Linux & RFXCom

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

jdr0berts
Starting Member
Starting Member

Linux & RFXCom

Post by jdr0berts »

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to HA, have been watching from the sidelines for a good number of years and have finally taken the plunge... I've built a DomotiGa server on a sheevaplug.....and purchased an RFXCom to initially go with some HomeEasy switches.....

The sheevaplug is running kernel 2.6.39.4, and 9.04.

dmesg gives:

Code: Select all

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
ftdi_sio 1-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
usb 1-1: Detected FT232RL
usb 1-1: Number of endpoints 2
usb 1-1: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-1: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-1: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
ftdi_sio: v1.6.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.20.0-ioctl (2011-02-02) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
NET: Registered protocol family 10
eth0: no IPv6 routers present
I'm trying to use the RFXCOM through the DomotiGa.nl software, but when enabling the Transceiver and setting port to /dev/ttyUSB0, I get the following:

Code: Select all

2012/04/08 14:49:35 RFXCom transceiver support enabled.
2012/04/08 14:49:35 RFXCom transceiver Error: Cannot open serial port (#5) at CRFXCinTRX.ConnectSerial.418
2012/04/08 14:49:35 ERROR: RFXCom transceiver serial interface FAILED to connect to Port /dev/ttyUSB0
2012/04/08 14:49:35 RFXCom transceiver Relay disabled
I'm only running a server, so have no front end available, so don't think that RFXmngr is possible to check. I've checked it with on a Windows PC and know the transceiver is working.

Is there anyway I can test the transceiver from the command line to check all is well before I start looking into domotiga?

Thanks
James
Mdamen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Linux & RFXCom

Post by Mdamen »

Are you using domotiga as a regular user? If that's the case, did you set the appropriate permissions on the USB serial port?
jdr0berts
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Linux & RFXCom

Post by jdr0berts »

Hi there,

An update..... I've exchanged a few emails with Ron and following a bit more work this evening, have a working domotiga server on a sheevaplug, with a client running in an ubuntu VM on virtualbox in Win7. On the sheevaplug I have an RFXcom transceiver, and a couple of sensors connected so far (remote control - HE300W, and a Domia Lite motion sensor).

There were numerous problems - I've made notes which I'll add to the wiki in due course, but in summary.....

- Sheevaplug kernel version, needs to be at least 2.6.26 to support the FTDI serial to USB driver needed to connect the RFXCom transceiver. I found a few links which explained how to do a complete fresh install of the sheevaplug, then I found this link which explained how to do it without having to completely re-flash the device:
plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Ins ... -linux.com

- Next was to install gambas and DomotiGa to the sheevaplug. The internal storage isn't big enough, so I inserted an 8GB SD card and followed these instructions to get the plug to boot from the SD card:
plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/SD_ ... ile_System

- Once done, I followed the steps on the Domotiga.nl site to install gambas and domotiga server..

Then the fun started..... 1st I couldn't see anything being connected to the server......
- Make sure the mode in the config for the GUI is set to "Client"

Next I was hit by running Ubunutu in a VM...... while I could connect to the server, the logs between the server and what was appearing on the log on the GUI were different...... downloading wireshark and hunting for UDP packets (thanks Ron), and I setup up a port forwarding rule....long story short:

- Make sure the network mode of the VM is set to bridged, so it can see what's sent out of the server.

And finally, make sure that the remote control you're using to try and see if the RFXcom will pick it up has sufficient battery power left in it :oops:

Now on with the fun, I have a switch device to connect....this weekends goal, make my lounge lamp turn on at sunset......

CHeers
James

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”