Forum about Toon hardware, both versions 1 and 2 of Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Reading Line Amps from P1 / Toon

Post by ovdleun »

Hi all,

I have 3-phase utility connection in my home. The meter has been replaced with a ISKRA AM550 SMR5.0 from 2019. I've checked the specification and it should support the following OBIS references:
Instantaneous current L1 > 1-0:31.7.0.255
Instantaneous current L2 > 1-0:51.7.0.255
Instantaneous current L3 > 1-0:71.7.0.255

(SRC: https://www.netbeheernederland.nl/_uplo ... fce1f1.pdf)

The show the amount of Amps on each phase.
At the moment we have 3x35A however the net maintainer discovered that they are still billing us for 3x25; Because it will cost me an additional ~ 700 EUR each year I want to downgrade to 3x25A;
I made an inventory of the (max) power consumption on each phase however I'd like to make really sure 3x25A would be sufficient (it should be). Therefore I'd like to know exactly the usage on the phases. I successfully rooted Toon and I'd like to keep using the P1 through Toon because that way A) I don't have to change a lot and B) Toon can still show the usage.

Does anyone know if the P1 sensor from Eneco/Toon supports these values? Because then I open http://toon/hdrv_zwave?action=getDevices.json ; It only shows the delivered/used power and no amps.
Hopefully this is possible else I need to figure out something else..

Thanks!
Regards,
Onno.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Reading Line Amps from P1 / Toon

Post by TheHogNL »

No I haven't see phase P1 data in the Toon yet.

However, 3x25A is most of the time enough. Can you list the electrical devices you have in your house on the three fases? Why did you choose to install 3x35A anyways?

I have 3x25A also with a 9kW heatpump, 2kW boiler and 3-fase induction cooker (and ofcourse dishwaser, dryer, washingmachine etc).
Member of the Toon Software Collective
ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ovdleun »

Hi TheHogNL,

The apparently 3x35A was already there when we bought the house. I was always under the assumption that it was the regular 3x25A ;o)
I guess they installed 3x35A because the former owners had a swimming pool.

I do agree that the 3x25A will be just sufficient. When you say you also have a 9kW heat pump, I'm even more sure it will be sufficient as the only other large user I have is a charger for the car.
I believe I don't have any more 'exotic' devices other than the default ones you also might have. I only know I might move the dryer/washing machine to L3 to even out the load.

Reason I'd like to have the Amps per phase data is to get at least some insights. :) So I figured I'll ask and search before building anything. But I guess I just need to add a P1 splitter so Toon can get its default info and I can get all the other info to Domoticz.

Regards,
Onno.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

ovdleun wrote:Hi TheHogNL,

But I guess I just need to add a P1 splitter so Toon can get its default info and I can get all the other info to Domoticz.

Regards,
Onno.
Yes this would be the only way to do it. I don't think the Toon even reads the p1 telegrams for individual phases
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

The meter adapter reads the P1 packets and passes relevant data to toon. What happens inside the meter adapter and what data are sent through the zwave connections remains unclear. Whatever it is, the zwave controller inside toon does not pass raw P1 packet data to the processor.
ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ovdleun »

marcelr wrote:The meter adapter reads the P1 packets and passes relevant data to toon. What happens inside the meter adapter and what data are sent through the zwave connections remains unclear. Whatever it is, the zwave controller inside toon does not pass raw P1 packet data to the processor.
Thanks Marcelr. I already thought something like that. Too bad ;o)
Therefore I bought a USB P1 cable. Works perfectly and gives me the info I need in combi with DSMR Reader.. however .. ;) I think I'm overlooking something with my splitter.
I've disconnected p1 (black) from one of the output sockets to prevent both adapter for providing vcc. But one of the adapters is doing something that makes the other stop working. When I connect the USB P1 cable from my rPi to the splitter on the unmodified port, I nicely get the telegrams. As soon as I connect the Toon meter adapter to the modified port, it kinda takes over and my USB adapter isn't showing any telegrams anymore. Same happens when I reverse the cables. But then only Toon will ever receive them.

So I might be overlooking something. Any hints are welcome ;o)

Cheers,
Onno.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I don't have experience with that myself but I did read manytimes that that is the way to do it. Probably look into tweakers.net forum we a lot of people are doing the same (not sure with Toon but ok). Or maybe someone else in this forum does understand wat is going wrong in your setup.
ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ovdleun »

That's why it's so annoying ;) I've read many posts with schematics and have done exactly the same without the same result. haha
But I think connecting both might cause the signal levels to drop to a point that the Toon meter adapter might be sensitive enough to pick it up but my USB cable in unable to. So I'm going to test with shorter cables. If that's not going to work then I'll desolder the pull-up resistor from the USB cable and see if that helps. ;)

I'll report any results for future use. But any other ideas are always welcome!
ovdleun
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ovdleun »

I see I completely forgot to post an update on this. The problem was caused by the resistor in the USB adapter, pulling up the REQ line high with the 5V.
Removing it solved the problem and now I'm able to use DSMR reader together with the Toon sensor module.

Cheers,
Onno.
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

TheHogNL wrote:
ovdleun wrote:Hi TheHogNL,

But I guess I just need to add a P1 splitter so Toon can get its default info and I can get all the other info to Domoticz.

Regards,
Onno.
I don't think the Toon even reads the p1 telegrams for individual phases
I decompiled hdrv_p1 and took a look at the things the Toon reads from the p1 interface:
  • AnalogElectricity Quantity
  • DigitalElectricity Quantity
  • Electricity Flow Delivered
  • Electricity Flow Delivered NtLt (I guess Not low tarrif)
  • Electricity Flow Delivered no tarrif
  • Electricity Flow Total
  • Electricity Flow Import Export
  • handleFilterQuantityResponse (??)
  • Gas Flow
  • Water Flow

Return to “Toon Hardware”