Opentherm Gateway

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

nlrb

Re: Opentherm Gateway

Post by nlrb »

RedNax wrote:When it only reacts to bit 1 of the HB why are both bit 0 and 1 set on it?
bit 0: Manual change priority [disable overruling remote setpoint by manual setpoint change, enable overruling remote setpoint by manual setpoint change]

Bit 0 is set for devices that do support it. For you it should make no difference whether bit 0 is set or not, so value 2 should have the same effect as value 3. At least I see no difference in behavior.
RedNax
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by RedNax »

Are we acting under the assumption the thermostat swapped HB and LB? Or did Honeywell decide to do some propriatary stuff with their HomeTronic system?

Anyway.. Now that SR=100:2,3 is active could it cause problems since it's now static?
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

RedNax wrote:Are we acting under the assumption the thermostat swapped HB and LB? Or did Honeywell decide to do some propriatary stuff with their HomeTronic system?
I'm assuming they swapped HB and LB by accident because of the 'confusing' description in the spec.
RedNax wrote:Anyway.. Now that SR=100:2,3 is active could it cause problems since it's now static?
Could be, but don't think so.
Joep
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Joep »

At the moment I'm working on a PHP script to read-out the 'PS=1' command and put it to JSON. This file I use with jQuery to make the data realtime in my new HTML 5 app.
The otdata.txt file from otmonitor.exe shows with a 1 or 0 if the CHmode is enabled, DHW mode is enabled and if the flame is burning.

From the 'PS=1" output I get:

Code: Select all

00000010/00000000,10.00,00000011/00000011,0.00,0/0,18.00,0.00,1.51,19.38,29.10,30.20,7.70,25.20,65/40,90/20,58.00,90.00,12031,0,0,7820,0,653,0,0
I think the 5th bit after the slash is the flame, 0 for off and 1 for on. But I can't find the other two bits in documentation searched on the otgw site and these forums.
Before I go with trail and error, I want to ask if someone can tell me this. :D
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The bits are simply all data bits from MsgID 0. See the opentherm specification for their meaning.
Last edited by hvxl on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schelte
Joep
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Joep »

I could not find it after lots of searching. Thank you I'll look in de specification, stupid I didn't Google for that. Sorry, feel dumb now :oops:
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Joep wrote:I had the idea when I request the data via JSON (for example http://myserver/json), the otmonitor program outputs the latest data in JSON format.
I have just published a beta version of Opentherm Monitor that provides this, and many other new features.
Schelte
Joep
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Joep »

Thank you so much. I'm going to experiment with it asap. Also with the Honeywell vision, but it's so busy at work past months I don't get to it :(
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

I cannot upload an old firmware with the new otmonitor 4.0b0. The program button remains greyed out after selecting a firmware file.
Attachments
otmonitor_fw.png
otmonitor_fw.png (10.77 KiB) Viewed 15500 times
Last edited by nlrb on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Templar

Post by Templar »

When the thermostat wires are short-circuited, the gateway will instruct the boiler to start heating. This allows the gateway to be used with an on/off thermostat.
This means the OT connection doesn't break and re-establish during a short-circuit. Some Data-id's are only transmitted right after starting the OT data connection. These are Data-íd's 2, 3, 124, 125, 126 & 127 (and 74, 75, 76, only Honeywell Chronotherm Vision/Touch) if I recall.

For logging purposes (equipment matrix) an option for connection reset would come in handy.
vanisher

Post by vanisher »

Just tested, same issue here. (no programming possible)
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

nlrb wrote:I cannot upload an old firmware with the new otmonitor 4.0b0. The program button remains greyed out after selecting a firmware file.
That's a bug. I'll fix it. Thanks for reporting.
Schelte
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Templar wrote:This means the OT connection doesn't break and re-establish during a short-circuit. Some Data-id's are only transmitted right after starting the OT data connection. These are Data-íd's 2, 3, 124, 125, 126 & 127 (and 74, 75, 76, only Honeywell Chronotherm Vision/Touch) if I recall.

For logging purposes (equipment matrix) an option for connection reset would come in handy.
I have no idea which point you are trying to make. Can you please rephrase?
Schelte
Templar

Post by Templar »

hvxl wrote:I have no idea which point you are trying to make. Can you please rephrase?
Rephrase:
Several data-id's are only requested by the thermostat once after power up (making connection). So if I connected the Opentherm Monitor to an already running Opentherm Gateway and want to see those data-id's, I had to temporarily short-circuit one of the two clamps in order to break the OT connection with the thermostat. Now with the latest firmware the trick doesn't seem to work anymore*.

* Problem solved! I short-circuited the Boiler screw clamps (X2) while I should have short-circuited the Thermostat clamps (X1). :D
dirkjanw
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by dirkjanw »

Any idea what could cause the gateway to intermittently need VR=2 or VR=3? Lately I regularly (every few days) need to toggle it for communication to be restored. The thermostat will report 'No communication' and no boiler messages are being decoded at that moment. So it seems the voltage is very critical there.

Is there something I could investigate or change (perhaps changing out resistors or something)? I already tried the beta firmware but that results in errors only, no matter what voltage I pick (happy to debug that later if needed, but right now my wife is pregnant and her finding a cold house every few days is not good for the WAF of my endeavors :)).

By the way, this concerns a Bosch HRC Top Boiler and a Honewell Chronotherm Vision.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”