Remeha Calenta interface for Homeseer

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Menno

Remeha Calenta interface for Homeseer

Post by Menno »

Earlier posted in this forum is an article from 'Digit' who has connected his Remeha Calenta heating boiler to his computer.

With a little help from him I designed an ethernet interface with galvanic isolation. I also made 2 scripts to read the values
from the Remeha into Homeseer. This interface is based on a Ethernet-serial module from Wiznet. (this is the WIZ105SR).

This Wiznet module act as a virtual comport (in my configuration it is set to COM5).

The script can be used with my designed ethernet interface, but can also be used with the original Remeha cable or with an
interface that you build yourself.

The first script 'remeha_createdevices.vb' will create housecode R1 to R22.
The second script 'remeha_read' will read the Remeha boiler values from COM5 (can be set to your own setting)
this second script must be called from a recurring event (in my setup I call this every 5 minutes).

Communication from the Remeha to Homeseer is also CRC16-checked. this is done in the script.
Attached is a ZIP-file with: schematic, script, photo's
remeha.zip
(245.97 KiB) Downloaded 1764 times
The interface I build has also a switch on it. With this switch I can use the external input on the thermostat (Isense). This external input is connected to
my digital I/O board that I use for several purposes. (this I/O board is also connected to Homeseer)
homeseer.jpg
homeseer.jpg (96.71 KiB) Viewed 34266 times

I did not comment out the functions and methods used in the script, also this script must be fine-tuned. I am working on it.
Last edited by Menno on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Remeha Calenta interface for Homeseer

Post by Digit »

Hi Menno,

Congratulations, this is really very cool! I downloaded the zip file and there are some very nice and interesting pictures in there.
Especially how you managed to put it all in a nice box with LEDs, Ethernet and all.. really amazing!
This is the kind of projects we need around here, lots of them! :D
spierie

Post by spierie »

Great work Menno!! Looks really good!
Now I only need to figure out the pin out of my Quinta 45, which is different from the Calentas..... :(
Already googled everywhere, but can't find anything yet. In the Quinta it is connector X7, which is a 14 pin header block for flatcable connections.
Ideas are welcome..... :)

Rgds,
Michel.
esschenk

Post by esschenk »

Nice piece off work

That are the projects i like

Ed
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

really, really nice. Almost regret i got a brand new "Daalderop"
** edwin **
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

Great Job Menno and Digit :)
Next is controlling the Remeha!
I'm still waiting for Nefit to make some handy interface on there Hvac systems.
talked to somebody from Nefit, they are busy but not sure when :(

I'm really thinking about buying a new Remeha Hvac even though my Nefit is only 4 years old!
http://www.bwired.nl Online Home, Domotica, Home Automation. Weblog. http://blog.bwired.nl
mo046

Post by mo046 »

spierie wrote: Now I only need to figure out the pin out of my Quinta 45, which is different from the Calentas..... :(
Already googled everywhere, but can't find anything yet. In the Quinta it is connector X7, which is a 14 pin header block for flatcable connections.
Ideas are welcome..... :)
I have a Quinta 35C myself and face the same problem: don't know which pins of the 14-pin connector are RX and TX. I've got to investigate the circuit board a little to eleminate certain pins. I already got me one of the very cheap TTL-to-RS232 pre-assembled converters from China through eBay.
Looking at the Remeha Recom Software, it shows there are different protocols for the different boiler types. The Quita protocol is different from the Calenta, so I hope I can reconfigure the vb-script to support the Quinta. Would be nice if the script could use the various XML-configuration files of the Recom software, that would make it more universal for all Remeha boilers.

Well, good work! Now I've got a good basis to start getting it to work on the Quinta. I'll keep you updated!
** Maurice **
spierie

Post by spierie »

Hi Maurice,

I know somebody who has a special interface for all Remeha equipment. I have asked him if I can borrow it for a few days to figure out the pinout. Will let you know if I get any further.

Rgds,
Michel.
mo046

Post by mo046 »

spierie wrote: I know somebody who has a special interface for all Remeha equipment. I have asked him if I can borrow it for a few days to figure out the pinout. Will let you know if I get any further.
Michel, that would be great, thank you!
** Maurice **
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

I read a lot of wonderfull issues about an interface to Remeha calenta with homeseer.
This interface is it possible to use it for all Remeha heating/boiler systems, because several people are talking about other systems.
Which criteria are important for this interface?

B.R. Wim :) :wink:
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

Here you can find a list of models supported by the Recom software: http://nl.remeha.com/index.php?id=203

With the interface that I used for my Calenta and that was improved by Menno you should be able to do the same with the Avanta, Aquanta and Quinta Pro.
Not sure about other models, but others are exploring that (see this topic).

Menno's script probably need some adjustments for other models than the Calenta, but that's just a matter of using the right information from the XML files that are part of the Recom software. For more information you could start reading here: http://blog.hekkers.net/tag/remeha.
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

I am curious if the Remeha Quinta 28c also belongs to this list.
Do someone know this?

Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

See my reply, the links and my comments... did you check them? And if so, what do you still not understand?
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

Is was early this morning. I overseen something in the list.
I go to read this weekend to understand all the information on your website.
Thanks for the tip.

richard naninck

Post by richard naninck »

Hello,

First post here :)

I own an Avanta and a Quinta. I already got the Avanta going in HouseBot using own code and the standard Remeha interface but I am also interested in the pinout of the Quinta 14 pin header. A friend of mine hopefully has access to this data and I asked him already. If he comes up with anything interesting I will post it here.
I wanted to hook up the Avanta to my system because of the many errors I encountered with the Avanta about a year ago. Trying to take a shower but then the water remains cold. Going into the cellar to have to reset the Avanta just became very annoying. You can see all errors in the Recom software and even create an error by turning off the gas knob. I tried to reset the Avanta but it didn't work so that friend of mine (plummer and installer of Remeha) called Remeha and they told us that here in Holland it is forbidden to do remote resets. In Germany this is legal so in German Avanta's the firmware allows you to remote reset, but the Dutch Avanta's don't. This can be overcome by own built hardware on the reset knob of course, but not preferred. I didn't get any errors in the last year since the turbo fan speed was upped a bit and some other settings had been changed so I am happy with that now. Still nice to see all data from the Avanta and display it in my HouseBot theme as well as being able to alert on error's.
I want to do the same thing with my Quinta so hopefully we will all know the pin out of the interface bus. If any, I will buy the Quinta interface to speed up the fun.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”