Z-Wave themperatuur/humidity meter or RFXCOM and Oregon

Forum about Domotiga Open Source Home Automation for Linux.

Moderator: RDNZL

christiand

Z-Wave themperatuur/humidity meter or RFXCOM and Oregon

Post by christiand »

I want to add some temperature/humidity sensors to my network. At the moment everything I use is Z-wave, but I was wondering if RFXCom and some oregon sensors are better? Also RFXCom would give me access tot electric curtain and other engergy metering.

Anybody has experience with z-wave sensors like the aeotec multi sensor (http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor, http://aeotec.com/z-wave-sensor/47-multisensor-manual.html) or the Everspring ST814. How is the battery life and domotiga/openzwave support? Especially the new Aeotec sounds interesting cause it measures also light and movement.

In the case of RFXCom what sensors do you use and how is the support within domotiga?
sj3fk3

Re: Z-Wave themperatuur/humidity meter or RFXCOM and Oregon

Post by sj3fk3 »

My guess is there's a big price gap between the Z-wave multisensors and the cheapest temperature/humidity sensors you can get working with RFXCom. Personally I have a mix of inexpensive sensors ranging from cheap €15,- till €25 from conrad to some more expensive Oregon THGR810 (€45). Total of 9 in and around the house. I've mixed them on purpose, using all available channels and because not all needed a display. All of them work fine with the RFXCom (see list on the site for all the supported sensors).

I don't have any Z-wave devices yet, but considering getting some. Still I would want to stick to RFXCom and the current temp/hygro sensors because they work so reliable and so far domotiga neatly supported all the sensors I used.
Kind Regards,
Greg.
rovinge

Post by rovinge »

I currently have multiple Plugwise Senses, an Evergreen ST814 and several Oregon Scientific (OS) temp/humidity sensors.

In short: I am in favor of the OSs over Z-wave and Plugwise.

Short story long:
I started off with one Evergreen and Z-wave. Inclusion and configuration is a hassle, but then this is my first (and still only) z-wave device connected to homeseer. The Evergreen device is big, cluncky compared to the stylish plugwise senses and OSs.

Plugwise was my next best thing, but unfortunately the Homeseer plugin still will not let me read the senses temp/humidity values in Homeseer. The only positive thing with the Senses (in my opinion) is that a Sense stores its temp. and humidity records in 'memory' if it is not connected to the plugwise network. As an example, I have one in my car and I can readout the readings of that day or week when I am back at home. Despite this, I am thinking of selling off a number of Senses as I now found the Oregons of much better, cheaper and easier use.

On the Oregons: I should have started with these right from the beginning (would have saved me quite some money). Via an USB RFXCOM I am reading out six different OS THGN sensors without any issue. I have four THGR122 (with display) and three outside THGN 132 running on solar energy. As said before, from an esthetic point of view I have no problem hanging the smaller THGR122 from my living room or bathroom wall, rather than that cluncky Evergreen.

One other benefit of using RFXCOM is that in addition to readout the OSs I am now also using RFXSensors to readout the inside fridgerator and freezer temperatures.

Hope this helps.
Roel
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

I've been using RFXCOM and a selection of Oregon sensors for about 5 years now and they have proved to be very reliable. I have 14 indoor T/H devices of various models and other Oregon outdoor weather sensors. I do occasionaly see communication errors because I have multiple sensors on the same channels but this is not a big issue.

I also have 3 or 4 Z-wave devices which have also been reliable, however the main difference for me (other than price) is battery life. I have my ST814 Z-Wave devices set to update every 10 minutes and 3 x AA batteries will last about 6 months. The Oregon devices update every 1 minute or so and 2 x AAA (same brand) batteries will last about 12 months.

My weather sensors are all solar powered, so no battery issues with them.

As was previously mentioned, the Oregon devices are also much nicer visually than the Everspring ST814.

Paul..
christiand

Post by christiand »

Thank you for all the advice! I think I will go for an usb rfxcom with some oregon's. It s like you said the battery life of zwave devices is alot lower and support of the newer sensors isnt that well in openzwave. And a rfxcom opens up other possibilities in devices that zwave doesnt offer.
uAlex73

Post by uAlex73 »

I agree with everybody, using RFXCom for the temperature sensors is the most stable and cheap option to go for (and you can do other things with it ;-)). Also i wouldn't recommend the Aeon multi-sensor, it measures the temperature just fine, but for all the multi-sensors it seems the movement reporting is crap (it doesn't report always the movement if some movement has detected earlier). For movement i got good experience with the Everspring SP103.
DomotiGa / Z-Wave / RFXCom / Visonic PowerMaster / Home Assistant / Zigbee2MQTT / DSMR Reader / Toon1 (rooted)
christiand

Post by christiand »

Just ordered an RFXCOM USB and two oregon THGN 132ES. Hopefully it arrives before the weekend so I can test it.

Return to “DomotiGa Forum”