Best Camera to catch a Burglar?

Forum All about Webcams, IP Camera's & Camera's (hardware, software, pan tilt zoom etc).

Moderator: Esteban

Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

If it works, it works.. thats basicly it. If you can reach it from within your home then it should be enough. One thing i would check for sure if its infrared/working in the dark. Most camera's cant see anything in the dark. If the burglar just uses a flash light or just walks in the dark then you still dont see who it is.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

I'll try to find real "captures" to see what kind of quality is has.
Most cmos cameras perform well in the near infra red spectrum, in any case the garage has motion sensors to turn on the lights, and I can even add extra lighting if needed.

I just wanted to know if there's any "suitable" camera around this same price range that you could suggest.

Then I'll have to figure out:
1) check the Wifi signal and see if I can get it working, or maybe with just one extra WiFi extender/repeater
2) if I use a Ethernet to PL adapter to use the electric cables to stream the video to my apartment
3) run a ethernet cable down to the garage
Droezel

Post by Droezel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by niknik</i>
<br />WHat do you guys think about this linksys wireless camera?
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... 5686883B01

It's about $120 - is there anything you suggest for around the same price range?

It seems to do a lot of stuff in hardware, and acessible via browser (inluding live streaming in asf, quicktime and real video formats, as well as motion detection, etc. etc)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'd not buy that one, i have one of those and it's very, very, very bad in weak light.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I have that as well for testing purpose, it's lying in the corner of my room now!
The wireless is OK but the image quality is not that good and need the perfect light. Not to bright and to weak light.
I'm not fond of the CMOS camera's, they can be good but then you have to dig deep in your wallet.
Niknik

Post by Niknik »

The one I was considering would be the new one with 640x480 resolution (I believe the older model has only 320x240).
CMOS sensors have improved a lot, and can now provide adequate performance in high contrast scenes, but it depends on what sensor they use.

For instance, I'm now doing image processing for a system using a Micron CMOS sensor that handles quite well both dim and very bright scenes in the same frame
(there's an example image in their flyer PDF: http://download.micron.com/pdf/flyers/mt9v032.pdf
one side of the frame is under 30000 lux, the other just a couple, and it handles both very well

My suppliers say they only have the new Linksys camera next month or so, and I'll wait to see if someone post examples, and they I'll try it out. I hope they use a better sensor on this model...

Or else, I'll consider using one of my "own" Micron Camera - but that would require quite a bit of re-enginnering - not to mention I'd prefer to have a "video-server" camera with some inteligence on it, rather than a "dummy" camera that requires a PC full time.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

OK
I have the Linksys with 320x240 resolution so the new one could be better. And yes CMOS is improving. My Mobitix Camera MD10 night has two CMOS lenses which are very sharp and can produce an image of 1280x960. But they are very expensive.

Return to “Webcams & Camera Stuff Forum”