Velleman Velbus

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
rockhoppers1964
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by rockhoppers1964 »

Hi guys

I used to dabble with X10 but found it was too clumsy for what i wanted, and a lot of other systems cost too much, i came across the Velbus system a few months ago and started to play with it.... looks good... any one else playing with it, really looking for someone to talk with on this subject ?

I had been working on my own software back in the days of X10 and final revived it for the Velbus stuff, people who visit the house have become interested in it for their own projects, so i though i may put it up here and see what reaction i get... good or bad all is welcome.

No. I am not advertising, just looking for comment.....even if I do decide to offer it about, it is a long way off yet, just looking for ideas, suggestions, comments, direction.....you can have a look at the link below if you are interested in helping me test it.

Andrew

http://www.rockhoppers.co.uk
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by drmacchi »

Hi Andrew, i don't want to discuss which is better (x10, velbus, other bus...) but, as simple user , not IT people, i can say that x10 is very simple to use and to set because of its wireless/electrical line features, this means any new cables , often impossible to set in old houses. Best regards and wishes for your project ! Lorenzo
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by Jeffke »

Hi Andrew

I just ordered my first set of Velbus components (4 ch relay, dimmer and PC(USB) controller). I'm using X10/A10 stuff for several years now and I also wrote my own .net application for that.

Currently I'm testing Zwave as well but I think I will go for a Bus solution (like Velbus) because I think it's more reliable (At least where I live). For some reason I can't get the X10 equipment working 99.99% of the time, and even the trials I'm doing with Zwave are not giving me enough satisfaction.

hopefully I will get the velbus components within a couple of days, and I will start coding [8D] (Note I'm not a programmer it's just a hobby)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Velleman Velbus

Post by Bwired »

completely open protocol and sample programs
The Velleman Velbus http://www.velbus.eu

@Andrew: do you need to poll the bus with your own software?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
rockhoppers1964
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Jeffke, i could not get the X10 stuff to work 100% of the time and that annoyed me.

I think there are too many free wireless airwaves zooming around right now that cause interference.

Plus, with motion sensors on alarms now, thief's have worked out how the jam the wireless one ! !

Good luck with your program !

Andrew
rockhoppers1964
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
@Andrew: do you need to poll the bus with your own software?

http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yes Pieter, my software pools the bus, it is totally independent of any Velbus software. apart from the USB driver.

Andrew
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Velleman Velbus

Post by Bwired »

Hi Andrew,
So you need to check the status off every device on the bus. For example you have a button connected to the inputdevice so you need to pool that device every x.x seconds. I hoped the devices would send the status change by itself on the bus and a simple event would raise in your software.

Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by Jeffke »

Still waiting for my devices so I can't test yet, However I was under the impression that each device propagates a state change ( I hope they do because I don't want to poll every x seconds)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Velleman Velbus

Post by Bwired »

Keep us posted on that please, hope they do!

rockhoppers1964
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Sorry Pieter, i miss understood your question about polling the sensors.

The devices do send a state change to the bus and this is picked up by the serial port.
The program i have written acts upon that information.
The program also records the current state of the device in case of a power failure, so the last known state conditions can be re established.
I am sure you can also poll the device to check the status, but i have not need to do this yet, but will have a go soon.

Andrew
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Velleman Velbus

Post by Bwired »

OK then I think I will try to get some Velleman testing stuff!
I personally hate devices for example PLCbus and the Xanura CTX35 controller which you need to poll every x milliseconds to see if there is something in the receivingbuffer. This does not say anything about the devices but just the way of interfacing I don't like!
ps: I already use over more then 30 years the Velleman kits and the quality is very high!
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by Jeffke »

Just checked, My order was shipped yesterday so I guess it will arive today :-)

@Pieter I ordered it via www.dil.nl seems to be the cheapest. Also would it be wise to start a seperate thread as more people are trying the velbus stuff?
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Velleman Velbus

Post by Rene »

Is it correct only din rail modules are available? This means you should install everything in your central 'meterkast'and switch entire power groups, does not it?

Rene.
rockhoppers1964
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Yes, only Din Rail mounts are available.

I have a separate control box between my consumer unit, (main fused panel) and the system, the Velbus rack is installed here. i then switch either complete groups, (like power sockets) or individual units like outside lights, it all depends how you wire it up and take the time to plan it.

I have found it very flexible and have not found any restrictions to what i want to do yet.

Andrew
Jeffke
Starting Member
Starting Member

Velleman Velbus

Post by Jeffke »

Hi Rene . It is a bus so you need a cable between each module (4 wires, 2 for 12V and 2 for the Data) The bus can be setup as ring (open or closed) or as star.

I do admit this could be problematic in existing houses however I can replace about 90% of my a10 modules with velbus (which is about 20) within one day. Some of the modules will be placed in the meter cupboard and others will be put in different places (installed in seperate boxes). The other 3 A10 modules can't be replaced easily because I can't get the control bus in place without drilling holes in the groundfloor. I'm still not sure what to do with those.

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”