Car alarm

Forum with questions and discussions about security or security devices like Marmitek, Elro Elk (other then Visonic)
Noel

Car alarm

Post by Noel »

I've just got a new car and would like to add some extra features to it :-)

At the moment there is a trend in the Nertherlands that 'thieves' cut a big hole in the door of VW's (in my case a VW Touran), cuting the main electicity cable tree, disabling all the car's electronics, and opening the door without a key.

What I would like to build is an extra alarm that will only get triggered when movement has been seen inside the car.
The alarm will be conected directly to the car's battery.

Anyone here who can suggest somekind of sensor (PIR?) that will work on 12 volts, and that can be used in a car?

Noel
PS. The alarms horn will be inside the car:-)
--
Maak nu je eigen video bericht online.
Anyone interested in time travel meet me here last Thursday!!
ıɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ buıɥʇʎuɐ ʇɹɐʇs ɹǝʌǝu
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Car alarm

Post by Mdamen »

You could use a JeeNode with a roomboard (jeelabs) that will run on 12v.. however that does require some soldering..
But then again there is a workshop coming up :-)

Btw.. wasn't there some kind of "bar" solution for the VW models? To prevent the cutting of the cables?
Noel

Post by Noel »

Mdamen wrote:You could use a JeeNode with a roomboard (jeelabs) that will run on 12v.. however that does require some soldering..
But then again there is a workshop coming up :-)

Btw.. wasn't there some kind of "bar" solution for the VW models? To prevent the cutting of the cables?
The "bar" solution does not work.

I'll have a look at JeeNode + roomboard
--
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

But if you cut all the cables, will the car start anyway ? today all the cars :D are so electronics pregnant that if you miss a lamp, you don't go back home!
Dickr43

Post by Dickr43 »

drmacchi wrote:But if you cut all the cables, will the car start anyway ? today all the cars :D are so electronics pregnant that if you miss a lamp, you don't go back home!
It's not about them steeling the car but it's radio and Sat/nav. Volkswagen/Audi and all other VW companies are still using headunits that work in every other car. Other manufacturers have build in chips that connect to the engine so it will only work in that car.

I've lost my Sat/Nav system too, but im my case they just smashed the window and unscrewed the 4 screws witin a matter of seconds and off they went.

Why not just build in another caralarm with motion sensors that is wired to the cars battery directly. They won't be able to disarm it by cutting the cables in the door?
Noel

Post by Noel »

The reason for my car alarm is to protect my new Sat/Nav system (a Pioneer AVIC-F9210BT)
I've enabled the security code on it, so when it does get nicked (stolen) they can not use it.

Anyway. An existing car alarm is an option, but they come with somany exta things that I do not need!
--
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

It may sound strange but depending on how close your car is to your home, could you use an MS13? (hacked to link it to your battery)

The problem would be to identify when motion in your car is OK and when it isn't. Hmm... Have to do some more thinking about this ;-)

DJ
Noel

Post by Noel »

The poblem is not when the car is at home, but when it's parked at some other place (town, friends, evoluon, Enver.. and so on)
--
Edwin2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Edwin2008 »

don't forget a fuse in case of direct 12V supply. Burning car = no fun :(
** edwin **
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

It was a matter of time but it happened:
RNS510 stolen
RNS510 stolen
RadioGone.jpg (151.7 KiB) Viewed 17735 times

Trying to figure out how I can scare potential thieves..
- Put a motion sensor in the car (MS13, Visonic, etc)
- If motion is detected after I go to sleep (Homeseer knows) a HUGE light (bouwlamp) at the front of my house turns on
- This would also make it possible to grab camera pictures (because of the light)

What are your thoughts?
Esteban
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Esteban »

That sucks :cry:
Like Noel mentioned earlier in the thread a bouwlamp helps at home, but not when the car is parked somewhere else. Did this happen at home? There is not a lot you can do except record what's happening with a camera, put 230V on the hull of the car at night :twisted: or get a garage... At night lots of light and lots of noise could be a deterrent, but from what I read some of these thieves are so quick, that by the time you've gotten out of bed they've already done 'the deed'.
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

Is that your car? Sorry :( :(
An IR sensor with relais that triggers a battery (9v-12v) powered led panel with something like "Calling Police". Thieves will se it before glass breaking, may be scaried (may be...). About cameras : if they wear a motorbike helmet, your pictures are unuseful.
DJF3
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by DJF3 »

Yes, that is my car :-(

Maybe a 'bouwlamp' inside the car... The police might find these blinded idiots that tried to steal the radio ;-)

A camera can be used and you can use the footage in court.
HOWEVER
You're NOT allowed to film public property without announcing what you're doing.
A "Camera security" sign should be visible from any part that is being filmed so people have the choice of taking a detour if they don't want to be filmed.
More info: iusmentis.com/maatschappij/privacy/film ... atoezicht/

Cheers
DJ

NOTE: The thing that bothers me most is that Volkswagen knows about this problem and doesn't care. It must be big business!
Noel

Post by Noel »

DJF3 wrote:NOTE: The thing that bothers me most is that Volkswagen knows about this problem and doesn't care. It must be big business!
Thats why I got a Pioneer AVIC-F9210BT. I've set a security code in it.
The code does not stop it getting stolen, but it's unusable for the next owner without the security code.

An option to "bug" the thieves is to put a very loud alarm sirene inside the car.
I once did this to test an alarm. It was so loud that I could not stay in the car when it was on as it was hurting my ears!
--
Dickr43

Post by Dickr43 »

My RNS510 got stolen twice in 2 years! I now have a JVC-KW-NT3 with detachable front. Keeping it with me and when not possible to take along, I put a safe in the boot in which I can place the front. Insurrance company requested this....

Both times the car was parked in front of my house, underneath my bedroom window, heard nothing....
Last edited by Dickr43 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Security & Alarmpanels Forum”