Approach for EU and US z-wave on Homeseer

Homeseer Forum in het Nederlands (DUTCH forum)

Moderator: Ruud

CaptNemo

Approach for EU and US z-wave on Homeseer

Post by CaptNemo »

I want to have both a EU and a US zwave device connected to a single Homeseer install. Some say it doesn't work...

I have two Aeon Labs sticks. Having the EU controller as primary, and the US controller as secondary doesn't work, homeseer thinks the secondary is a slave. Swapping the US as primary attaching devices fails too, it uses a zwave id already in use by the EU controller (and Homeseer). On a bare HS install the US stick does work.

My line of thought is now to put something inbetween the zwaev sticks and Homeseer:
- install both Aeon Labs sticks (let's say COM3 and COM4)
- install com0com (http://com0com.sourceforge.net/) and configure a COM5 to COM6 virtual port.
- Have a piece of software talk to the sticks on COM3 and COM4 on one side, remapping zwave id's, and talking on the other side to COM5.
- Have homeseer connect to COM6.

My knowledge from zwave is limited. Looking at http://code.google.com/p/open-zwave/updates/list it's not that easy, however if it is only remapping the device id's it should not be too complex.

Now on that piece in the middle, com0com just installs on 32bit windows. My programming skills should be fine, however I do not have an IDE for developement on Windows. I was looking at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=89814 to maybe use a long-running Homeseer VB script to do the job.

Any thoughts?
Rene
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Approach for EU and US z-wave on Homeseer

Post by Rene »

Rene.
CaptNemo

Post by CaptNemo »

Yeah, probably better to make an exe then scripting it. Will give it a try
CaptNemo

Post by CaptNemo »

Just to be complete: abandoned it.
I have 2 HS PRO (running on a single license, I know), one with US Stick as 'slave', the other with EU Stick + much more, reading the US devices from an XML script on the US system.
Wim2008
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Wim2008 »

I'm interessed in your project about 2 aeon sticks. You installed 1 eu aeon stick and 1 us aeon stick.
I use one aeon stick as secondairy controller and the Merten controller as primairy controller. Do you think that it would be possible to read in 2 eu eaon sticks, but one as primairy controller and the other as secondairy controller. If that would be possible, can you tell me how to do that?

BR Wim :)
CaptNemo

Post by CaptNemo »

Hi Wim,

appologies for the late response.
2 z-wave controller situations are possible, but I do not know all details, so this is just how I understand it to work: In Homeseer it is usually 2 stickes running both a 100% device config, mirroring on config (primary) to the other (secondary). All devices need to be connected to the primary (hence it not working for different frequencies) and the 'sync' works only if a specific library (with the sync function) exist, which is not the case for all z-wave controllers.
Homeseer only develops for the '1 frequency multiple areas' situation for multipe controllers.

I cannot tell how, as I have not done so.

Cheers, Frans

Return to “Homeseer algemeen Forum”