TV energy saver

Plugwise Forum about Plugwise devices and the Source software.
Henk

TV energy saver

Post by Henk »

Have a look at www.conrad.nl for article 627802-3B as an alternative standby killer for the television/media equipment

TV-energiebesparingsadapter

Zodra uw TV in de standby-modus staat, koppelt de TV-energiebesparingsadapter na korte tijd (ca. 3 minuten) uw televisie los van het stroomnet en zet zichzelf in de energiebesparingsmodus. In de energiebesparingsmodus verbruikt de TV-energiebesparingsadapter minder dan 0,5 Watt. U kunt uw televisie als gewoonlijk m.b.v. de normale afstandsbediening in- en uitschakelen.

Henk
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

TV energy saver

Post by MindBender »

Sigh, here we go again: Most modern TVs comsume as little as 500mW in stand-by. A moderne Philips TV consumes even less, about 100mW. I'm pretty sure the conrad device uses a lot more. Half a Watt costs you less than one Euro of annual electricity costs and it's too few energy to set anything on fire. So the Conrad idea would have been a good one; 20 years ago.
Henk

TV energy saver

Post by Henk »

It is not only the television set .. in my case it includes a digital cable modem and a HD recorder. The Plugwise circle indicates a total of 10 Watt and at least 4x times a day the energie consumption level will go to 30Watt to load the program guide in the HD recorder.

You may need an intelligent switch off device so at least once a day the HD recorder will be updated with the program guide.

In my case I expect a saving of 200Watt/day = 73Kwh/yr. - roughly Euro 20/year

In my house I expect also some saving with my computer center (ADSL modem/ wireless / computer standby - indication of 20Watt = 160 Watts/day = 58Kwh/yr. and may be some saving with the electrical heater in the kitchen ..... but so far i have no other serious saving application in my house.

I'm interesting if forum members with Plugwise have other energy saving application in their home. I will publish shortly a spreadsheet model so you can easily calculate your savings and determine if the investment of a plugwise circle is ok.

Henk

Return to “Plugwise Forum”