ControlThink Z-Wave USB Adapter

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

You'll have 2 less populated (interconnected) networks...
Mversluis

Post by Mversluis »

Had any body order this stick and can you share the experiance ..?

Thanks
Marco
Vullisbak

Post by Vullisbak »

I have ordered the stick and ThinkEssentials Pro software. It got delivered within 3 days(!) using UPS Priority shipping (only $5 more expensive than standard shipping).
The stick is an EU version (make sure you order the correct item). The ThinkEssentials software comes with its own stick, which is a US version (no EU frequency support), so now I have both.

The software installs very easy and recognised the EU stick without any problem. Unfortunately the software only supports automatic scheduling of sunrise and sunset for the Americas and some Asian countries. EU is <u>not</u> supported.
Dropped a post at their online forum and got answered that, for now, software does not support Europe countris. But, since they're selling EU frequency sticks, they will put it on their list for things to add to the software. So future updates will support automatic sunrise/set time scheduling for EU countries.

The software allows you to draw an outline of your house and rooms in which you can position your connected z-wave devices. All devices can be managed by clicking on the corresponding icon on the map. I couldn't find support for multiple floors, other than drawing multiple floor-plans next or below each other.

There's where my testing ends, because the Z-wave light dimming module I ordered turned out to be malfunctioning. Since I'm just starting my home automation project, I have no other units to test with yet. Have sent back the broken module to the vendor <s>,but haven't heard from them yet</s>. Just received an email that they agree the module is dead on arrival and will send me a replacement.

More info once I'm able to continue testing.

Edit: Added scheduling limitations of software for EU.
Received a note from the vendor, new module is on its way.
Vullisbak

Post by Vullisbak »

<u>Update</u>
Finally had time to connect the HomePro ZDW232 replacement unit and test some more.
I immediately found one of the major advantages of an Aeon Labs z-wave interface compared to ControlThink stick: the include button on the device.

My stick is connected to a MiniITX pc running Windows Home Server, which is approximately 5m/15ft from the Z-wave unit. When including the unit to the network, the software shows 'unit found', but after a minute or so, it times out. At first I thought the unit was malfunctioning again, but found that some Z-wave units need to be in a 1m/3ft range from the interface in order to be included in the network.

I don't own a mobile interface and carrying around the server for each device I have to include is a bit of a hassle. A possible solution would be to use software like 'USB over Network'. When installed on my laptop I can temporarily connect the USB interface to the laptop and walk to the unit.
For now I solved this issue by connecting the interface to a 3m/10ft USB cable, which brought me in range for the unit to pair.

Apart from this the interface does what it is designed to do.

Another advantage of the stick, is that its firmware can be updated. Ensuring operability with future improvements and changes/optimizations in the Z-wave protocol.

ControlThink also provides a free SDK, so I'm currently busy developing my own home control software (which is fun as well). Within just 10 minutes I was able to control the light using my mobile phone.
ravensteijn
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by ravensteijn »

THere is also opensource http://www.xplmonkey.com/zwave.html (only US i think)
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Love to test this stick on Homeseer. Anybody tried it yet? If you need a Aeonlabs version, I got one here doing nothing. May be we can swap for a few days?

Bastiaan
EzHome

Post by EzHome »

@Zebrafilm: you will have the same problem, it uses the same drivers as your Aeon-Labs.
The Aeon-Labs has a much stronger z-wave radio transmitter and has the include/exclude button.

Just try the older driver this might be a sollution for your problem. An other real great stick is the Tinckelstar USB stick, it's about the same as the Aeon-Labs but has other drivers.
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Thanks for the tip, what is 'real great' on the Tinckelstar USB stick? :-)
What kind of drivers? Seems my only escape route for Zwave.
Does it work with Homeseer
mhn

Post by mhn »

I have tried it with a HomeSeer demo,Controlthink (not SDK) and Z-command software.

It did work with all of them.

Edit: Tricklestar driver: http://www.tricklestar.com/html/s02_art ... _top_id=57

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”