Automatic toilet spray dispenser

Show or discuss your existing Home automation project here, so a detailed explanation!.....
Henk

Post by Henk »

Welcome to the world of TMS Toilet Management System..

Connecting the spray-unit to either the door contact or the toilet light is not the way to go if you are using domotica. You should consider to use more intelligence . and get a solution based on domotica technology.

At least you should determine if spraying is required .. only some usage of the toilet may generate an unwanted smell what should be treated by the spray-unit.

How to determine if bad smell alarm is the case .. you may measure the time between the door closures likely for bad smell the usage time will be longer so the controller will decide after the last door closure with some delay to activate the spray-unit. Dont spray right away the person using the toilet may be covered with it. It may be not so accurate special when the door will not be closed during usage or the second person will slide right away in the toilet without proper closure of the door.

You may also give an extra early morning spray at sunrise so it will smell fresh when entering the bathroom.

By counting the usage you may send an Email for replacement of the spray can.

Another way to detect if extra purification is required is to get the toilet paper dispenser on line. So how get a Visonic door contact so get an inside roller so the toilerpaper roll will shift over it and both will rotate together. Put a magnet at the end of the inner roll and place the reed relais at the toilet mounting holder. So taking sheets of toiletpaper will close the contact. The number of closures will be an indication if extra spray is required. Also logging the toilet paper usage in the database. is a very useful data mining application.

The other contact of the Visonic unit may be used to indicate if there is enough toilet paper in the toilet. The spare toilet paper rolls will be stored on a pole so get a micro switch at the base plate. (bottom) If the last toilet paper will be used this contact will be open and Homeseer will send an Email . or the toilet light will not operate anymore so first a new supply is required.

Henk
Stevexyz

Post by Stevexyz »

This morning I bought a Glade "Sense & Spray" which looked quite similar.http://www.scjohnson.ro/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=7623

It has a 'motion' detector and a button, but you can't vary any timer. Instead you can open it up, put a transistor across the button then connect that to the DTR line of your serial port via a 15k resistor.

When you take DTR to MARK for a short time it triggers the device and releases some spray. Thankfully the mechanism operates without the canister inserted.

However:
(1) The device continues releasing spray whilst DTR is at MARK.
(2) When this machine enters S3 DTR is asserted and it releases one puff of spray.
(3) When it wakes up it releases two!

Cheers, Steve
SNG
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by SNG »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Henk</i><br />Welcome to the world of TMS Toilet Management System.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You describe in full detail my system. The way how I detect of someone has s*i*t*d is using gas sensors and a switch on the toilet seat. When you go sit down, it will detects how long you sit and if that is longer then 2 minutes... spray time.... when the gas level is high, then it will spray 2 or 3 times. A fan will also start to blow to get bad air out. A small red in the door indicates that the toilet is cleaning it self and too stinky. I am still playing with fine tuning it :)
My flush system is also linked to it, when you sit shorter then 2 minutes, small flush... and a big flush if you sit longer of course... Flushing starts 15 seconds after you left the toilet seat... :)

Other options to think about is hot air drying of the behind, heated toilet seat, an automatic lid opening that reacts on sensors. You see these things on Japanese toilets...
Henk

Post by Henk »

I saw this automatic spray unit in Australia ... but the fresh air can was replaced by a can of killing insects spray so the home will be insect-free the whole day - some doubts about health issues.
May be a better idea of adding a sound detection system sensitive of the sound of mosquito's and after detection a controlled spray.

Henk (lek geprikt door muggen, zand vlooien en bed bugs)
abl

Post by abl »

LoL on this topic; especially since I'm just in the phase of switching lights and screens... Unbelievable...
drmacchi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by drmacchi »

@ Henk :the frequency of mosquito flights http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/DianaLeung.shtml
how to repulse mosquitos : http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef005.asp
cheers, lorenzo
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Automatic toilet spray dispenser

Post by TANE »

Two years ago Wick Air project started as a geek joke.
WAF factor of this was very high.

After the switch from Xaunra to zwave was this option not working since I was checking the status of the light switch on toilet.
When turned Off one puff from the Wick Air.

The status check witch zwave using Poll command was not fast enough to use the wick Air.
Since the new Duwi switch with auto status update this option is working again..:)
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
Juande

Post by Juande »

Can this project be made with an RFXIo?

If so, how should I connect the Airwick to the RFXIo and configure the RFXIo (v1)?

Thanks!
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

This works fine with the RFXIO.
The new available wick air is not working as described in the first steps.
You need to tweak the electronic of the wick air.

In the older ones when power is connected wick air will be activated.
The new version works a bit different and will wait the selected time laps.
What you need to do is disabling the timer
Enver Tanriverdi | http://blog.tane.nl
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi

I have the older one.

Could you give a short guidance on ow to configure the RFXIo ports and how Homeseer should be configured?

Appreciated
Juande

Post by Juande »

Problem solved

I had to select the Wiport 8 ports interface in HS

Thanks anyway

Return to “Home Automation Projects”