RGB Led-bar

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
MindBender
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

RGB Led-bar

Post by MindBender »

Nice! And fairly cheap too. Too bad it cannot display blue, but I can live with that. Does it have an open protocol, so I can use an embedded RSS reader, instead of yet-another-PC or yet-another-cable?

Some time ago I've got myself an iBall:
http://www.spacewriter.com/Overview.aspx?menuproduct=1
It was meant to show messages of the domotica system and RSS feeds, but unfortunately its protocol is not available so the only thing it's displaying now is a transparent sphere.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Tip for those who are going to order one: Visit the Conrad homepage first, for another EUR 5 discount.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Bwired »

It's looks like a Betabrite led bar which I had a while back, that one was giving to much light (to bright) for me. This one you can dim I believe and you sure need that.
So now I have a very small Led Bar :-)
check it out: http://www.bwired.nl/Camoffice.asp
[8D]
Regards Pieter
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

Check out one of my earlier postings in this message. You will find an attachment with a .PDF describing the protocol. The unit is easily programmed through a serial or USB interface.

As my HTML/PHP programming skills improve (I am still a novice in that area), one of the things I intend to do is add an option on my website that allows a visitor to enter a message on the ledbar.

@Bwired: Yes, you can dim this ledbar (25%, 50%, 75% and 100%).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MindBender</i>
<br />Nice! And fairly cheap too. Too bad it cannot display blue, but I can live with that. Does it have an open protocol, so I can use an embedded RSS reader, instead of yet-another-PC or yet-another-cable?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Droezel

RGB Led-bar

Post by Droezel »

My ledbar arrived today and works really well! I'm planning to write a homeseer plugin for it, should not be to hard to do. But first I need to finish my DMX plugin or that will never get ready.
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Mine arrived yesterday. I can control it from within my HA app. Not with all the nice features yet like color, leading, dim, but the basics are there. This weekend i'll try to put a page on my website where you can enter a text to put it on the bar LED-bar.[8D]
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Small update.
This LED-bar is quite sensitive to how you send the commands.
I discovered i sometimes got ACK's back from the LED-bar, but the command wasn't executed; tried several things to figure what was going on, and finally discovered that sending the bytes 1 by 1 to the LED-bar solved the issue. So much for the reliability of an ACK...i mean, the LED-bar must have received the complete command, since it can calc the same checksum as i did, so why not execute? Beats me. Remember this when you're starting to work with it.
Jfn

RGB Led-bar

Post by Jfn »

That is what I discovered too when programming my PERL script for this thing. Sending the characters too fast can even result in a reboot of the ledbar.

But when sending the characters one by one (in 1 ms intervals) the unit works perfectly.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Digit</i>
<br />Small update.
This LED-bar is quite sensitive to how you send the commands.
I discovered i sometimes got ACK's back from the LED-bar, but the command wasn't executed; tried several things to figure what was going on, and finally discovered that sending the bytes 1 by 1 to the LED-bar solved the issue. So much for the reliability of an ACK...i mean, the LED-bar must have received the complete command, since it can calc the same checksum as i did, so why not execute? Beats me. Remember this when you're starting to work with it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Als het niet kapot is, niet repareren!
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Yep...
Almost everytime command execution failed, the LED-bar came with the "Thank you blabla" text...
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

Update again...
Since the LED-bar is banned to stay in the office for now, i thought to do something funny with it; it's controllable from the website. http://www.hekkers.net/test/Cam1.aspx [:o)]
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

Well ok, you guys got me going. Mine is ordered now too. Dont know how the misses is going to like it and what to do with it.. but heck, i just like toys.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Bwired »

Jfn should ask a big discount on his next order with www.conrad.nl [:D]
At Conrad they are thinking what the hack is going on with that ledsign, obviously we made it to cheap!
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Snelvuur »

Just like futuromshop.nl when the oregons where cheap.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Noel

RGB Led-bar

Post by Noel »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bwired</i>
<br />Jfn should ask a big discount on his next order with www.conrad.nl [:D] At Conrad they are thinking what the hack is going on with that ledsign, obviously we made it to cheap!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I've been trying to find this LED bar on the Conrad site, but till now with no luck.
Do you/someone have a direct link to it for me?

---
Never start anything you can't fi
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RGB Led-bar

Post by Digit »

See the start of this topic [:)]

Return to “Home Automation Projects”