Best Z-Wave brand?

Forum and Topics about Z-Wave devices.
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Best Z-Wave brand?

Post by stefxx »

Hi!

I am a HomeSeer user since 2000 and used primarily X10 (mostly Xanura A10) and Plugwise for switching. Now I have to extend my setup a little but I don't want to invest in the old technology again, so I was looking to Z-Wave. But I can't figure out where to start. What is the best brand for a Z-Wave stick and Z-Wave modules?

Mainly I use build-in modules like the DAIX12 and SAIX12. They do work perfectly (but I am having increasingly issues with LED interference). In my house I have both a phase and neutral cable in every wall socket and switch. I have 50mm depth electrical/junction boxes (Dutch: inbouwdozen). I like to select a manufacturer with a wide range of modules, broad software support (including Homeseer off course) and preferably power measurement as well.

An overview of all manufacturers and their features would be great. Also, any advice and real life experience you can give me s highly appreciated!
abl

Re: Best Z-Wave brand?

Post by abl »

I've quite some Z-Wave devices from Merten. We've installed these about 5 years ago and throughout the years we've added some.
Some dissatisfiers I've encountered:
- At first I thought that these should be able to report its status back to the system, unfortunately it turned out that this was only achievable via polling. Even more, polling shouldn't be done too frequently as the network could become unstable. This however could for a large part be related to myself not reading properly in advance.
- In my old setup I had some 'hotelschakelingen' (changeover switch?); I've never managed to have that in my new setup. A proxy solution was to take out one of the two switches and replace that by a battery device.
- I had quite some trouble importing the battery devices in HS2. However, with help from other forum members (Wim), there was a solution to replicate the import from the Merten software. This was not very easy and I had to buy additional stuff (Merten stick) and I also some installation troubles.
- Some of my old switches were double ones; at that time, these were not offered by Merten. So I had to leave these old ones in place.
- I switched over to LED lights in my living room. The old lights were dimmable Halogen spots and it took me quite some trial and error to have an acceptable Merten LED solution in place. It still is not perfect (have to combine two Halogen spots with 24 LED's), but it is not really visible.

I recently moved over to HS3 and I must say that the Z-wave enhancements surprised me. The transition went quite smoothly and it also turned out that new Z-wave functions were available. For instance to stop screens at a certain position; in HS2 it was only possible to open or close, now you can also stop.

It might seem that I'm not that satisfied but all in all I'm quite pleased. The Merten devices are well designed and the connectivity is quite good. Prices are ok-ish, especially when ordered in Germany.
Akatar

Post by Akatar »

normal zwave devices should work with most controllers

i would not choose for duwi, i have a lot of duwi modules and they don't work as expected, i have to poll them for status change (even the .ME versions)

another brand is aeon labs
https://www.betaalbare-domotica.nl/modu ... laars.html
i don't have them, so nothing to tell about them

i do have a couple of fibaro modules
http://www.smartcontrolshop.com/nl/22-inbouw-modules
they work as expected and a couple have some extra's (rgbw module and universal bin sensor
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Thank you both for sharing your experience. I assumed all Z-Wave devices would report their status back. All my Xanura modules do and I would hate loosing that (and start polling).

I think I like the Fibaro modules but I don't think they do power measurement?
olof

Post by olof »

abl wrote:I've quite some Z-Wave devices from Merten. We've installed these about 5 years ago and throughout the years we've added some.
I recently moved over to HS3 and I must say that the Z-wave enhancements surprised me. The transition went quite smoothly and it also turned out that new Z-wave functions were available. For instance to stop screens at a certain position; in HS2 it was only possible to open or close, now you can also stop.

It might seem that I'm not that satisfied but all in all I'm quite pleased. The Merten devices are well designed and the connectivity is quite good. Prices are ok-ish, especially when ordered in Germany.
Abl,
When you say that moving to HS3 was a positive surprise, also specifically for your Merten z-wave products? The dissatisfiers you describe with Merten Z-wave and HS2, I have exactly the same.
So please give me (us) more details on the improvements regarding HS3 & Merten Z-wave! I would really, really like to know! :) For example, do you still need Merten's own software before moving all the info over to HS? What about the Merten battery operated devices, etc...

thanks
Olof
marck

Post by marck »

Hi,

For zwave I have currently only Fibaro hardware running, that is; 8 dimmers, 1 wall plug, 1 motion sensor and 1 smoke sensor. This is all controlled via Razberry and openzwave and Domoticz.

Aside from the smoke sensor everything runs rockstable for already more than 1 year.
Last edited by marck on Sun May 31, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bastiaan

Post by Bastiaan »

Like you I am running Xanura for years. tested Some Zwave and was Pretty disappointed about range and mechanical strength. DUWI switches all failed after a while. yes also the .ME version. Seemed the relais could not handle the same load as the xanuras. Fibero has a very nice range but had also compatibility issues. Seems most of them are solved and in my test setups they work well with HS3.

I am using an AEON stick V1. Never an issue with it. Using zwave thermostats was a bit of a struggle but working now for two years. Main issue: best prices and range is US material like it was with the X10. Constant development like with the new HS network zwave box always takes a long time to get here.
My advice would be to go with Fibaro for now but be careful with their dimmers. Two wired and gave me more issues with low power lights compared to Xanura. Buy your self a small set to test and go from there. (Or borrow mine).

Bastiaan
abl

Post by abl »

@Olof,

What I meant with a positive HS3 surprise is that the Aeon Labs stick was easily recognized in HS3 and all devices were properly configured.
Regarding the battery powered devices (and dual button devices) there are also some developments; at least if I understood well from this document/manual:

smarthus.info/support/download/zwave/Me ... en_bpd.pdf

I haven't tried to reconfigure the battery devices as they were already imported (and I never again mess with a system that is running ;-)).
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

Reading all this doesn't get me real exited about Z-Wave. I was hoping it would cause less issues than X10 (which, after careful setup and adjustment works fine btw). Guess nothing is perfect :evil:
olof

Post by olof »

@abl

Thanks for the quick reaction. Nice to hear that the stick is easier recognized in HS3
I´m familiar with the smarthus doc, but it is still a PITA wrt Merten and Homeseer.
And yes, I have not reprogrammed my Merten since original installation, its beautiful stuff and super stable. But I would not use Merten now if I would be starting now from scratch..

Thanks anyways!
Olof
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

What about Qubino? Any experience?

Does the Qubino report his status on local operations?
John

Post by John »

I use a lot of fibaro devices double and single switch. Smoke sensor, universal plug, water sensor and wall plug. No big issues and very stable. Als using duewi devices outside the house for 5 years without any issues. Planning to test quibino devices as the double switch supports energy management

---
John

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk
stefxx
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by stefxx »

And what about the USB stick? Any preference?
mhn

Post by mhn »

I would say Z-wave.me UZB1. It's the only EU Z-Wave+ I know.

I use it with Homeseer 3.

Regards
Morten
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

Since i`m using the UZB stick my HS3 setup seems to be running without any issues although the stick is quite small and quite cheap I`m using Fibaro / Duwi / Duwi.ME / Popp / Everspring / GreenWave modules and i only need to poll the Duwi/GreenWave modules.
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Z-Wave Forum”