Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V RC

Introduce home automation related software here.....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Recently Microsoft delivered the Hyper-V release candidate (RC).

Hyper-V RC has three main enhancements from the beta release:

<ul><li>An expanded list of tested and qualified guest operating systems including: Windows Server 2003 SP2, Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, and Windows XP SP3.
</li>
<li>Host server and language support has been expanded to include the 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter - with English, partial German, and partial Japanese language options now available and the ability to enable the English version of Hyper-V on other locales.
</li>
<li>Improved performance & stability for scalability and throughput workloads.</li></ul>
Now a few screendumps:
Fedore Core 8:

What i particularly like very much, is the ability to keep 1 VM from taking all available CPU:

Power usage of the current hardware: 65-70W.
I will change the videocard to get some reduction on that, but also add some more drives and an extra NIC. So usage will get a bit higher by that.

Getting your physical machines virtual is not an easy job BTW, for as far as i can tell (the host is only 24 hours young). Nevertheless, i really like what i see so far.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Futures are rich
Hope this will trigger Vmware to put more in the Vmware server
is there any build in remote console via web?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I haven't seen anything for remote console via web yet. But i'm just a beginner with Hyper-V, so who knows...

What i did found out and what is a disadvantage: when you RDP to the host, the mouse doesn't work in the connection (that's the MS name for a VMWare console screen) with a VM. So you have to control your VM with your keyboard[:(] Maybe VNC-like things will help in that.
Jfn

Post by Jfn »

Looks very similar to what IBM is doing since the introduction of the POWER5 processor: Micropartitioning.

Does W2K8 also offer the option of 'borrowing' un-used CPU-cycles from a VM-machine that currently is not using its maximum amount of CPU cycles?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What i particularly like very much, is the ability to keep 1 VM from taking all available CPU:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Als het niet gerepareerd kan worden dan is het niet kapot!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

If you mean borrowing cycles from another CPU, no, AFAIK. A Virtual Machine is bound to a fixed number of processors.

Return to “Announcements & News”