usb-serial

If you don't know where to post, post here.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

vso

usb-serial

Post by vso »

@marcelr How do i get data to a usb device ?

on the toon.

/sys/bus/usb-serial
/sys/bus/usb-serial/uevent
/sys/bus/usb-serial/devices
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers_probe
/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers_autoprobe

This would allow a tx/rx (serial port) command via usb to be send. softwareserial.h would allow that command to be interperted

but

# /sbin/getty
getty: applet not found

Googling on this suggests a firmware compile issue of sorts .. (a lot of commands like passwd have the same issue) it might be busybox or just the environment compiling ..

can you tell me if this is within your realm of possiblitie(s) (the applet error) .. you guys do a lot already ..
I don't know where the manufactures work stops and your additions start ..

btw I know there are other avenues to explore .. just wanted to try this one
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: usb-serial

Post by TheHogNL »

Getty is for the onboard serial and only works with the modified busybox. But I do not recommend to install the modified busybox anymore. Doing wrong will set you off miles backwards.

The usb isn't usable. The /sys/bus/usb-serial is just there because they seem to forget to remove that kernel option. But the kernel drivers are not compiled. And nobody really cares about compiling new kernels for the old toon anymore.

A ESP8266 can do more than the toon for you situation :)
Member of the Toon Software Collective
vso

Post by vso »

TheHogNL wrote:Getty is for the onboard serial and only works with the modified busybox. But I do not recommend to install the modified busybox anymore. Doing wrong will set you off miles backwards.

The usb isn't usable. The /sys/bus/usb-serial is just there because they seem to forget to remove that kernel option. But the kernel drivers are not compiled. And nobody really cares about compiling new kernels for the old toon anymore.

A ESP8266 can do more than the toon for you situation :)
thx.. so wyswyg situation :)
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

When the newer version of busybox was introduced, I made a set of packages for Toon1 including getty and a host of other features that were disabled. They're still in the files section of this forum. But as TheHogNL said: You can screw up your toon if you get the installation wrong. Not for the faint-hearted.
vso

Post by vso »

marcelr wrote:When the newer version of busybox was introduced, I made a set of packages for Toon1 including getty and a host of other features that were disabled. They're still in the files section of this forum. But as TheHogNL said: You can screw up your toon if you get the installation wrong. Not for the faint-hearted.
It does not seem practical to develop something that only works for me and nobody can use it for their own projects .. using the port for power source is than the only usefull thing. (in line with TheHogNL's reply his reference to a ESP)

rooting is one / reloading with own firmware ? just to get access to usb .. then it would be easier to another method of communication also.
and you need to write an arduino (code) to allow access to the GPIO ..
then an other device via domtica hub server/thingy would be faster/easier .. as suggested.

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=12398 is not .. (nice project to learn stuff though) and I am not fearfull

Return to “Toon miscellaneous”