Broken modules X10 modules?

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
Tozz

Post by Tozz »

I have a problem with Marmitek X10 that I dont get. When I moved in my current house I redid all the
electricity, so I know where all the cables are and how its all connected. From my livingroom there is a pipe
going up to the master bedroom.

My living room has X10 modules and my bedroom has X10 modules. This is all 1 and the same fuse (groep). My
HomeSeer server is on the addict and has its own fuse (groep) together with the central heating (CV ketel).
From HomeSeer I can control my living room lights without any problems. WOrks fine.

My bedroom has 2 X10 modules on the same housecode (C1). When I turn the lights on/off using the module
I can see the received X10 command in HomeSeer. So there is a connection from my bedroom to the HomeSeer server.
However, when I control the C1 housecode from HomeSeer nothing happends in my bedroom. The lights do simply
not respond. I also have a V572RF32AE in my addict (as a TM13 replacement). This works again fine for my
living room but does not work for the bedroom lights.

So it seems that:
bedroom -> homeseer works fine
homeseer > bedroom does not function

I tried unplugging _all_ appliances on this fuse (groep) that I could easily disconnect. So TV's, PC's, lights,
chargers, etc were all removed. So the only thing connected to this circuit are fixed lights. Still no luck.

I do not understand why, so I got an 20 meters extension cord and plugged it the socket in my livingroom
that also houses the connection to the bedroom. This solved my problem. I can control the light using
HomeSeer. The other module in my living room is in-wall so I cannot connect that to the extension cord.

This got me puzzled because:
- The extension cord is longer then the fixed wiring. So I doubt its a connection or a wire length problem
- Other X10 modules on the 2nd floor do not work either, even those on a different fuse (groep)
- Its weird that HomeSeer sees the commands from the modules so there is communication. But the other way
around does not work.

Does anyone has any idea what might cause this? I am getting desperate ;)
Tozz

Post by Tozz »

Tried using a known-to-be-working module.. module works downstairs but not upstairs. Seems to be a cable issue then? I still find it a bit strange. My house is not very large or something..
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Hi,
Do you use any filters for a clean and strong signal on the powerline.
Just unplug all electrical (specially NEW or ALTERED) equipment first, the try again and you see it will work again.
Check this forum there are a lot off topics about it!
Last week I placed a small camera to another on a other outlet and two lights 1 level below where not working anymore.
It's a very delicate network!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
Pieterpaul

Post by Pieterpaul »

Tozz, are the two fuse-groups on the same phase?
Tozz

Post by Tozz »

Yes, my entire house is on 1 phase only. I think I found the cause. I played with some filters and it seems some of the Domotica equipment in my addict is causing problems. If I disconnect those and only connect the V572RF32AE the problem is resolved. Ordered filters from Elekhomica :)

Thnx!
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

told you so [;)]
One of the most common problems, the first thing I do when its not working is thinking about what device did I buy or plugged in.
It's a great downside to the X10, but if you keep it in mind and use some good filters all works good!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Pieter Knuvers
http://www.bwired.nl <i>Online House in the netherlands. Domotica, Home Automation.</i></font id="size1">
Tozz

Post by Tozz »

You were right, but its still weird that using an extension cord instead of the 'in house wiring' solved it too. The extension cord is longer then the fixed wiring and was plugged in in the same socket that also houses the connection that runs to the room with the problem modules.

But I must agree that since using some filters behind my domotica stuff and plasma's everything seems to work much better.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”