Toon firmware - update script

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

maomanna
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Toon firmware - update script

Post by maomanna »

marcelr wrote:I think you were warned that this would happen...
No, unfortunatly not. When I told them that I was disappointed, they offer to replace the toon with a certified one without root.
Im not sure what uboot I will get then and if this tutorial fits that uboot. Is it for uboot 2010-09-r10?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

maomanna wrote:
marcelr wrote:I think you were warned that this would happen...
No, unfortunatly not. When I told them that I was disappointed, they offer to replace the toon with a certified one without root.
Im not sure what uboot I will get then and if this tutorial fits that uboot. Is it for uboot 2010-09-r10?
r10 is the one with unknown/encoded password so you need the jtag stuff for that (also in the tutorial).

However, there is probably no reason for you to do an update. Only if you use philips hue, you need to update to 4.13.7 to get it working again. But for most other users updating is not really necessary.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Thanks for this; smooth upgrade from 4.9.23 to 4.10.6 last night.

I'm using Hue; what version breaks this functionality? Do you recommend a certain version?
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

Rudolf wrote:Thanks for this; smooth upgrade from 4.9.23 to 4.10.6 last night.

I'm using Hue; what version breaks this functionality? Do you recommend a certain version?
4.11.6 breaks Hue, don't know about older versions.
Recommended is 4.13.7 or higher if you use Hue.
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Thanks for the info; I'll definitely skip 4.11.6 - 4.13.6. For now I'll stick to 4.10.6.

Hue is still working in 4.10.6, took me a while to verify that because updating to 4.10.6 breaks VNC-access.

VNC was still installed, but it was not the correct version.
Here is the download:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11966&p=85175&hili ... .9.#p85189
opkg install-ing that package fixed it for me.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

HUE should be ony fixed in 4.13.7 as philips did some modification so on all older firmwares it should be broken. But then again.. it's still working on 4.10.6 for you.. so that's weird :D
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Sorry for the confusion; I'm not using the real Hue; I'm using emulated_hue from Home Assistant.
That still works on 4.10.6; I hope it will in future updates.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Yes the emulated hue works fine :)
Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

How hard would it be to perform such a Update on TOON (without SSH)

And also put the program into TOONStore?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Hypermobile wrote:How hard would it be to perform such a Update on TOON (without SSH)

First problem is that the apps on the Toon don't allow interaction with the command line linux commands. So you can't start a script on the linux side of the toon from the Toon GUI.

There is a way around that, which Toonstore is using. Long story. And I know that the people responsible for toonstore are trying to integrate the update script into the toonstore but it is not easy to do. And with all this sunshine,.. :D

However I do recommend to get familiar with SSH/linux commands as owning a rooted Toon does require that skills from time to time. Or ask/hire a friendly forum member to do it for you.
Hypermobile

Post by Hypermobile »

TheHogNL wrote:
Hypermobile wrote:How hard would it be to perform such a Update on TOON (without SSH)

First problem is that the apps on the Toon don't allow interaction with the command line linux commands. So you can't start a script on the linux side of the toon from the Toon GUI.

There is a way around that, which Toonstore is using. Long story. And I know that the people responsible for toonstore are trying to integrate the update script into the toonstore but it is not easy to do. And with all this sunshine,.. :D

However I do recommend to get familiar with SSH/linux commands as owning a rooted Toon does require that skills from time to time. Or ask/hire a friendly forum member to do it for you.
ssh is not the problem; it's just a question that popped up my mind.

the script worked great :-)
ArieKanarie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ArieKanarie »

My cirrent version is 3.2.18, I ran the script three times now but the version remains 3.2.18.
Tried to upgrade to 3.2.20, and 4.10.16 twice.

Only result is that the apps from the toonstore finally are installed: before the upgrade nothing happend when I selected an app and clicked "Toon bijwerken".
tried everything, editing hosts file, etc, only after the update (attemps) they are installed.
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

Your firmware 3.2.18 isn’t a default one so you need to force updating using the “-v 4.10.6” parameter
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

ArieKanarie wrote:My cirrent version is 3.2.18, I ran the script three times now but the version remains 3.2.18.
Tried to upgrade to 3.2.20, and 4.10.16 twice.

Only result is that the apps from the toonstore finally are installed: before the upgrade nothing happend when I selected an app and clicked "Toon bijwerken".
tried everything, editing hosts file, etc, only after the update (attemps) they are installed.
What is the output of the script?
ArieKanarie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ArieKanarie »

TerrorSource wrote:Your firmware 3.2.18 isn’t a default one so you need to force updating using the “-v 4.10.6” parameter
That didn't make any difference.
TheHogNL wrote:What is the output of the script?
You mean the output during the process, or can I find a logfile somewhere?

Return to “Toon Firmware”