Plugwise

Forum about Domotica, home automation and saving energy.
Henk

Plugwise

Post by Henk »

Have a look at this site http://www.plugwise.com/nl/ a new way of monitoring the energy consumption and switching on/off devices ....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise

Post by Snelvuur »

And a new heavy price ticket on top of it. Dont see any protocol details, and even for a lousy FAQ you have to sign a user account. Talk about not user friendly. Not to mention, i dont see any screenshot of the stuff in action.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Plugwise

Post by TANE »

Few months ago I heard about this product..
http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?T ... s=Plugwise,

I like there way monitoring
The price is not so bad when i compare it to zwave and other product.
The protocol they use is zigbee or not?

@Henk
do you have any extra information
I hope they will develop an Homeseer plugin.
Reinder

Plugwise

Post by Reinder »

www.plugwise.com
!!! the sollution!
The only thing I can see, it works perfectly! I have the Home Basic set running at home. I think within a year I earn it back, just to be smart with switching. It works with the Zigbee/MESH network and it worked out to be fine! Just plug in, join network and working.

From a happy user of www.plugwise.com
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Plugwise

Post by Bwired »

Is it necessary to keep your computer on (USB Zigbee transmitter) for switching the devices and controlling Plugwise?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plugwise

Post by Digit »

I would really really love to go back to 6000 KWh annual electricity usage.
I'm working on that, but with a completely different approach then plugwise is suggesting.

I just don't see how an annual reduction of 40% can be accomplished by monitoring/attaching devices like my fridge, washing machine and dryer to the plugwise system.
These are not the devices where you can decrease your KWh usage. And if someone thinks i'm wrong, then just show me how to do that. I'm all ears.
I think spending a bit more money on buying a more efficient type of the devices mentioned above, is more efficient.

Anyway, i'm willing to act as a volunteer to test the plugwise system to prove i am wrong.[:)]

Robert.
Superplug
Starting Member
Starting Member

Plugwise

Post by Superplug »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Is it necessary to keep your computer on (USB Zigbee transmitter) for switching the devices and controlling Plugwise?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Well yes and no.

Yes; to make direct switches you need a controlling device for now this is your PC but a portable devices is being developed.

No; because the plugs are able to switch on and of based on pre defined time or power use schemes that are send from the software (via the stick) to the plugs.
Reinder

Plugwise

Post by Reinder »

This year al lot of new products will be released. Built in, Switch, PDA..... in the Plugwise ZigBee standard. These product will be important for domotica

I am really convinced that knowledge of where your power consumption flows to, helps to reduce power consumption. On the other hand, common sense will get you started but will bring you not as far.
In my case I saved a lot of power with: 2 pumps for my floor heating, standby killing (Home Cinema Set, transistors for my halogen lightening, Fax en Printer), and also warm water boiler in my kitchen. With the Plugwise system I switch them of at night or when Im not at home. I think together the Plugwise system saves me about 250,- per year, maybe more

@ Robert
I have a better idea. You buy a Plugwise Home Basic set. When you start using it, en you are still not convinced Plugwise helps you to reduce power consumption, you send it back and you will get your money back! It's not normal for us to do that, but in this case I will give you my word on it!
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Plugwise

Post by Bwired »

Turn it around, let Digit test it and see what it does. Perhaps he will be enthousiast and buy it :-)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Plugwise

Post by Digit »

Pieter was a bit quicker with his reply, but actually he's saying the same i intended to.

Let me point out some thoughts i have about the Plugwise system. Some of them you've probably already read somewhere else on this forum.

1. It's to optimistic.

I know, people that are active on this forum, are quite different from the average consumer (whoever that is). Domotica is what brings them here. But why do they all start with monitoring gas, electricity and water? Just think about it. Why do they want to switch off lights in rooms that are not occupied? Just to show off what they can accomplish with their hobby? I don't think so, there's a deeper meaning to that. So most of the members are very critical, even sceptic about new products that promise a 40% reduction. So Plugwise is challenged to prove they're right. Why not show test-results (on your website) that have been collected in the past that support this promise. That shouldn't be to hard to do.

2. It's to closed. Look for integration.

Unless Plugwise is capable of delivering a complete Home Automation system that's better than what's already on the market, or Plugwise is able to get 'connected' to the popular HA products like Homeseer, Plugwise will never reach the potential it can have. It will become/stay a niche product. You won't make it with pre-programmed schedules for devices switching on and off. For really good management, you'll need a system that adapts to what's going on inside the house; maybe then you can accomplish that 40%.

3. Always tell the same story, as if you believe in it.

When i look at the Plugwise FAQ, i see customers being advised to start with the fridge, washing machine and dryer. Do you really think that's what's going to make the difference? IMO it's the "standby disease" that's causing the large bills. Nobody's going to use the washing machine less. You need to wash your clothes every now and then, so you do it. The only positive can be that people realize what a washing machine costs, and give power consumption a higher priority when those devices are being replaced. So they buy a "A"-label washing machine instead of "C".

4. Actually, i don't think Plugwise will succeed in it's goal here, in our house. No matter how much plugs i would install, our electricity usage can only be decreased more if i start using my brains more often. Reading what a few plugs tell me what to do will not help. I already know.

All this may sound very negative; it's not meant that way. I do think there's a market for this kind of products. And make people more aware of their consumption. But if your goal is to really make a difference regarding to that, you have to become 'big' and i just don't see any reason why that should happen with the way Plugwise presents itself right now.

That's why i made the offer to act as a tester: i would first send my common sense on a holiday for 1 or 2 months, then install some plugs, and see if our electricity usage would reduce to 'normal' again. I even would have taken the costs for living those month without common sense for granted...

The offer still stands though.
Robert.
Henk

Plugwise

Post by Henk »

Have a look (for Dutch only) at www.milieucentraal.nl for some interesting analysis and data on energy saving .....

Statistical information on annual electricity energy usage for a 2.4 people household in Holland:

Light 543 kwh
Washing/drying 708 kwh
Refrig/freezer 590 kwh
Heating/warm water 500 kwh
Audio/Vid/Commun 494 kwh
Standby 400 kwh
Rest 167 kwh

Total 3402 Kwh .... at a cost of 22 eurocent/kwh - 2007 level

It may not reflect your personal usage at least it is an indication and you may adjust the values to your own personal situation by some guessing - like number of people, size of the house, special cactivities or devices like your 7x24hr PC farm - average 200 watt = 1600 kwh !! On some devices savings will be minimal as already stated in this topic - replacement by newer energy-saving devices and replacing the classic lightbulbs will have the most effect.

Good point is to collect statistics on usage in yr household like a trafo / a X10 module / device battery loaders ,etc. Also using home automation to save on energy it will first need energy - for example a home controller 5-10 watt and each actor/ PIR may be 1 Watt - so easily it will cost you 30 watts = 260kwh /year. So at least you have to save 30x24 = 720 Watt per day before you start ... so saving on what ? Based on the milieucentraal statistics on lights an average house will require 1488 Watt per day ..... so turning 50% of all yr lights will help only to compensate your home automation electricity bill.

Henk

Return to “Energycontrol & Home Automation Forum”