Forum about PLCBUS devices & software.

Moderator: Digit

JohnieBraaf
Starting Member
Starting Member

1141 interface stopped working

Post by JohnieBraaf »

Hi all,

I have been enjoying my second hand PLCBUS 1141G interface for about a week now, and now it suddenly stopped working.

The program that I'm using with my interface sends the following command to the interface to check if its available: 02 05 00 00 0A 00 00 03

I hear the ususal sqeecky noises out of my interface at the moment this data is send to the interface, however it does not respond...

Could it be broken? It worked flawlessly just a few minutes ago and what ever I do now, it does not respond to any command ?!?

Anybody any thoughts? I opened up the interface to check for loose wiring, but the few components in there appear to be in order.

Thanks in advance,

Jan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1141 interface stopped working

Post by Digit »

Did you try disconnecting it from power for a few seconds?
JohnieBraaf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JohnieBraaf »

Hi Digit,

Disconnecting the power and usb-cable was the first thing I tried --> no joy
When I keep polling the interface eventually once in a while it responds: : 02 06 00 00 0A 00 00 1C 03 --> joy

However, it should normally, as it did before, respond to every command I send to the interface.
Does it mean that since it is responding occasionally the interface inner chip is defected?
Or what parts could get damaged? I'm totally cleuless, about where other cuases my be situated.
JohnieBraaf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JohnieBraaf »

Ok, I think I have found the cause / solution.

Sadly, it seems like I have overheated my interface inductor. The piece of hardware that makes that buzzing noises.
When I opened up my interface once again, I noticed familiar hot hardware smell, which was in fact that inductor.
It is the straight standing strip in the middle of the module, it was too hot to touch.

After 1 hour being unplugged completely, the interface respond again the way it should :D
Hopefully, it will not happen again, I'm a bit disappointed by the reliability of this interface though.
Maybe a little heat sink, would allow sufficient cooling of the object, but for now lets leave it like this.

Regards,

Jan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

That's bad quality/design I'd say... I would contact the supplier if i were you; this can be dangerous.
I've had 2 interfaces, 1 USB and 1 RS-232. The USB made that same 'buzzing' sound, the RS-232 i use since mid 2008 doesn't and has never given any problems.
JohnieBraaf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JohnieBraaf »

Hi Digit,

I think it has something to do with the design of the device. I posted the same question on the PLCBUS-info forum, and the moderator could confirm, that the interface gets overheated when abundantly sending commands with the interface. Are you sure that the RS232 interface does not suffer from this problem, as I might consider rebuilding it then as indicated in this topic.

I want to keep track, of which modules are switched on, and since a module that is switched locally (normal switch) does not broadcasts a signal over the network, I have to send periodic status requests to the modules. This generates much traffic and therefore heats up the interface. Another person told me that when sending more than 1 command per 10 seconds, will slowly heat up your interface to the point where it does't respond anymore (this was my initial problem).

Do you maybe use another method to keep track of status changes of modules? Do you request their status from time to time? Or maybe not at all? And what is the average rate of commands per minute you send?

Best regards,

Jan
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Hi Jan,

I used to do Signal level and Status polling but I disabled those and lowered Status polling to once every 5 minutes; I didn't see the benefit of it cause local switching of modules never happens here (everybody here is used to using the Touchscreen or Pronto for that; who wants to take a walk to all the corners in the living room?).
At child bedtime I send an off every 5 minutes to my son's TV module cause he thought he was smarter than me and used the local switch to turn the power back on at times he should be asleep. This will teach him! :lol: That's it right now...

But I am sure there must have been times where I'm sure I did more then 1 command per 10 seconds and I have never experienced a hot PLC1141.
But I can do a test for you and see what happens. I'll pump up the volume tomorrow and see what happens, ok?
JohnieBraaf
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by JohnieBraaf »

Hi Digit,

Polling devices every 5 minutes seems like a very reasonable time frame. I looked at your DDMC and must say that you control an impressive amount of interfaces within your home. I especially got somewhat intrigued by the Pronto remote series by Philips, as I'm still looking for a remote that interfaces both with windows media center and home automation devices, which you seem to have accomplished. Ooh, it must be hard for your children that daddy knows everything :lol:

Anyway there is no real need to let your PCBUS 1141 undergo a stress test, although it would of course be interesting for comparison. I know now that it has its limitations and I will try to work around these.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “PLCBUS Forum”