RGB Led-bar

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

Conrad is offering a nice 3-colour ledbar (red/green/orange) that you can use to display anything you like:

http://www.conrad.nl/goto/?product=590996

I use it to display RSS-feeds (See picture) and plan to use it to display important info I do not want to miss (e.g. birthdays). I can not miss it when I leave the house [:)]

Attached to this message a .PDF containing essential info on how to program the ledbar.

You could interface it with your domoticasystem to display whatever you like. The possibities are endless.

The unit is easily programmed through a serial interface or USB.

domoticaforum.eu/uploaded/Jfn/200822915 ... conrad.pdf
Noel

RGB Led-bar

Post by Noel »

Hi Jfn. Now that looks like fun :-)

---
Never start anything you can not fi....
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

Any linux support? Or "lichtkranten" for linux?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Bwired »

You got the protocol in the pdf file so does not really matter I guess just throw the command codes over the rs232 :-)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Always wanted one of those[:)]
And i'm still waiting for my PLCBUS stuff, so i think i'll order one.
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

I use a simple perl script to send text to the led-bar. My server runs Linux, so yes, there is Linux support.

But as long as you have a system with a working perl environment it should not matter what OS you have.

I started programming the ledbar on my Notebook, so the first working perl script ran on Windows, but was easily 'ported' to Linux.

I pre-programmed the ledbar to only display pages ABCDEFGHI and Z, but this can also be done from the script.

If you are not sure about the exact coding of the ledcode string, use a serial port monitor (I use HHD Free Serial Port Monitor) and the Windows application that comes with the ledbar to gather information on the right formatting of the ledcode string.

The file 'rss1.txt' that is referenced in the perl script is filled with the output of, for example, the following URL:
http://nu.nl/deeplink_rss2/index.jsp?r=Algemeen

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />Any linux support? Or "lichtkranten" for linux?

// Erik (binkey.nl)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><b>Download Attachment:</b> [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] rss led.pl.txt<br />2.55KB
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

I really should code more, to understand it all better. Wish i had more time :) but thanks for the script. USB didn't work for you btw? dont know if that changes much, but usb is easier to get on a new pc then serial :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

USB will probably become a virtual COM port anyway, so driver needed, so only Windows support for that i assume.
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

Correct, connecting through USB (after installing the enclosed driver) gives you an extra virtual COMport.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />USB will probably become a virtual COM port anyway, so driver needed, so only Windows support for that i assume.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I am not a great coder either, the perl code was build from various examples I found on the internet. My credo: 'Can you Google it, then you can make it'. USB worked also btw.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snelvuur</i>
<br />I really should code more, to understand it all better. Wish i had more time :) but thanks for the script. USB didn't work for you btw? dont know if that changes much, but usb is easier to get on a new pc then serial :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

depends on the type of usb cable, some are supported i think. Rfxcom works via usb too under linux.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

I've never done USB programming myself yet, wouldn't even know where to start [:)]
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

Same as windows, you get a /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of /dev/ttyS0 to talk to :)

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Sorry, no such thing on Windows [:D][:D]
Droezel

RGB Led-bar

Post by Droezel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />USB will probably become a virtual COM port anyway, so driver needed, so only Windows support for that i assume.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The manual says it indeed creates a virtual com port, I'm ordering one! I've had an offer for a betabrite RGB ledsign a couple of weeks ago and that's like 599 Excl. VAT! This conrad price is a nice alternative.
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

A short movie of the rgd ledbar:

The movie is of poor quality. When the messages are scrolling they are perfectly readable.

Return to “Home Automation Projects”