Connecting more than one controller, thermostat, etc.

This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

rjblake
Starting Member
Starting Member

Connecting more than one controller, thermostat, etc.

Post by rjblake »

Hi all - glad to have found this site. Probably a stupid question, but although I can find all of the above on the OTGW.TCLCODE site, I am not sure regards connecting them up. Does it mater which order the 'Toon boiler module' and the 'OTGW' are connected?

i.e.
1. Toon Thermostat -> Toon Boiler Module -> OTGW -> CV Ketel, or
2. Toon Thermostat -> OTGW -> Toon Boiler Module -> CV Ketel

From what I can find, the Opentherm standard will work with 2 controllers (perhaps more?) connected in serial. Am I correct in my assumptions or completely wrong?

I would just try it out, but still waiting on delivery of my PIC before I can hook it up. Great bit of kit - thanks Schelte for making it available!
Templar

Re: Connecting more than one controller, thermostat, etc.

Post by Templar »

rjblake wrote:Hi all - glad to have found this site. Probably a stupid question, but although I can find all of the above on the OTGW.TCLCODE site, I am not sure regards connecting them up. Does it mater which order the 'Toon boiler module' and the 'OTGW' are connected?

i.e.
1. Toon Thermostat -> Toon Boiler Module -> OTGW -> CV Ketel, or
2. Toon Thermostat -> OTGW -> Toon Boiler Module -> CV Ketel

From what I can find, the Opentherm standard will work with 2 controllers (perhaps more?) connected in serial. Am I correct in my assumptions or completely wrong?

I would just try it out, but still waiting on delivery of my PIC before I can hook it up. Great bit of kit - thanks Schelte for making it available!
If I remember correctly, the communication between the Toon Thermostat and Toon Boiler Module isn't Opentherm. So you should go for 1. Toon Thermostat -> Toon Boiler Module -> OTGW -> CV Ketel. It surely works for me.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

1. Toon Thermostat -> Toon Boiler Module -> OTGW -> CV Ketel
Correct. The other way around is a no-go.
rjblake
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by rjblake »

Thanks @marcelr & @Templar for the quick responses and clear information. Will connect as confirmed working.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

Due to the delays introduced by each Opentherm gateway, there is a limit of around 6 gateways that can be inserted between the OT master and slave. However, as Templar and marcelr already indicated, the Toon boiler module is not an Opentherm gateway. It is actually the Opentherm Master. The connection between the Toon thermostat and the Toon boiler module uses some proprietary interface. Putting the OTGW there will either just not work, or could possibly damage something in either the Toon or the OTGW.
Schelte
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

hvxl wrote:The connection between the Toon thermostat and the Toon boiler module uses some proprietary interface. Putting the OTGW there will either just not work, or could possibly damage something in either the Toon or the OTGW.
Been there, done that. When you put the OTGW between toon and the module, nothing works. After putting everything in the right place, nothing was damaged (at least in my case, YMMV), and everything worked as it is supposed to. Signal levels probably are more or less the same for the two protocols (24VDC + some modulation).
Lesson 1: never use the same colour of wiring for everything (blue and red), chances are it will get mixed up ;-).

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”