Forum about forum-provided applications on Toon

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

How do I submit an app I created for Daikin airco's

Post by JackV »

Hello,
I am new to all this but was able to create a nice app to control my Daikin airco. See screenshots below.
Now I would like to submit it but do not know how...
I have a zipfile ready with everything in it as described on viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11235#p83091
Many thanks for the info on how to submit an app.
( I use geany and thunar on ubuntu to create files and move them to my Toon. Is there, there must be :roll: , anything smarter ? )
Settings screen :
Settings
Settings
daikin_screenshot_1.png (92.35 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
The tile looks like :
Tile
Tile
daikin_screenshot_2.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
Controls screen :
The controls on my daikin app
The controls on my daikin app
daikin_screenshot_3.png (89.95 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How do I submit an app I created for Daikin airco's

Post by TheHogNL »

Nice work!
Do you have it on a github repo? Then we can make a fork and put it in our TSC main repo and toonstore.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

Thanks for the compliment, and as I wrote above I am very new to this.
So new that I do not have a git hub environment.
Only have a zip file with the name daikin-6.0.0.zip with everything in it.
And some poor development tools.
And editor, a file browser and tigervnc on my laptop upstairs while my Toon is downstairs.
So do I need to make a start with git hub now ?
If yes, no sweat, I will just have to look into that, won't I :) ?
Another question with an intro......
By the way, a friend of my who gave me a rooted Toon and has a different kind of Daikin is very happy with the app I made.
He actually has 2 Daikin airco's so we made a copy of my app and renamed everything to daikin2, created some new pictures for the 2nd daikin and now he can control both airco's.
The pictures are on the ..../www/daikin and ..../www/daikin2 folders.
Is it possible in a future implementation by you to keep these picture locations in the app so people can put there own pictures in place ? Do I need to do something for that ?
The Daikin protocol is generic for all Daikin airco's and people might want to put a picture of their own in the app.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

JackV wrote:Thanks for the compliment, and as I wrote above I am very new to this.
So new that I do not have a git hub environment.
Only have a zip file with the name daikin-6.0.0.zip with everything in it.
And some poor development tools.
And editor, a file browser and tigervnc on my laptop upstairs while my Toon is downstairs.
So do I need to make a start with git hub now ?
If yes, no sweat, I will just have to look into that, won't I :) ?
Another question with an intro......
By the way, a friend of my who gave me a rooted Toon and has a different kind of Daikin is very happy with the app I made.
He actually has 2 Daikin airco's so we made a copy of my app and renamed everything to daikin2, created some new pictures for the 2nd daikin and now he can control both airco's.
The pictures are on the ..../www/daikin and ..../www/daikin2 folders.
Is it possible in a future implementation by you to keep these picture locations in the app so people can put there own pictures in place ? Do I need to do something for that ?
The Daikin protocol is generic for all Daikin airco's and people might want to put a picture of their own in the app.
It is all up to you if you want to setup your own github repo first. We can also just add it to the TSC repo if you provide the zip. And then you can maintain your code from there.

About controlling two daikins, maybe you will just need to add option to add more daikins in one app.

About image location, I think we can just add them in the app folder again. I'll ask other developers for this.
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

I just shared my daikin folder on my personal nextcloud which uses a self signed certificate so when you browse there you may need to accept some riscs etc. :wink:

https://veraart.thehomeserver.net/nextc ... 5LPf8BWX4N

All my older verions are there too.
Please look for daikin-6.0.0.zip,
Click on the zipfile to download or check the box on the left, click on the 3 dots next to the size of the file and select Download.
There is a readme in the zip file explaining how to get things working.
If you have any comments on this concerning coding, what is where in the zip file, what is missing or whatever, I am very happy to receive them.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

App is now in our repo: https://github.com/ToonSoftwareCollective/daikin

But before we put it in toonstore some remarks:

you can place all images in drawables and point to it with: source: "file:///qmf/qml/apps/daikin/drawables/daikin.png" (only the tile icon won't work)
as you have two types of images, a select box for white or grey should be used and depending on that select box use the correct png

Also, the app isn't nice on a toon2 (other screen dimensions). If you finish the product I can hopefully extend to to a toon 2 compatible one.

Last thing, can you remove the system tray icon (and file) and replace that with a 'settings' button in the screen page? There is no need to put a system tray icon for only settings.
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

Thanks for your feedback and ideas.
I see I really do need to learn how to work with github now...may take a while....in the meantime....
In a next version I will remove the systray icon and put a little settings button on the control screen.
I will try to get the picture files in the folder you suggest.
Until now I had no knowledge on how to get them on the screen other than by putting them on the www folder.
I have no Toon 2 so I cannot test. :(
Can you give me advice on what to do for formatting of text, margins, sizes etc ?
I have seen things like 'topMargin: isNxt ? 19 : 15' and 'pixelSize: isNxt ? 25 : 20' but I am not sure how to use these and what to do for other "things" so it looks nice on both Toon 1 and Toon 2.
A next version could support more airco's and the main tile could change between airco's in a configurable interval.
Something else I am thinking about are power usage numbers which I could put on a screen behind another button on the control screen.
Not sure what you mean by the tile icon because on the tile I have no icon. The tile has current temperature, target temperature, outdoor temperature and an indication of the mode ( v cool, ^ heat, = dry,....) and a name of the airco.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

To make it toon2 compatible you need indeed the isNxt boolean value. So if isNxt is true, then the first value is used as width and otherwise the other one (isNxt = toon2). But to know the values you really need a toon2. I will be happy to change everything for toon2's, no problem. Just focus on your toon1 for now :)

With tile icon I mean when you select an app from the tile menu that icon must be in a seperate location but that is one for is to do.

Btw, if you had a toon2 you could directly use github from your toon:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=12565
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

Okay, I understand about the icon now.
Now it is just a white square. Maybe we can find/create a nice little blue-white logo for that.

I am getting started with github and will create a repository Toon-Daikin with a daikin folder in it.
Just got my ssh stuff for github in place so I can access github from the command line. Pffff....
Now I have to get familiar with the command line and after that I will start making modifications to the app.
When I have my 'next shiny very first public prerelease version' ready I will invite you there so you can make the modifications for Toon 2

Not today, give us some time 8)

Btw, I will pass your comment on the need for a Toon 2 to my wife :P it is almost fathers day isn't it
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

Many thanks to TheHogNL who supported the process with advice and a Toon 2 so I could make necessary changes to make the app behave on a Toon 2 like it already did on a Toon 1.
TheHogNL also put the app in the ToonStore and a friend of me downloaded successfully and pointed me at some textual improvements.
After the app went to the ToonStore I made some additional changes and put the last version on github.
My Toon apps can be found on https://github.com/JackV2020 where I also publish my Domoticz plugins.

Summary of changes :
- Control screen : replace 'Monitor All' by 'Exit' in case of 1 airco ( Thanks Arie )
- Control Screen : input validation for temperature limits
- Control Screen : a background image per airco (defaults available in '/qmf/qml/apps/daikin/drawables/')
- Settings Screen: input validation for IP Address, TCP Port, Number of airco's and Refresh Interval
- Settings Screen: all buttons same type
The next 3 to avoid 'Toon freeze' due to hanging communication when an airco does not respond
- Technical inside app : simplified Daikin communication
- Technical inside app : stop communication with an airco after 10 consecutive errors and retry after 10 minutes
- Technical inside app : earlier error reset by simply selecting airco on the Control Screen

It may be picked up from github and put in the ToonStore by ToonStore management.

Many thanks to everybody for all the comments and especially to TheHogNL so I could improve the app.
jblokzijl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jblokzijl »

Hi
Newer Daikin airco's don't have a local API running, so can only b accessed true the cloud. For Home Assistant this extension https://github.com/rospogrigio/daikin_residential has been made to access the Daikin, it would be great to have this also running on Toon, otherwise newer Daikin airco's cannot be controlled....
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Daikin will change API:
sorry, in Dutch:

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/218654/daik ... -stop.html

Does it inpact this App on Toon?
Toon2 with 6.0.2 firmware TSC 2.1.7
Apps: Sonos, Calender, garbagecalender, webcam, doorcam, Onkyo, Domoticzboard, Solar and weather app.
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

Hi Xavier,

no problem, I happen to be Dutch and am subscribed to the same mail and read it.
They also mention the Faikin which you could order at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C2ZYXNYQ
I read about that before but have not ordered it yet because my original module still works. That is a BRP069B42 I guess.
Maybe I should get a Faikin, try it and keep it with my spare parts because I want to stay in control of what is happening in and around my house.
I just googled on BRP069B42 and these are still available so maybe get one of these. More expensive, less hassle though, hmmmm.

And about the api....
I do not like things in my house that need an internet connection to some supplier who 'offers' great apps with logon credentials to control my private stuff.
Not for my airco. It should simply work and I want local access.
Not for the inverter of my solar panels. Same, it should simply work and I want local access.
I have no camera system yet but I do not need an app 'supported' by a central organization where I need to logon my cameras to so they service my feeds.

No need to say this but when anyone wants to fork the app to make an api version, know you are welcome to do so.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

thanks @JackV.
I also use the "BRP069B42" and this still works, I use the Daikin App on Toon2 and I use the Android "Daikin Controller" app on my phone which also still works.

Can I conclude based on your text that there is no impact for users with these "BRP069B42" modules?
Toon2 with 6.0.2 firmware TSC 2.1.7
Apps: Sonos, Calender, garbagecalender, webcam, doorcam, Onkyo, Domoticzboard, Solar and weather app.
JackV
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JackV »

The daikin app in toon does not use the web api.
All communication is between the app and the wifi module in the airco so yes I guess that all the api activities have no impact.

I know this is the Toon forum but since we are talking about the daikin app I want to mention the next for Domoticz fans.
I just checked my github (JackV2020) and see that the version which i created years ago for Domoticz is not there ( yet :) ).
That version has an optional climate control and can use temperature and moisture from a different plugin with for example a bme280 which is located at the other end of the room where you want to have the temperature and/or moisture as you select it in the plugin.
One can turn the climate control on or off OR put it in the phone mode where it does not work when at least 1 of the specified phones is on the same WiFi.
When all phones are away the climate control kicks in automatically. ( only when climate control is in phones mode )
When you have no other plugin for the temperature and moisture you can still use the climate control but it will only use the temperature as measured by the daikin itself.

I will create a readme, clean up the code BRP069B42a bit and put it in my github so you can control your daikin with BRP069B42 from your web browser on your phone after you install the plugin in a Domoticz.

Return to “Toon Apps”