Toon firmware: issues (and solutions)

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Toon firmware: issues (and solutions)

Post by TheHogNL »

michel30 wrote: When I want to use your new scrip to upgrade my Toon from 4.11 to 4.13 can this directly?

Do I also need to uninstall some software? and do I need to add something on my Toon for receiving new package and do I need to open the vpn first and reboot and than start the scrip and wait.
Or just start the scrip and wait and everything is installed?
4.11 to 4.13 is done in one step indeed. No problem there. The rest will be handeld by the script (it downloads the official Eneco update script and uses that script to uninstall and install the necessary software). And yes the script will start the VPN for you (without rebooting) and will stop it if done.

regards, Igor
Member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Created a new version of the update script which will download the list of well known Toon versions from http://pasted.co/d2a9b1dc
So 4.13.7 is now also available using the update script.

From now on all questions about the script should be asked at the new thread at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=11996

See for the update script on the seperate forum post
Last edited by TheHogNL on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt88
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Matt88 »

I have a strange situation: After a successful update to 4.13.7 my Globals.qml file appears empty after reinstalling toonstore and a reboot.

Can someone share his Globals.qml file (firmware 4.13.7) ?

Many thanks in advance!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Here you go. It contains my installed apps but I'm sure you are able to fix that :P
http://ergens.org/toon/Globals-4.13.7.qml
Matt88
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Matt88 »

TheHogNL wrote:Here you go. It contains my installed apps but I'm sure you are able to fix that :P
http://ergens.org/toon/Globals-4.13.7.qml
Thanks a lot! It's working again :wink:
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Could you share a bit more details what you did? Want to know why your Globals.qml went empty.
Is your Toon's file system almost full? (run "df -h")
Did you reboot to soon after the toonstore install? Maybe a disk sync wasn't finished yet.
Matt88
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Matt88 »

I'm not sure about the cause of this issue but after the update to FW 4.13.7 I had to reinstall the toonstore.
Everything went well during the installation proces but toonstore didn't show up on my Toon.
So I checked the globals.qml, the app was not in the list of running apps so I activated it manually.

After saving this file and a reboot, Toon started up with only a white/empty screen.
I checked the globals.qml file again but this time the file was completely empty.
I guess it was a saving error or something like that, strange situation!
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Ok I think the write to the file was not completly done before you did the reboot. Make sure you do 'sync ; sync ' before rebooting just after a file change. A normal reboot should do this also but maybe the Toon reboot doesn't do a sync himself.
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

I've recently updated to FW 4.13.7 and noticed that the Wifi is dropping at least once a day. With Domoticz I now log with the "System Alive Checker (Ping)" how many times the network connection drops.
It seems to me this is happening way too often. Sometimes after a reboot it even has troubles to connect to the Wifi again. Reconnecting the Wifi from the Toon menu doesn't even work properly.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour on their Toon?

Code: Select all

2018-03-12 10:10:01	On
2018-03-12 10:08:33	Off
2018-03-12 09:40:28	On
2018-03-12 09:34:23	Off
2018-03-12 06:39:56	On
2018-03-12 05:47:39	Off
2018-03-12 05:35:40	On
2018-03-12 05:28:50	Off
2018-03-11 16:05:53	On
2018-03-11 16:03:39	Off
2018-03-11 16:00:47	On
2018-03-11 16:00:05	Off
2018-03-10 11:34:35	On
2018-03-10 11:33:52	Off
2018-03-10 11:29:36	On
2018-03-10 11:28:54	Off
I found some complaints on the official Toon forum about Wifi dropping, but there it's only speculating about resetting Toon for a few minutes and screwing up your Wifi settings on your router.
And oh man, they give eachother bad advice overthere...
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

FunFair wrote: I found some complaints on the official Toon forum about Wifi dropping, but there it's only speculating about resetting Toon for a few minutes and screwing up your Wifi settings on your router.
This is so true.. there are a few forum users at the official Toon forum which are really clueless.

I haven't seen wifi issue's with my Toon on 4.13.7. Maybe it is just a bad wifi signal? Try to bring your wifi settings down to the most simpel config (channel 1, 20Mhz bandwidth, allow 802.1b/g/n etc). Maybe it is just your wifi antenna inside your Toon which came loose from the connector during rooting?
maomanna
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by maomanna »

I'd like to update my toon from 3.7.9. to 4.x.x but it seems my VPN connection isnt working.
/etc/openvpn/vpn.conf exists and points to /etc/openvpn/vpn where my .cert & .key etc should be, but the directory vpn is missing.

How can i fix this problem?
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

TheHogNL wrote:
FunFair wrote: I found some complaints on the official Toon forum about Wifi dropping, but there it's only speculating about resetting Toon for a few minutes and screwing up your Wifi settings on your router.
This is so true.. there are a few forum users at the official Toon forum which are really clueless.

I haven't seen wifi issue's with my Toon on 4.13.7. Maybe it is just a bad wifi signal? Try to bring your wifi settings down to the most simpel config (channel 1, 20Mhz bandwidth, allow 802.1b/g/n etc). Maybe it is just your wifi antenna inside your Toon which came loose from the connector during rooting?
Meh, I don't want to cripple my WiFi configuration just for Toon. I'll open it up and see if the antennas are still connected. It shows a strong signal though so I'll doubt this is the problem.
I just started to notice it because if the D03 error that kept popping up. I disabled that in previous firmwares but after reading that this was fixed in newer firmware I didn't disable this. So maybe the issue was always there.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

No the internet issue isn't resolved. Only the message bar will not popup more than once after a reboot.

If you don't change the smStats to _ST_TUNNEL the wifi icon will complain about bad connection. This fix should always be reapplied after an upgrade.

You could use this code to fix it:

settingsfile="/HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml"
sed -i '/smStatus = parseInt(statemachine)/a\  if ( smStatus == _ST_INTERNET ) { smStatus = _ST_TUNNEL; }' $settingsfile
FunFair
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FunFair »

TheHogNL wrote:No the internet issue isn't resolved. Only the message bar will not popup more than once after a reboot.

If you don't change the smStats to _ST_TUNNEL the wifi icon will complain about bad connection. This fix should always be reapplied after an upgrade.

You could use this code to fix it:

settingsfile="/HCBv2/qml/apps/internetSettings/InternetSettingsApp.qml"
sed -i '/smStatus = parseInt(statemachine)/a\  if ( smStatus == _ST_INTERNET ) { smStatus = _ST_TUNNEL; }' $settingsfile
I know how to manually change it. How does your code work? Just type it in the prompt?

And the message bar doesn't only popup when rebooted, but also when the connection is restored. That's why I noticed it :)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Yes code works by just copying it into the prompt. It's part of the update-rooted.sh version 2.0 which I'm building so in the new version it will do it for you after an upgrade.

Return to “Toon Firmware”