This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

phoenixb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Opentherm Gateway

Post by phoenixb »

not yet.
I get the interface running with the vcom port software but not directly with a TCP-IP command in TCP host mode.
Normaly when you want to run the interface on a PC it's no problem only I want to let it run on a Vera box.

Post by nlrb »

Works fine for me with a USR-TCP232-T or USR-TCP232-E.
phoenixb
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by phoenixb »

@nlrb, is it possible for you te insert a screenshot of your USR-RS232 settings?
I use at this moment the converter as a TCP-HOST on port 966 (default)

Post by nlrb »

In otmonitor or the Vera plugin I can connect to 192.168.1.160:23.
Attachments
USR-TCP232-E45 setting.png
USR-TCP232-E45 setting.png (30.99 KiB) Viewed 20354 times
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

ik heb nu eindelijk een goed werkende opentherm convertor van nefit zodat ik de gateway kan gebruiken. werkt prima maar wat houdt deze melding in?

19:02:21.428407 AF0050000 Unk-DataId Application-specific flags: 00000000 0

neem aan een melding die de gateway niet herkend?

verder nog om de paar minuten melding
error 1
error 2
error 3

kan zo snel niet vinden wat die inhouden maar zal vast wel ergens staan??
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Dat is een heel normaal antwoord van de gateway naar de thermostaat. Zo te zien heeft de gateway geleerd dat de ketel (of in jouw geval de convertor) MsgID 5 niet ondersteunt, dus gebruikt hij het tijdslot om andere informatie aan de ketel te ontfutselen en geeft dan de response die de ketel (convertor) zou hebben gegeven terug aan de thermostaat.
Schelte
sanderl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by sanderl »

Will this work with the nefit easyconnect and a wireless opentherm gateway?
chipje
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by chipje »

I have a OTGW connected between a ELGA heatpump and a Honeywell Vision Modulation.
Now for the fifth time I lost the connection with the heatpump and its the same problem every time.
The thermostat shows a temperature of 10.0 degrees and the heatpump won't start anymore.
Every time they replace the print controling the heatpump.
Now they say the OTGW is the problem.
I don't think the OTGW is the problem , but can someone confirm that?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

If you built and connected the gateway correctly, the part of the gateway circuitry that is connected to the heatpump is just a couple of resistors, diodes and transistors, galvanically isolated from the rest of the device. There are no capacitors, coils, or an external power source that can generate a raised voltage or inject a current. So really all those components can do is draw current from the heatpump interface. According to the opentherm specs it is even allowed to short-circuit the opentherm line, so there is no way the circuitry can draw too much current.

If it is possible to damage the heatpump controller using basically passive circuitry, ELGA should take another look at their circuitry design.

How close is the gateway to your heatpump? If there is a long cable, it is much more likely that the damage is caused by that cable picking up some spikes via induction from a nearby 220V power cable, a thunder storm, or something like that.
Schelte
hansdegit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hansdegit »

I have removed the max232 chip from the OTGW and connected the ground, tx-in and rx-out of the IC-holder to my Netduino, this works beautifully.
OT Gateway is working perfectly with an ELGA heatpump here (Honeywell Touch Modulation) . Thus far I've found one quirk: When I issue the Set Clock command (via serial interface), the GW responds as expected, but the set time is never updated on the thermostat. Is this normal behaviour?

Tonight I'll try to see how the ELGA reacts to different modulation levels via the CS and MM commands.

Interesting stuff.
nlrb

Post by nlrb »

Time is set via message ID 0x20. If you look at the equipment matrix, you'll see that the Honeywell Touch Modulation doesn't support that.
mbnn
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by mbnn »

Hello all, i got the opentherm-gateway solution (LAN) from opentherm-gateway.com. Everything is installed, the tplink is set to opentherm gateway but when i plug in the USB from the gateway to the tplink the light goes blue and stays blue all the time, when i try to go to :1001 nothing shows up. Any idea what this could be? 230V is connected, themorstat connected, boiler connected, and the USB is connected with 3 wires (only red not the manual says).

Thx
hansdegit
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by hansdegit »

chipje wrote:I have a OTGW connected between a ELGA heatpump and a Honeywell Vision Modulation.
Now for the fifth time I lost the connection with the heatpump and its the same problem every time.
The thermostat shows a temperature of 10.0 degrees and the heatpump won't start anymore.
Every time they replace the print controling the heatpump.
Now they say the OTGW is the problem.
I don't think the OTGW is the problem , but can someone confirm that?
Hello chipje,

Right now, I have the exact same problem. Outside temperature is reported as 10 degr, heatpump does not spin up anymore. Probably a coincidence, because another Elga customer has that same problem with the Carrier print, but he does not own an OTGW.
<slightly off topic>
Did Techneco replace the Carrier print?
</offtopic>
jorritvdven
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by jorritvdven »

Hello everyone,
Yesterday evening I've built an OTGW using a kit bought from opentherm-gateway.com.
After building the power supply part of the PCB I connected it to the mains and found out the 7805 was actually generating a 6.5V voltage instead of 5V. Because I suspected the 7805 wasn't functioning properly I replaced it with a 78L05 which I had lying around (didn't have any 7805's anymore :( ), which solved the issue.

Does the gateway draw more than 100mA from the power supply? Or should I order a replacement 7805 (which can produce up to 1A)?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The gateway itself draws about 10mA from the 5V power supply. If you connect any LEDs that number will obviously go up. But unless you make the LEDs bright enough to light the room, you should stay well below 100mA.
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”