Use OTGW with a virtual (software) thermostat via MQTT?

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

rvorsten
Starting Member
Starting Member

Use OTGW with a virtual (software) thermostat via MQTT?

Post by rvorsten »

Hi -

Would it be possible to send "actual temp", "requested temp" sand possibly "outside temp" settings to my (SchelteBron) OTGW via MQTT, thus replacing a physical thermostat?

MQTT is connected properly. otmonitor works fine. OTGW running gateway v6.5. I do have an on/off thermostat connected to the OTGW but that results in massive overshoot of my room temperature. And as I have a room temperature sensor hooked up to my home automation, and a fixed desired temperature when someone is present in the home I would like to push all these values to the OTGW through software instead.

So my question is: is there a possibility to ignore (if necessary disconnect) the on/off thermostat and send message to OTGW using MQTT, telling it what my temperatures are?

Many thanks,
Ronald
hvxl

Re: Use OTGW with a virtual (software) thermostat via MQTT?

Post by hvxl »

Sending "actual temp", "requested temp" (and "outside temp") does not suffice to replace a physical thermostat, because those parameters are not what a boiler is controlled by. You could instruct the OTGW to stop sending those parameters to the boiler and heating would still work perfectly fine.

The input normally used by the boiler is the control setpoint, i.e. the desired water temperature. If you calculate that and send it to the OTGW, then you can disconnect the physical thermostat. This is what is referred to as the stand-alone mode of the OTGW.

See this explanation for more details.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”