How to test email setting for Alerts?

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Bororo

How to test email setting for Alerts?

Post by Bororo »

Hello,
I am using the standard OTGW version with firmware 5.4 (PIC16F88) and web otmonitor v6.1.
Since Google's support for less secure applications has ended, I have set new parameters for the SMTP server (that I use by default for mail communication and for notifications form other systems).
After this change I stopped the otmonitor process and adjusted the pressurelow parameter to 1.6 (the current value is 1.51), saved the changes and restarted the machine with otmonitor.
However, I did not receive any alert mail. My SMTP server supports SSL/TLS communication on port 465 or STARTTLS on port 587.
When I had Gmail SMTP set up, the 587/TLS combination worked.
I have tried all combinations of Port/TLS/SSL settings but it seems that my outgoing mail settings are not working or alert,pressurelow: 1.6 did not occur. I would need to at least be sure that otmonitor can send mail in case of an alert.
How can I send test mail in the OTMonitor web interface?
Thank you.
Ivan.
hvxl

Re: How to test email setting for Alerts?

Post by hvxl »

Testing your email settings is not currently supported via the web interface. You will have to use the GUI for that. That shouldn't be a big inconvenience, because it only has to be done once. Unless Google changes things again. But that's the price you pay for using gmail.

Anyway, to send alerts using a gmail account that uses 2-step authentication, first generate an app password for otmonitor:
  1. Go to your Google Account: https://myaccount.google.com/
  2. Log in, if necessary
  3. Select Security -> Signing in to Google -> App passwords
  4. Confirm your identity by entering your password once more
  5. Select app: Other (Custom name) and enter a name, e.g.: otmonitor
  6. Click: Generate
Now copy the generated password into the email alert settings of otmonitor:

Sender: otmonitor <otmonitor@gmail.com>
Server: smtp.gmail.com Port:465
User: otmonitor@gmail.com
Password: fonmjvcdbnqsbbkn
Method: SSL

Replace otmonitor@gmail.com with your email account, and fonmjvcdbnqsbbkn with the generated password.

Using TLS and port 587 also works.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”