Opentherm Gateway

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

velter
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: Opentherm Gateway

Post by velter »

Is there somewhere a guide online on how to install/setup an OTGW USB on a debian Linux system?
Or can I assume the OTGW is just plug&playable?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Unless you're a total newbee on linux and get tripped up by things like having to make a binary executable after downloading before you can run it, it should all be quite straight-forward.
Schelte
velter
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by velter »

So no need to install drivers etc
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

OTmonitor is only provided as a 32-bit executable, so on some 64-bit systems you may have to install the 32-bit libraries. But you shouldn't need to load any drivers. The USB-serial device should be natively supported.
Schelte
yoja
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by yoja »

Hi,

Today I connected the opentherm gateway, it works perfect!
I only had to set the reverence voltage lower (1.042) (got error 03) and enable temp override on the iSence thermostat.

I still have to make the connection to Homeseer, and play with the settings :-)

Thanks Schelte for this nice project.

Thermostat = Remeha iSence
Boiler = Remeha Calenta CW5
tyfoon
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by tyfoon »

Sorry, bit what do you mean with "and enable temp override on the iSence thermostat."

Which setting is this?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

First of all you need an iSense with firmware version 19 or later. To check the firmware version, go to Menu > information, then select More information and scroll to the end of the list.

Next, make sure you get the full menu, not just one of the simplified housewives versions: Menu > Settings > Users > User mode > Extended mode. Then enable temp override via: Menu > Settings > Installer > Remote Input > Allow.
Schelte
FlatBread
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FlatBread »

New to this forum and interested in the OTGW. At the moment I'm still using Domoticz to control a HomeWizard with HeatLink and although I'm able to control my thermostat and thus boiler with this setup, I'm a still not too impressed by HomeWizard/HeatLink. There is too little control of the HeatLink in HomeWizard and to use it in Domoticz, I need to poll the data frequently and this seems another problem for HomeWizrad.

So I'm looking into the option to get rid of HW/HL and order a RFXCom and OTGW to be used with Domoticz.

I was thinking about the OTGW wifi option, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore (soldering one myself is not really an option). As I have Domoticz on my Synology NAS, I think the best option is the USB version, as that can be connected directly to the Synology. Problem is I probably have to move the NAS and do some wiring, but that's not a big problem.

So if I buy this USB version of OTGW and stick it in my Synology, will this work? Can I just set it up in Domoticz and start reading the data (of course I'll connect it to the thermostat and boiler too). Will the data be send to Domoticz instantly, so when the boiler starts heating, this is directly visible in Domoticz? Or at least a signal is send to the Synology?

If I set the temperature setpoint (in Domoticz or by sending a command to the OTGW) will this change the temperature setpoint on the thermostat too? I've a Honeywell Chronotherm Touch Modulation. At the moment, if I change the setpoint in HW this new setpoint is also displayed on the thermostat. I rather have the thermostat keep displaying the setpoint of the thermostat (not the override setpoint), but maybe this is not possible by opentherm.

Finally (for now), the OTGW is able to read an outside temperature and send this to the thermostat. Can this be any temperature sensor? And does this sensor need to be attached to the OTGW or can it be send to OTGW through a command or directly from Domoticz?

Thanks! FB
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I can't answer your Domoticz related questions as I don't use Domoticz.

Which setpoint a thermostat displays is totally up to the thermostat manufacturer and has nothing to do with the Opentherm protocol. Most manufacturers choose to show the setpoint that regular people expect. That's usually the current setpoint, not some setpoint that you would get with another set of circumstances that do not apply now. On the other hand, many thermostats start to preheat the house to reach a setpoint at the scheduled time. To do that, they slowly raise the internal setpoint. But during this time they usually still show the old setpoint. So, if you can convince a thermostat manufacturer that your preference is not weird, there's nothing in the Openterm protocol that would stop them from implementing it.

You can feed the outside temperature to the gateway using a serial command. How you obtain that value is up to you.
Schelte
FlatBread
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by FlatBread »

Thank you for the reply. Hopefully there will be someone using it with domoticz who can tell me how they use it.

But do I understand correctly that with the USB version, the data is send via the USB to the device it's connected to? And this is instantly when a value changes, or at a fixed interval? And the outside temperature values can also be sent to the OTGW via this USB connection, our does that require a separate connection?

Thanks, FB
nickyb2
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by nickyb2 »

I've been trying to get the otmonitor to run on a RaspberryPI with Raspian Jessie. I'm using the following command to run it:

Code: Select all

./otmonitor-ahf -w 8080 --daemon /dev/ttyUSB0
It starts and i can see the webpages, however they do not get updated with any values. I know my OTGW is on ttyUSB0, since i can connect with cu just fine.

If i browse to the 'Summary' page i get the following error:

Code: Select all

*** INTERNAL SERVER ERROR (BEGIN #2) ***
socket: sock1d33eb8
peerhost: 192.168.153.102
peerport: 52967
port: 8080
rawtime: 1447009341
time: Sun Nov 08 20:02:21 CET 2015
method: GET
uri: /summary.html
path: /summary.html
protocol: HTTP/1.1
rawheader: {Host: 192.168.153.7:8080} {Connection: keep-alive} {Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8} {User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1) AppleWebKit/601.2.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.7} {Accept-Language: en-us} {Referer: http://192.168.153.7:8080/attributions.html} {Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate}
header host: 192.168.153.7:8080
header connection: keep-alive
header accept: text/html {} application/xhtml+xml {} application/xml {q 0.9} */* {q 0.8}
header user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 {(Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1)} AppleWebKit/601.2.7 {(KHTML, like Gecko)} Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.7
header accept-language: en-us {}
header referer: http://192.168.153.7:8080/attributions.html
header accept-encoding: gzip {} deflate {}
accept type: text/html application/xhtml+xml application/xml */*
accept charset: 
accept encoding: gzip deflate
accept language: en-us
accept transfercoding: 
errorinfo: can't read "list": no such variable
    while executing
"lsort $opt -index $index $list"
    ("uplevel" body line 49)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 "set # {}; $script; set #""
    (procedure "template" line 17)
    invoked from within
"template $body"
    (procedure "::wibble::zone::templatefile" line 8)
    invoked from within
"{*}$command $state"
    (procedure "getresponse" line 38)
    invoked from within
"getresponse $request"
*** INTERNAL SERVER ERROR (END #2) ***
I can't seem to get any debug information about why it is not reading the OTGW. Could it be that Raspian Jessie is not support yet?
bruine01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bruine01 »

Hi I'm new to his forum. I bought the RS232 assembly and put it together. Connected via RS232 to my laptop (only gnd, Tx & Rx). Put COM1 to the required speed, stop bits, etc. I receive the message:
Opentherm gateway diagnostic – Version 1.1
1. LED test
2. Bit timing thermostat
3. Bit timing boiler
4. Delay symmetry
5. Voltage levels
6. Idle times
Enter test number: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
It looks like It’s reacting on input. So I disconnected the Tx from my PC. Same issue. Measured the power + and -8,5 volts. Measured any connection between Tx and Rx on the PCB. Open, not interconnected. So Tx from the OTGW seems not to be used as input. Any idea where to look?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Did the silly webshop send out the wrong cable again? You seem to have the same symptoms as described here: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10750
Schelte
bruine01
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by bruine01 »

Thanks. I can talk to the OTGW now:-) Next phase of my project start now.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

So that's a yes? You received a wrong cable from the webshop?
Schelte

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”