Moderating ?

Questions, suggestions or remarks about this forum.

Moderator: TheHogNL

r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Moderating ?

Post by r_255 »

Can some one please explain to me the moderating policy ?

I see posts get closed or deleted because of translation mistakes...
Why these drastic mesurements ?

I really wonder or deleting/locking up topics does motivate or contribute in any way?

Might be me and no problem if it is, but its kind of frustrating to find a post locked after typing 30 minutes because some went off topic.

Sure moderators are appreciated as they spend time and efforts on keeping the board clean and attractive, but its also possible to over do things and
cause this negative side effect.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moderating ?

Post by Bwired »

Yes the policy is more tight on the forum, but it should benefit us all
We sure don't want to frustrate members!
We started with a new team so give us some time and please tell us like you do!

Are you referring to the Kika Kaku posting?
Please give some example?
r_255
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by r_255 »

http://domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4008
http://domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4105

A few sugestions :

• Move posts that are in the wrong language to a to be translated ( a dutch post atleast could give international viewers a idea or sugestion thru google translate )
    deleted posts do not give any one a idea or even an hunch.

Let people know why their post got deleted with a clear and specific reason

Be fair and strict, like telling a french guy he cant post product info about his own developed product and have a plugwise, rfxcom here as home base. ( to me thats double )
    Besides that there are more people here with commercial intrests and some times the line gets a bit hazy. So it could be intresting to have a special section for commercial product announcements.
    Its a small difference to post on behave of or just out of name of a company and hard to make a difference and to prevent, so why not embrace it ?

Give people a signal about what they are doing wrong before taking actions, I mean we are adults and makes mistakes all the time... so please give people the oppertunity to correct them self.
As formal moderator of some huge fora i can understand why rules need to be tightened, but i dont expierence any of those here.
Please dont get me wrong as to me you can be proud of whats established and the overall atmosphere is very good, just keep it that way and make it better.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Agree,

What we do now since this weekend is:
Not approved Moderated topics (members < 50 post) they are receiving a mail with the reason why not approved
Full members is more difficult, postings are placed right away, normally we edit the topic and telling below what we expect (mostly is translate to English)
But sometimes it's hard and members keep on posting in Dutch or in the wrong forum :(

Beside spam etc the rules are simple
-English where English
-Post in the right forum and search before posting
-Reply or a new Topic needs to be considered
-use quote only when needed
-try to use as much BBcode

So we are still finding a good way to keep the members as happy as possible.
But the members need to keep us happy too :wink:

ps:
I don't agree at all with your statement about the French Guy!
Guys like Rfxcom and Plugwise are to me like VIP members, they are helping the forum anyway they can.
They develop there products partly around us and give us all lots of benefits, If I would make a list it will be huge!

The French guy, just wanted to promote his product, by placing it in multiple forums and directly on his first visit. So to me thats a huge difference.
To handle this I'm thinking about a new forum for company's where they can post these kind of News and commercial announcements
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Mdamen »

Bwired:

Maybe it's an idea to put a sticky on every english forum like this:
Forum rules, please read before posting!

Point out the forum rules in that sticky...
I do see alot of that in others forums.
That way the rules are transparant and you can point people to that post if they are doing things "wrong".

Return to “Suggestions, Questions & Feedback”