Newbie - my project is correct ?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
Ograweb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Ograweb »

Hi,

I want to start with automation in my new house (i'm in France)

I setup a small server with c# application to control audio multiroom, temperature (with rfxcom and Oregon), and some touchscreen.

To control Light (and radiator after), I want to use Z-Wave.

To start, I want :
- 1 plugin (dimmable ??) module for the halogen
- 1 dimmable switch module (or thimeting like this, tu put on the wall) for lamp A
- 1 dimmable switch with 2 rocker : 1 for lamp B, and 1 to control lamp A and halogen
- 1 usb interface to connect my c# program

So i need (just for start):
300W dimmer plugin (ACT ZDP230)
500W wall dimmer ZDW232 (only 2 wire)
500W wall double dimmer ZDM230 (3 wire)
ControlThink CTZUS-1EU (eu version) With SDK (I will put in my c# program)

Ok, if someone read this completly, I have some questions :

1) Can I setup my zwave network without ZTH200 or program like ThinkEssentials ?

2) I saw some people says that Act product fails. for you, there are good products ?

3) ZDW232 is 2 wire version of ZDW230. there is other difference than "not return to previous state when power fail" and "multi tap control" ?

4) do you think I choose product adapted for what i want ? (I saw Z wave only on the web... and lot of english explain..)

thanks if you answer

ps: sorry for my bad english, i don't listen ma english teacher enough :-)
mhn

Post by mhn »

Hi.

I can give you an opinion on some of your questions. :-)

1) You need some kind of controller. A remote or an USB stick with a program.

2) I don't like the ACT products. They have a fragile feeling to me. I have a ZDP200. It will be the only one for me. I prefer Aeon or Duewi/Popp. I liked Innovus (you can still buy some of the remains, but they are out of market.) I hope QEES will make good products. But I haven't tried any yet, the first of them will be on the market within a couple of weeks.

You can see a product list here: (I Danish, but maybe you can use Google translations?) http://zwaves.dk/wiki/index.php/Produkter

There is a list off Z-Wave software here: (again Danish, but the links are good. :-)) http://zwaves.dk/wiki/index.php/Software

ControlThink is very US based.

But I don't know much about the programming interfaces on other programs. Z-Command has web services, but I don't know where he is going at the moment. And I think Z-Command is to expensive.

HouseBot is a good program, but the Z-Wave part isn't that good. I works best as a secondary controller. HouseBot is VERY good at touchscreens.

HomeSeer should be good. But again I am not that impressed about the Z-Wave part. (Now I properly get kicked. :-) )

Regards
Morten
Ograweb
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Ograweb »

Thanks for your answers

I want to use Zwave SDK (made by Controlthink) to built my own program. I will only send/receive zWave order (On/OFF dim bright...). My program already work with Rfxcom, irtrans, and 3 touchscreen

But to built the network, i need a 'primary controler' (like ZTH100) ? I think the USB key + ThinkEssentials 2.0 program can build the network, after I save the configuration in the usb key and i don't need to use ThinkEssentials ? <--- correct me if i'm wrong.

ACT product is too cheap... I don't choose X10 because I want thomething that work ! So i will look at Aeon Duewi Popp

thanks
mhn

Post by mhn »

If you just want to build a network, you can use the Aeon stick. It has an include button. So you will be able to build a network

without a PC program. I don't think it will be easy to use, but it is possible. :-)

The USB stick is the controller, so it is all you need, if you build your own program.

If you only want a simple control, maybe you can get help from some of the danish guys, who are building there own programs. (I am

not one of them. :-) )

Another way is MicasaVerde Vera. It has a large programming interface.

When the QEES master gets to market, it should have LUA interface too.

Regards
Morten

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”