iCAMView

Forum to Introduce Home Automation Domotica related hardware here.....
Lennart

iCAMView

Post by Lennart »

Not exactly new, but is anyone familiar with the products from iCAMView? (www.icamview.com)

Kind of a cross-over network USB hub, video server and - with the netfeeler add-on - environmental sensor/rs232 over IP device.

Lennart
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

iCAMView

Post by TANE »

You will still need a USB webcam..
Axis 207/206 is better choice...price is comparable (Marktplaats)

My next Cam project is build a Axis 207W on the Ninja PTZ control.
Dowser

iCAMView

Post by Dowser »

Yes, an Axis is substantially better.
I have two old Axis NetEye's and one iCamView.
The iCamView was so cheap so I bought it on e-Bay just to try it out. It does what it say that it should do, and it does it good.
You can try it out here: http://reimer.nu:83/ User&pass is guest:guest
(It can also provide a static jpeg: http://reimer.nu:83/showimg_pda.cgi?cam=1)
Right now it has an uptime of 52 days, and that was since I moved some cables around then. It has been rock solid during the year I have had it.

But.
It it cheap for a reason.
First of all, it only works with a limited number of USB-webcam's. I have tried it with ~5-6 different types that I have had laying around, but only the one that I bought together with the iCamView server works. (And that was a ugly one. :D )
Secondly, it only provides "live" images through ActiveX or Java.
Thirdly, the software feels much like a "work in progress" type of beta. Most of the different functions you wan't from a webcam *are* there, but they don't work very well. Like the light compensation and other image quality settings, they exist, and they do change the quality of the image, but I can't really say that it enhances it. :)

So, if you need something with good quality and is ready to pay for it, go with the Axis solution, they totally rule! Even my old NetEyes that wen't out of production almost a decade ago still beat's most other producers network cameras.

But, if you only need a small, cheap solution and aren't to fussy about quality, then by all means, buy the iCamView!

//Markus
Lennart

iCAMView

Post by Lennart »

@Dowser: thanks for your sharing your experience. (I tried the links in your post but they appear to be broken.) By the way, I'm not looking for a camera solution as I have my share of Axis 205/206 cameras already, and yes, they work well. I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried this product that I did not read about on this forum before and whether it could be a solution for those having USB cameras lying around. "Not really" seems to be your conclusion.

Lennart
Noel

iCAMView

Post by Noel »

Fy Faen!!
You should clean your house :-)

http://www.reimer.nu:82/

--
Dowser

iCAMView

Post by Dowser »

Oh yes!
We are in the middle of moving, so everything is chaos here...
(There was a reason why I didn't give that cam as an example. :D )

//Markus

Return to “Announcements & News Forum”