Powermax and Digi Portserver

Forum about Visonic products like Powermax Plus and Powermax Pro

Moderators: Rene, Willem4ever

johnz

Powermax and Digi Portserver

Post by johnz »

Does anyone have a working setup where the Powermax is communicating with the Digi Portserver? (TS4 in my case).
If so, can you share your Portserver port settings? I have tried several settings in the driver and can't get it working.

I can't get the Remote Programmer software to find the Powermax.

I am using the RJ45 cable that came with the Powermax+ RS232 kit. Perhaps this is the problem, can someone confirm that this cable should work in this setup?

Thanks in advance,
John
Akatar

Re: Powermax and Digi Portserver

Post by Akatar »

that cable won't work.
you have to make one and you can find that on this board
johnz

Post by johnz »

Thanks Akatar!

It didn't sound logical to me to put that cable in its RS232 connector and then put another connector and cable on top of that, but I guess it is.

John
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

johnz

Post by johnz »

Been there a lot :oops: It's working now, thanks!
marck

Post by marck »

This is getting frustrating, my connection to the Visonic Powermax rs-232 port does not work. :?
The powermax Pro has the dual serial interface module. I'm using the left rj45 port of this module.
Then I used different ethernet cables with on both sides a RJ45 connector to connect the Visonic to the Digi Portserver TS4
E.g I used the original cable that came with the kit, that does, as was already mentioned in this post, not work
Tried also to fabricate a cable using the example with 3 wires, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
But the difference with this setup is, that previous examples uses a DB9 connector. That's not something I need in this config.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rg
Marck
Fantic

Post by Fantic »

This will be trial and error, but logic says the following, the Powermax uses the middle 2 wires (4 and 5) for RX and TX and wire 6 for ground, the DIGI uses 4 and 5 for ground and 3 and 6 for RX and TX, you will have to work you way through the options. Wire position 4 and 5 are internally connected on the DIGI side, so when you make a cable just make sure to connect ground to 4 or 5.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
marck

Post by marck »

Thanks Maarten for your reply.

I did spend many hours during the weekend, and I tried the combinations you suggested and it didn't work.

To be completely sure that at least the powermax rs232 is working, I connected the powermax via a db9 to USB connector. I used the ethernet cable and rj45 to db9 adapter, that both came with the dual rs232 interface module from visonic powermax pro, to connect the powermax to the db9 connector. I could login, so the module works. Check!!!

Before I can continue, and troubleshoot further, I need to check a few things to be completely sure:

1. Did you count the pins from left to right, pins facing upwards (lipje naar beneden)
2. I assume that is for a 8 pin connector and not for 10 pins
3. the rj45 to DB9 connector that came with the package, uses the following pins (10 pin connector): 4, 5 and 7. Which is 3 and 4 and 6 for a 8 pin connector. You mentioned that the powermax uses 4 and 5 and 6. So are you really sure about this??
4. according to the Digi cable guide (page 9 and 25), pin 4 is ground on a 10 pin connector. Which is pin 3 for a 8 pin connector. But you mentioned both 4 and 5 are ground.

Maybe you could give me another kickstart.

Rg
Marck
Fantic

Post by Fantic »

Mrack,

I was assuming the link earlier in the post was about both the Digi and the Powermax and went from there, my bad, this document http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentat ... 0253_F.pdf show on page 15 that you're right.
With an 8 pin RJ45 the middle 2 wires are the rxd and txd.

If you are lucky enough to have 2 cables that are ending in a DB9, I would start from there, most useful would be if you have 2 DB9 Female connectors at each cable.
If you then also know they work with that device, like you have with the Powermax, then you can use small pieces of solid wire to hook pins 5 together and after that experiment with 2 and 3 at either side.
However with the above knowledge you can also apply this logic with a 4 wire flat cable in a RJ45, as long as you can get the wires into the DB9's holes. Just use one of the outer 2 wires to put into the nr 5 of the db 9 ( ground) and the middle 2 in the 2 and 3 of the DB9. When it does not work swap 2 and 3. If both fail repeat with the other outer wire connected to pin 5 of the DB9.

The DB9 numbers are mostly printed on the connector. once you have that working, you can measure the correct wiring from the 3 RJ45 ends.

Good luck.
Regards, Maarten.
Never let a computer know you're in a hurry.
marck

Post by marck »

I have this working now.

Using 8 pin RJ45 to 8 pin RJ45 the pins should be connected as follows, from the perspective of a front view male 8 pin RJ45 with the pins facing upwards where the most left is pin is numbered 1:

Digi Powermax
3 Gr 4 Gr
4 RxD 6 TxD
5 TxD 3 RxD

Rg
Marck

Return to “Visonic Alarm systems”