91

Post by glsf91 »

Toonz wrote:
glsf91 wrote:Is it also possible to add Motregenradar ?
glsf91 wrote:It should also be nice if touching Regenverwachting that the "Actuale buienrader" shows up instead of the settings.
Guess not, how to configure the exact location for the regenverwachting in that case?
Thanks!

Maybe add it as an extra button at the upper line at the screen "Actuele buienradar", like it is like Weerstation on "Actueel weer plus weersverwachting" ?
If somebody else touches Regenverwachting they get a screen they don't understand and chances of changing it. So to hide it a little bit would be nice. and then you can show Actuele buienradar :D .
Just my opinion.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

hvxl wrote:Buienradar 8.3.2 still changes the permissions on /root, breaking access using a public key. As far as I can tell, the group write permission is not needed for the app to work. So it would be nice if you could also correct that in a future version.
Will have a look when creating the 8.3.3 installer. You're right that we do not need it for the app now we support https natively.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

hvxl wrote: After the reboot, my passwordless ssh login didn't work anymore. Apparently the Buienradar ipk changes the permissions for the /root directory from 755 to 775. That makes sshd not trust the authorized_keys file anymore and thus disallows public key authentication.
@Toonz: Can this be changed in an upcoming version? Although it's probably not the app itself, but a (Toonstore?) post-install scripts of sorts.

My root-password is pretty hard, so I prefer key-logins.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Rudolf wrote:
hvxl wrote: After the reboot, my passwordless ssh login didn't work anymore. Apparently the Buienradar ipk changes the permissions for the /root directory from 755 to 775. That makes sshd not trust the authorized_keys file anymore and thus disallows public key authentication.
@Toonz: Can this be changed in an upcoming version? Although it's probably not the app itself, but a (Toonstore?) post-install scripts of sorts.

My root-password is pretty hard, so I prefer key-logins.
Yes, already corrected in the post-install script. I will post a new version of buienradar soonish which should not touch root anymore.

Return to “Toon Apps”