Toon firmware - update script

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, TerrorSource, Toonz

Re: Toon firmware - update script

Postby Tomm1ed » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:27 am

Since I'd really like to have the QR code app on my Toon I decided to run the update script but something appears to have gone horrible wrong.
Situation: Version 4.15.2 installed with 50MB free diskspace, connected through UTP. I downloaded the script and ran it like this: sh update-rooted.sh. It told me it had a newer version so I let it update. The update however fails:

Code: Select all
===================================================================================
Welcome to the rooted Toon upgrade script. This script will try to upgrade your Toon using your original connection with Eneco. It will start the VPN if necessary.
Please be advised that running this script is at your own risk!

Version: 3.994  - TheHogNL & TerrorSource & yjb - 30-9-2019

If you like the update script for rooted toons you can support me. Any donation is welcome and helps me developing the script even more.
https://paypal.me/pools/c/8bU3eQp1Jt

===================================================================================================================================================================

You are currently running version 4.15.2 on a qb2 with flavour uni

Available versions: 1.9.10 2.1.0 2.2.24 2.3.17 2.3.29 2.3.36 2.4.7 2.4.12 2.5.11 2.5.14 2.5.18 2.6.24 2.6.33 2.8.16 2.8.21 2.8.27 2.9.15 2.9.26 2.10.15 3.0.29 3.0.32 3.1.22 3.2.14 3.2.18 3.2.21 3.3.8 3.4.2 3.4.4 3.5.4 3.6.3 3.7.8 3.7.9 4.3.20 4.4.21 4.7.23 4.8.25 4.9.23 4.9.124 4.10.6 4.11.6 4.12.0 4.13.6 4.13.7 4.15.2 4.15.6 4.16.8 4.18.8 4.19.10 4.20.7 4.22.7 5.0.4 5.0.5 5.0.6 5.2.11 5.5.7 5.9.6 5.13.9 5.13.12

Which version do you want to upgrade to?
Alright, I will try to upgrade to 5.0.4
Now starting the VPN tunnel and waiting for it to be alive and configured...
Tunnel is alive and configured.
Upgrade script downloaded. We need to download the upgrade files first. No upgrade is done yet. Do you want me to download the files (yes) or quit (anything else)?
yes
Starting the upgrade prepare option which downloads all necessary files. No upgrade is done yet.
Waiting to finish. Sometimes this takes a minute or two
Done preparing.
Are your sure you want to upgrade to 5.0.4 (yes)? This is the last moment you can stop the upgrade. Answer with 'yes' will start the upgrade.
yes
Starting the upgrade now! Just wait a while... It can take a few minutes.
Progress: 0%
update-rooted.sh: line 957: rm: not found
Upgrade failed. Please check the logs at /mnt/data/update/upgrade-qb2.sh.log
Quitting the upgrade. It was a nice try tho...
update-rooted.sh: line 957: /usr/bin/killall: not found
update-rooted.sh: line 957: /usr/sbin/iptables-restore: not found

Now;

- I am still logged on through SSH but no commands appear to work (e.g. ls, cp, top)
eneco-001-370123:/usr/sbin# ls
-sh: /bin/ls: not found
eneco-001-370123:/usr/sbin# /bin/ls
-sh: /bin/ls: not found
eneco-001-370123:/usr/sbin# /root/update-rooted.sh
-sh: /root/update-rooted.sh: Permission denied

- New connections through SSH are allowed but the Password that the guy I bought it from doesn't work (it tells me Access denied)
- The Screen shows 'Restarting' and empty tiles but does not appear to restart.

In short; what can I do to save my Toon? Should I restart it by cycling Power?
Tomm1ed
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby TheHogNL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:30 am

Tomm1ed wrote:In short; what can I do to save my Toon? Should I restart it by cycling Power?

I think something failed during busybox update. All (most of) the command are linked to busybox and if busybox fails nothing works anymore. But there is no way to check this while you are still logged in.

Only way to recover from this is to start the toon recovery script so it can boot from network. From their you could check that log file where it actually went wrong

edit: I just sent you a PM to whatsapp me.. maybe there is still a way to fix it while you are still logged in
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Edwin66 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:54 am

It seems that my VPN isn't there :(

Which version do you want to upgrade to?
Alright, I will try to upgrade to 5.0.4
Could not enable VPN in a normal reasonable time!
DEBUG information:
192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link src 192.168.0.4
default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0 metric 10
# <persistent /etc/hosts content can be added to /etc/hosts.template file>
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost eneco-001-344210
127.0.0.1 feed.hae.int feed
127.0.0.1 ping.quby.nl
END DEBUG information
Quitting the upgrade. It was a nice try tho...
killall: openvpn: no process killed

opkg install openvpn_2.3.11-r1_qb2.ipk
Installing openvpn (2.3.11-r1) to root...
Configuring openvpn.

which vpn returns nothing.

I guess this is where much of my problems come from.
Toon® (rooted) | Hue bulbs | TRÅDFRI bulbs | Smart Plug | Domoticz latest BETA |

I'm not a programmer, just wish things work MY way
Edwin66

Postby TheHogNL » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Edwin66 wrote:It seems that my VPN isn't there :(

Start the vpn manually and paste the output here "/usr/sbin/openvpn --config /etc/openvpn/vpn.conf"
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tomm1ed » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 pm

TheHogNL wrote:
Tomm1ed wrote:In short; what can I do to save my Toon? Should I restart it by cycling Power?

I think something failed during busybox update. All (most of) the command are linked to busybox and if busybox fails nothing works anymore. But there is no way to check this while you are still logged in.

Only way to recover from this is to start the toon recovery script so it can boot from network. From their you could check that log file where it actually went wrong

edit: I just sent you a PM to whatsapp me.. maybe there is still a way to fix it while you are still logged in

Thanks for your help so far, the Toon is on its way to you. Hopefully you can find the issue so other people won't run into the same issue :)
Tomm1ed
Starting Member
Starting Member

Postby mAiden » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:36 am

@TheHogNL,

Edwin got hes Toon rooted by Quby. I'm sure of it that they removed the VPN secret files and other files.
mAiden

Postby Edwin66 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:31 am

Yes.. I looked in it some more, and indeed those **** deleted everything VPN :(
Toon® (rooted) | Hue bulbs | TRÅDFRI bulbs | Smart Plug | Domoticz latest BETA |

Edwin66

Postby mAiden » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 am

Edwin66 wrote:Yes.. I looked in it some more, and indeed those **** deleted everything VPN :(

Tonight i will look what i can do for you. Maybe i can make a backup of my Toon1 he VPN, you can use that one. Will look for you tonight, if it can, i will PM you all the details and files. :)
mAiden

Postby TheHogNL » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Tomm1ed wrote:Thanks for your help so far, the Toon is on its way to you. Hopefully you can find the issue so other people won't run into the same issue :)

Ok got your Toon today and found out what happened. First of all, the update-rooted script is now patched for this! And problem is with the official upgrade script from Eneco/Quby.

What happened is that in the old (pre-4.x) firmware update location (/HCBv2/tmp/opkg-cache) there still was an old quby update script waiting. This script was so old and didn't support the update to 5.x (something related to glibc being update). While the update-rooted script downloads a new version of the quby update script (in the new location /mnt/data/update) this new script was overwritten by the old script due to a migration rule running during the firmware update. So, during the firmware update the old script was running (without proper support for 5.x firmwares) instead of the new script.This in turn caused that glibc was not update correctly and whithout glibc libraries every program on the toon fails.

My patch in the update-rooted is just remove all old quby update-script from the old location.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Edwin66 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 am

mAiden wrote:
Edwin66 wrote:Yes.. I looked in it some more, and indeed those **** deleted everything VPN :(

Tonight i will look what i can do for you. Maybe i can make a backup of my Toon1 he VPN, you can use that one. Will look for you tonight, if it can, i will PM you all the details and files. :)

Thanks for that.

Any luck with it?
Last edited by Edwin66 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edwin66

Postby TheHogNL » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:27 pm

TheHogNL wrote:
ricardogn wrote:Thanks for the tips. It's just the logo what starts on screen. No loading bar isn't on screen. I have to try with the UTP Cable.

Should i contact you by DM to discuss your offer?

If no loading bar is shown the UTP option is not working also. Just send you a DM with my offer.

Just got your toon and you are facing the same issue as this one which I checked yesterday: https://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic. ... 555#p91980
I'm now restoring your toon and will contact you to send it back asap.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Tomm1ed » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 pm

TheHogNL wrote:
Tomm1ed wrote:Thanks for your help so far, the Toon is on its way to you. Hopefully you can find the issue so other people won't run into the same issue :)

Ok got your Toon today and found out what happened. First of all, the update-rooted script is now patched for this! And problem is with the official upgrade script from Eneco/Quby.

What happened is that in the old (pre-4.x) firmware update location (/HCBv2/tmp/opkg-cache) there still was an old quby update script waiting. This script was so old and didn't support the update to 5.x (something related to glibc being update). While the update-rooted script downloads a new version of the quby update script (in the new location /mnt/data/update) this new script was overwritten by the old script due to a migration rule running during the firmware update. So, during the firmware update the old script was running (without proper support for 5.x firmwares) instead of the new script.This in turn caused that glibc was not update correctly and whithout glibc libraries every program on the toon fails.

My patch in the update-rooted is just remove all old quby update-script from the old location.

Thanks again TheHogNL! My Toon works like a charm again, glad you found the issue so future users won't run into this issue. Great job!!
Tomm1ed
Starting Member
Starting Member

Previous

Return to Toon Firmware