Looking for a Dutch X10 Mac user

Forum about Xanura, Eaton Holec and Marmitek and other brand X10 and A10 devices.
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I'm MAC user but running most of my Domoitca software in VMware environment.
I have done some tests but MAC software is not that widespread and very basic

very sun I will upgrade my Domotica server to a new Mac mini (4 GB memory + SSD disk)
Host OS will be Windows XP
Running VMWARE server with few Windows XP guest systems
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

I know some other user with MAC clients but none of them is using the MAC as Domotica server.
Problem is the connectivity.
for X10 it's okay...also very basic...but I have 15 different protocols..

Some of them are also here on this Forum
RdP
Willem_Jan
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

There are very few software suites for MAC users. In fact the blockbuster "Homeseer" and others are only for windows. But i do know that there's something good for Mac, about forum users too.
Good Job,
Lorenzo
eljonco
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by eljonco »

I'm using a Mac (10.4.11), domotica software for Mac and a series of Click-On-Click-Off (KAKU, Klik-Aan-Klik-Uit) devices, something that is in NL quite similar to X10 but wireless. The other topic I'm actively investigating and implementing is interfacing the analog real world of a home to a mac. PM didn't work, mail me if you want contact.
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by MindBender »

I have evaluated HomeSeer twice, but it's too limited and too expensive because you need to pay for every bell and whistle.

Recently I have replaced most of my PCs with Mac and I was considering an XServe running Indigo for home server and domotica purposes, but with 10.6 about to break through I'm not going to spend 600 Euro for a 10.5 based OS. And with 160 Watt of power consumption in idle(!) an XServe doesn't fit the needs. A MacMini would be better and it would fit all needs, but it's a bit silly to install a 600 Euro OS on a 600 Euro computer. And Squirrel mail as a web based mail server?! I'm sure Apple can do better than that.

I have replaced my PCs with Macs because I want to be an User when I'm Using my computer. I am an Engineer, but I don't want to be Engineering all the time to keep my computers working. I am very satisfied with my Mac. I've been using Mac since I developed software on a Quadra 840AV. I've had an 8500 PPC, upgraded it to a G4 and left the platform at OS-X. A couple of years ago I bought a Grey&White out of curiosity and now I'm back.

So I think I'm quite open-minded. I did check out Indigo and I think it's a wonderful home control application, but I doubt if you will find what you are looking for because the point of having a domitica system is full integration. That means home control software, an email server, a database, a PABX, a media server, a camera server, etc all in one system. Preferably on one computer to save the electricity bill. I love Macs and I know they can do the better part of all of these things, but the choice in applications is limited and the more advance use-cases required for integration are often missing to keep things simple for Joe Average.

So I'm now leaning towards Linux with home-brew software on it. Perhaps installed on a Parallels virtual machine on a MacMini.

Return to “X10, A10 Xanura Marmitek Forum”