Noise

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
anagram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Noise

Post by anagram »

I have several DAIX devices and they produce a noise. Especially when the devices are not fully dimmed. Also there is a noise at the powersuplly of my computer when the DAIX is used.

Any suggestions?

Bob
hopx69
Starting Member
Starting Member

Noise

Post by hopx69 »

Hi Bob,

What kind of transformer are you using?
The Xanura dimmers are one of the less noise producing dimmers I know.
You kan use conventional transformers(coil) or electronic transformers.
But here is probably your problem located. You can only use tronic transformers. If you use a transformer of the trailling edge type you will get noise and it is bad for your dimmer.

Let me know if this information helps..
anagram
Starting Member
Starting Member

Noise

Post by anagram »

Probably this is the problem, I have to test this, but it sounds obvious. Thnx.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Noise

Post by MindBender »

And when you test this, be sure to put a realisting load on the transformer. Without load they make <b>a lot</b> more noise. Ring transformers make the least noise, but are the most expense.

Electronic transformers aren't actually transformers at all. The name is symantically correct because they do transform one voltage into another and most designs do actually contain a tranformer, driven at a high frequency. We (engineers) like to call them by the name we've been using for years: Switch mode power supplies. Be careful experimenting with these: They don't always output a nice DC voltage. Cheaper unit output AC @ 40kHz.

@Hopx69:
Please explain: Why is are regular transformers bad for falling edge phase slicing (cut-off) dimmers? Rising edge phase slicing (cut-on) dimmers are no longer allowed on the European market...

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”