Fundament for control Software

Pop your questions regarding Home automation software here.....
Doompie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Doompie »

Hi all,

First i will start with a little intriduction about myself.
I'm Dominique from the netherlands, currently working as Software Quality manager. I have good programming experiences in all kind of programming languages.
The last year i read allot about Home automation and reviewed a lot of projects. Some very succesful others less..i've seen a lot of software but actually there is not an all in one sollution for good money.
but i started out writing down and combining ideas about what to automate en how...
Now wondering about the possibilities of creating my own Home Control Software.

Currently tying to make a Functional software Design to start with..
to make a technical design from there..
and of course as part of that document i need to figur out some things.

A lot of you guys here running more or less custom software you could help me out..and give me some basic information to get started with.
I have found a lot of different X10 libraries to use in the software.
But database (table)designs are harder to get.

The software will be developed in ASP.NET with a Fundament(low level) written in C#.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some more infromation about database design constrains and do's and dont's..
also more links/information about homebrew software are always welcome..

i'm trying to keep me to the SW Design "V" model, to get a little more professional end product.

Projet Status: Writing down Specifications

another idea is to get HS2 as basis for the controlling, and building custom applications around HS2.
This makes things a little easier cause all the basic functionalitiy can be called from ASP.NET pages..and also Pocket PC applications can function a lot easier..
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rene »

Maybe it is worthwhile to start a project where all interested members can participate in. Currently various forum members (e.g. Bwired, RDNZL) are taking initiatives to develop their own software while a combined effort might lead to a better product in less time. Myself and 2 other domotica fans are brainstorming on the architecture of a domotica system (hardware and software). For the software our approach is a modularized distributed model in a platform agnostic (as much as possible) programming language like C or Python. Perhaps we can use the domotica event next week to discuss this further.

Rene.
Doompie
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Doompie »

This sounds like a very good idea..

The area of SW Architecture is far from new for me.. i do allot of review sessions on peoples documents about design and requirements.
as every good reliable software tool it all starts with documentation and reviewing procedures..

the joined forces initiative sounds very good to me..i think there is allot of experience here.
I can do what i'm good at and bring in my piece..

i will try to find a time slot for that event..
Maybe a sepparate treath on this forum would also be an option just to trow in some ideas and get the pre-discussion rollin?
dutchnomad

Post by dutchnomad »

Hi, as an experienced software engineer(mainly ..Net/c#) I can put some time into this, also it is something interesting to realise.
So if you need some support on certain area's I could be of help. Let me know.

Dutchnomad

Return to “Questions & Discussions Forum”