Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

PurpleBlue
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Hardware: Toon metering module, "meteradapter"

Post by PurpleBlue »

Hi,

Is there a way to use 1 Meteradapter for both P1 reading, and "zon op Toon" using the analog port to read the s0 port on the KWH meter?
Or do I have to use 2 Meteradapter? (1 for P1, and 1 for "zon op Toon")

I have 2 Meteradapters, but don't have 2 powersockets available)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

PurpleBlue wrote:Hi,

Is there a way to use 1 Meteradapter for both P1 reading, and "zon op Toon" using the analog port to read the s0 port on the KWH meter?
Or do I have to use 2 Meteradapter? (1 for P1, and 1 for "zon op Toon")

I have 2 Meteradapters, but don't have 2 powersockets available)

Yes that is the normal setup. Use the 'electric' analog port (yellow icon) of the meteradapter for the S0. If you want to connect full electrical (and not use a led sensor), check this diagram: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11969&hilit=zon+op ... =15#p85351
Member of the Toon Software Collective
PurpleBlue
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by PurpleBlue »

TheHogNL wrote: Yes that is the normal setup. Use the 'electric' analog port (yellow icon) of the meteradapter for the S0. If you want to connect full electrical (and not use a led sensor), check this diagram: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=11969&hilit=zon+op ... =15#p85351
Thanks!
I did find the post you are pointing at earlier.
The jackplug is already shipped for the S0 port ;)
warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by warp »

Dear all,
I'm living in Luxembourg, but would like to install the toon at home.
Obviously it will have to be a rooted one (or I will do it by myself...I played with JTAG in my early life ;-) )
I was wondering, about the sensors, if these are only optical sensors ?
My gas meter is a very old one, with only a reed switch.
Are there sensors compatible with that technology ?

I would have a second question : is the boiler module compatible with both on/off and opentherm ?
Or do I have to look specifically for an opentherm boiler module ?

Thanks.
Warp
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

warp wrote:Dear all,
Obviously it will have to be a rooted one (or I will do it by myself...I played with JTAG in my early life ;-) )

I would have a second question : is the boiler module compatible with both on/off and opentherm ?
So your gasmeter doesn't have a reflecting zero in the counter? That is necessary for the Toon. Reed switch is maybe possible (it's just electronics) but that would require some good old try it yourself.

The boiler module from Toon is both on/off and opentherm. At Toon boot the module will try to detect opentherm and if it doesn't get any response from the boiler it will switch to on/off
warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by warp »

TheHogNL wrote:
warp wrote:Dear all,

So your gasmeter doesn't have a reflecting zero in the counter? That is necessary for the Toon. Reed switch is maybe possible (it's just electronics) but that would require some good old try it yourself.

The boiler module from Toon is both on/off and opentherm. At Toon boot the module will try to detect opentherm and if it doesn't get any response from the boiler it will switch to on/off
I think I already have the answer.
The installation I’ve seen has a very old water meter,
and the sensor is somehow inserted in the meter.
There must be a magnet inside, and the sensor works with a reed switch.
As you say it’s just electronics. The difficulty is not to build the sensor,
but to understand how it has to communicate with the “hub”.
Most probably the sensors send a logical 0 or 1 permanently, then a 1 or 0 when there is a state change.
Next step therefore is to buy a toon and play with it.
warp
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by warp »

After checking the gas meter, indeed it has a mirror (on the 6, not the 0) so it will be easy to integrate it.
Are the sensors compatible with both a blinking led and a mirror, or are these 2 specific sensors (or bliknined led is not supported ?) ?
Thanks.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

warp wrote:After checking the gas meter, indeed it has a mirror (on the 6, not the 0) so it will be easy to integrate it.
Are the sensors compatible with both a blinking led and a mirror, or are these 2 specific sensors (or bliknined led is not supported ?) ?
Thanks.
Yes both compatible. On start it will first emmit a blue light which should detect the refelecting 6 (best to consume some gas at that time to let the toon learn the gas metering faster).
In the meanwhile it also tries to detect a pulsing led. When light is received when the blue led isn't on, that means thad a pulsing led is used.

However that is only for elec. meters. For gas meters a blinking led is not common as this requires constant power (without battery) in the gasmeter and that is not allowed due to gasexplosion possibilities.
CrumNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CrumNL »

Is there any way to somehow find out the zwave signal strenght, of if any signals are seen at all, on the toon itself ?
I don't have any other tools to measure it and since Toon doesn't want to see my meteradapter anymore.
It has been disconnected and disassembled for about 2-3 months but since I got it back up an running again 12 hours ago, it doesn't show any connection with it.
It worked fine (2-3 stars if I remember correct) before.

When I look at getdevices on /hdr_zwave/ it confirms it doesn't see it

Code: Select all

, "DeviceName": "Meetmodule 1", "CurrentSensorStatus": "UNKNOWN"}, "dev_2.1": 
When I follow the 're-pairing' process, Toon doesn't see anything it seems. My knowledge about zwave is pretty limited so I'm looking for a way to test the antenna or zwave receiver on Toon if it works at all. I did notice the cable got stuck in one of my gazillion disassembling efforts while playing with it so it may be that the antenna itself doesn't work well anymore. But before getting a new one somewhere, I rather check -if possible- if something else is wrong.
Last edited by CrumNL on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

There is a page like http://toon-ip/hdrv_zwave/ But you can't do very much there.

But probably you have just simply a disconnect zwave antenna cable. In the toon 1 there are three antenna's. Two for the wifi and one for zwave. Both wifi antenna's have a black and white wire and are the longest wires. They connect to the pigtail on the wifi add-on chip. The zwave is also black but much shorter wire and connects to the pigtail just next to the jtag/serial pins. Also check the pigtail itself. I have seen some toons where the pigtail came loose from the mainboard.

And finally try to reinstall the zwave controller firmware (firmware-zwave-ctrlr) using opkg.
CrumNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CrumNL »

I pulled it out again to see if something was not right, at first glance it doesn't seem to be broken on the board.
When I connect the cable, it clicks and stays in place while being able to rotate.
The picture doesn't show properly in this size so this is what it looks like

I reinstalled the firmware
[..]
Installing firmware-zwave-ctrlr (1.48-master) to root...
Downloading http://feed.hae.int/feeds/qb2/uni/5.13. ... er_qb2.ipk.
[..]
But still no-go. I put the meteradapter below the Toon so it is close enough for sure but it just doesn't connect :-|
The CV does turn on when I change the temperature, does that also work with zwave or is that an additional signal that is sent via the power lines ?
Since if that is zwave as well, I can be fairly sure that Toon works and it may be the adapter itself ?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

You could try and install ozwcp and its deps (from the forum's ftp server). That doesn't really help in solving broken hardware, but at least you will have a very detailed logging of what's going on in the zwave controller.
CrumNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CrumNL »

Sounds like something I was looking for so I'll check it out somewhere later today, thanks
CrumNL
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by CrumNL »

marcelr wrote:You could try and install ozwcp and its deps (from the forum's ftp server). That doesn't really help in solving broken hardware, but at least you will have a very detailed logging of what's going on in the zwave controller.
Looks great, after having the dependencies installed, firewall open for 8090 and creating softlinks in /lib for the .so and .so.1.4 libraries, it worked.
Or, at least, it starts , which is a step forward anyway :)

Code: Select all

toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# ./ozwcp
./ozwcp: error while loading shared libraries: libopenzwave.so.1.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# locate
-sh: locate: not found
toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# ls /usr/local/lib/libopenzwave.so
libopenzwave.so      libopenzwave.so.1.4
toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# ln -s /usr/local/lib/libopenzwave.so /lib/libopenzwave.so
toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# ln -s /usr/local/lib/libopenzwave.so.1.4 /lib/libopenzwave.so.1.4
toon:/usr/local/bin/ozwcp# ./ozwcp
2019-09-08 20:40:28.945 Error, Cannot find a path to the configuration files at ./config/, Using /usr//etc/openzwave/ instead...
2019-09-08 20:40:28.979 Info, Reading /usr//etc/openzwave/options.xml for Options
2019-09-08 20:40:28.982 Warning, Failed to Parse options.xml: Failed to open file
2019-09-08 20:40:29.020 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.164 Starting Up
webserver starting at port 8090
It looks like I have some unknown grounds to explore or read more in the forums to see how this works exactly and how to get the devicename but I'll figure it out I suppose.
Thanks for the tool, looks very interesting.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Just access your toon with a web browser at port 8090. You may need to open that port in the firewall (iptables.conf). This will give you the control panel for openzwave, and all information including logging.

Return to “Toon Hardware”