Avoiding duplicate posting email notices

Questions, suggestions or remarks about this forum.

Moderator: TheHogNL

MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

Like many other forum members, I have configured a forum-wide subscription to my account; Any post or any response to it results in a message in my mail box. I did this because I'd like to be informed on what's going on on this forum.

However, recently 50+ posts a day is not an exception anymore. It's clobbering my iPhone and distracting my attention too much from the little regular email I receive, which in fact is usually much more important. I'm seriously considering to stop my subscription which would eventually degrade my involvement.

Unless there's a way to get a little structure in the email I receive. One HUGE improvement would be the absence of duplicate messages: If somebody posts something I receive an email. But I also receive emails for every reply that's been posted, which is rather annoying. Holding the email notices on that specific thread until I log in and actually view that topic would safe at least 90% of the email. PHPBB offers this functionality right out of the box...
Another improvement would be to include the post/answer text itself in the email body. Yes, that would turn the forum into a mailing list, but there's nothing wrong with that: The other way around, many mailing lists are accessible as forums.

Anybody with me?
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Last weeks I have been seeking and comparing specifications for a new forum like PHPBB or others to convert to, get back on that later.
Right now This is not a standard option, I will check if I can make an adjustment in the software for personal settings.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

same thing about http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1615 ..

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Jeroen Bartels
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jeroen Bartels »

I check the forum 2-3 times a day. If you choose active topics you see al topic that have chaged since your last log in. Works fine for me. I only subscibe to the really important topics....
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I was also getting crazy about all the mails arriving so i unsubscribed forum-wide yesterday. That's why i made some extra effort to make wifi's sidebar gadget work; maybe that will help me keeping an eye on what is going on over here without the hassle of all that mail.
Growing pains...[:)]
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

Another thing you could do, since most of us are 'techies' and have their own server or maildomain is just use a separate mailbox/account for the forum mails. Or even just a rule that places them in a separate folder, this as to not drown the 'important' other e-mails you receive.

Cheers,
Esteban
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

allready have my mail automaticly in folders.. (even when my outlook client it turned off)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Same here, And not pushing the forum mails to my HTC.

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Feedback”