Camera cabling

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Digit »

Hi,

As some of you will know by now, i'm working on installing 2 webcams in my house. 2 * Sony EVI-D30L. I've been thinking about the cables (for VISCA, power supply and video signal). Now i came across these things:

http://www.eijlander.nl/article.php?group=305&id=314346

By using these i can combine 2 things in 1 cable. But what will this do to the signal quality? Has anyone ever used things like these? Do you or don't you recommend them? If not, are there better alternatives? Cables will be around 25 m. (quick guess).
Any other comments about cabling are welcome too!

Regards,
Robert.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Snelvuur »

If its wireless, i would not take it. The sony's are too good at what they do to let the image be bad with these things (imho) there are also those visca -> utp i think or for the video signal. You can extend them to 1200 feet then without a problem (so i've read) unless you want to place them somwhere where you cant reach.

Are you planning to put them outdoor?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Digit »

No, it's not wireless.
And indeed, my main concern is not to mess up the signal by using bad cables. The cameras have a S-Video, Visca and power supply plug.

Both cameras will be placed indoor.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Snelvuur »

May i ask for what use? My biggest problem with the sony's are that you cant use them outdoors. If you check bwired, you can see he has one behind the glass :-) And every other place in the house i would not like outside visitors to check. (except for myself then) but whats the use of having a PTZ camera in for instance the livingroom?
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Willem4ever »

In theory this should work, i have however no practical experience with them. You can find these baluns on eBay as well. Why don't you try and opt for sending back when not satisfactory? Please note that the baluns on the link you included is for composite video, and not for S-Video. for S-Video you need 2 signal wires (one for color (chrominance), and the other for brightness (luminance)), and ground.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Camera cabling

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">snelvuur Posted - Today : 11:10:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May i ask for what use? My biggest problem with the sony's are that you cant use them outdoors. If you check bwired, you can see he has one behind the glass :-) And every other place in the house i would not like outside visitors to check. (except for myself then) but whats the use of having a PTZ camera in for instance the livingroom? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Well I would like to see you ptz camera in the livingroom [:D]
The best way is to have your camera outside but a good camera housing is very expensive, needs heating etc. So it's not that easy to do. I would love to have a 360 pan tilt and zoom camera on my chimney.
Btw my Door camera is an doom camera which hangs outside.
Regards Pieter
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Camera cabling

Post by Bwired »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">willem4ever Posted - Today : 12:38:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In theory this should work, i have however no practical experience with them. You can find these baluns on eBay as well. Why don't you try and opt for sending back when not satisfactory? Please note that the baluns on the link you included is for composite video, and not for S-Video. for S-Video you need 2 signal wires (one for color (chrominance), and the other for brightness (luminance)), and ground.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Yes right!, see this topic if you want to make this.
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=354
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Willem4ever »

Here is box that does s-video over utp.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Snelvuur »

You can go wild, and get a slingbox.. streams any feed on to utp. Bought mine via a friend in london, you cant buy it in the netherlands. Which is a pitty since i use it as my remote t.v. wherever i am, i can watch t.v. if there is a pc somewhere. (and also a friend of mine works in the u.s.a so he can watch dutch television there) http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Digit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />May i ask for what use?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">One camera will be used inside, but password protected ofcourse.
The other one will likely be placed behind glass, looking outside.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Digit »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willem4ever</i>
<br />
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I know, i didnt't mention another component i will need, that will convert the S-Video to composite, just like Pieter.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Camera cabling

Post by Bwired »

You can get a small converter plug from Svideo to composite (tulp) in any good shop in town. No problemas! I have converted My cams which also only have SVideo this way. A full Sony EVI-D30C has already an extra composite video out.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Digit »

For all who didn't know what a balun was untill recently, here's a (dutch) page that gives some more info:

http://www.eyeonfly.nl/balun.htm

Robert.
Willem4ever
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Camera cabling

Post by Willem4ever »

Here is an English link ...

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”