New project (Remeha Avanta + iSense + OTGW)

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

Mario from Spain

Post by Mario from Spain »

Hi.

My old boiler (a 9 years old Saunier Duval) died so I ordered, thinking on automation, a Remeha Avanta. My installer will come today or tomorrow to install it.

My plan is to install the OTGW (out of stock now with two weeks waiting time) and a iSense or Honeywell thermostat but, although I already readed most of the posts here, I still have some doubts before ordering it (and although there is a Remeha distributor in Spain this brand isn't very introduced for the domestic market and there is not a lot of knowledge about it, so I will rely a lot on your help here :D ).

Is the iSense RF similar to the wired iSense in therms of capabilities and compatibility with the OTGW? Cost of the iSense RF will be about 200€.

If I go the Honeywell route, wich wireless model with scheduler (a chronothermostat) is best in therms of capabilities and compatibility? Is a similar Honeywell chronothermostat cheaper or more expensive than the iSense?

Just to give you some more information: there will be just one zone (regulating the radiators with some Max! Valves already installed).

I plan to connect the OTGW to HomeSeer (I have also a Raspi running NodeRed and a Vera Edge but I prefer to do it with HomeSeer. Didn't too much research about this part yet).

Thank you very much for your help.
hvxl

Re: New project (Remeha Avanta + iSense + OTGW)

Post by hvxl »

Based on comments of OTGW users, my understanding is that the RF versions of thermostats are much more limited than their wired counterparts, probably due to limited information exchange on the RF interface. As far as I know there is no RF thermostat that allows the setpoint to be changed via OpenTherm. Also some RF thermostats report fake room temperatures.
Schelte
Mario from Spain

Very useful information. Thank you.

Now, the question is: If I go the wired route (looks mandatory), is better to go with an iSense or Honeywell (and what model, with scheduler)?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

That largely depends on your needs and wishes. See http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=10541 for a summary of advantages and disadvantages of various thermostats.
Schelte
Mario from Spain

Thank you very much.

Looks like the Honeywell TH8210M1003 (touch thermostat) is the way to go. The 12 minutes delay of the iSense to recognize a set point override (if I understood correctly) is a big stopper.

After googling a lot I can't find a manual in English. Do you know if there is one? Also, do you know if the display is configurable for English or Spanish?

I found it for €142,95 at https://www.cvkoopjes.nl/thermostaten/h ... staat.html (don't know shipping charge to Spain). Do you think this is a good price?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Mario from Spain wrote:The 12 minutes delay of the iSense to recognize a set point override (if I understood correctly) is a big stopper.
You didn't understand correctly. It doesn't take 12 minutes for the iSense to pick up a setpoint override. IIRC, it takes about 1 minute, similar to a Honeywell. The 12 minutes is the time it may take for the iSense to figure out if the change should be temporary or permanent. So if there is a programmed setpoint change happening within those 12 minutes, the iSense may not behave correctly. It may cancel a permanent setpoint change or stick with a temporary change (I don't remember which way around it works, or if it depends on previous state information).
Schelte
Mario from Spain

Ah, ok, I understand now. :)

Do you have any idea about the language issue (if is possible to configure the display to English or Spanish and if is there a English manual)?
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

I have not. That's why I didn't react to those questions :mrgreen:

A quick look in the manual doesn't give the impression that there's a language setting.
Schelte
Templar

Post by Templar »

As far as I know, it isn't possible: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_di ... layers.svg

The LCD's have a glass substrate with 'ITO electrodes' shaped (to show Dutch words and/or symbols) during production of those LCD's. The shape of those electrodes can't be altered afterwards, they can only turned on or off.
Only the electrodes shaped as fourteen-segment display have the flexibility to show alphanumeric characters in any possible order.

Max_nl
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Max_nl »

My understanding is that Remeha will release their new smart thermostat model (eTwist) in June.
If you're considering an iSense you might want to wait for that. Even if you do not want the fancy new model, the price of the old one may go down...
Mario from Spain

As the heating season is almost over I think I will wait to the eTwist to be available (and then decide if I go with it or with the iSense).

Meanwhile I already ordered the OTGW kit (now the order is waiting for new stock) and will connect a ESP8266 with a relay to the thermostat ON/OFF input just in case there is need for some heating some day.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”