Philips TSU9600 versus Nokia N810

Forum about hardware/software for the Philips Pronto TSU9600 and other remotes.

Moderator: hvxl

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi all,

After remodelling our living room, I'm now looking for a remote to control a) all AV equipment and b) home automation devices. For HA I'm mainly using Homeseer.

On this forum, I've read some positive postings about both the Philips pronto TSU9600 and the Nokia N810 remotes (actually, only the first is a real remote; the other is "just" an internet tablet).

Now I'm wondering: which of these two should I opt for?

Some considerations:

- The Philips TSU9600 is EUR 1250,- (!) versus EUR 320,- for the N810 (not taking Marktplaats into account).

- The Philips TSU9600 has IR capabilities, which the N810 lacks. I do have an IRtrans device lying around, however, so this should not be a problem.

- Jon00 offers a Homeseer touchscreen plugin which works well on the N810, according to some forum members, and which seems to be easier to customize than the Javascript based TSU9600 interfaces.

- The Jon00 interface also works well on an Iphone/Ipod touch, which means one interface on several wireless remote devices.

In short, I think that I'm looking for a justification to spend > EUR 900,- extra on the Pronto, when the N810 seems to meet my goals ;-). Is there a killer application that I'm missing here?

Maybe this is especially a question for Chak, as I have the idea, given his postings, that he has both of these devices (or the N800 that is) in his possession :-).

Thanks!

Lennart
TANE
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TANE »

Hi Lennart welcome back
I have both and both are totally different.

If you are looking for a good homeseer control device then the Nokia will win
If you are looking for a good IR remote then the Pronto is a winner

You can also use the Nokia as remote for your IR devices for this you will need to have a Irtrans module.
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

i dont even use IR on my pronto :)

but lennart, import the device from usa or let somebody take it with them for you, it saves you half the price.. if you get it off ebay, with shipping you should be around 600 euro's.. now thats nicer right? i think nobody of us payed the 1250 euro's..

for me as WAF factor, the pronto can be much better then the nokia. but thats just my idea.

// Erik (binkey.nl)
Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Hi Chak, Snelvuur,

Thanks for your follow-up. EUR 600,- sounds a lot better... Just a few other questions:

1) What's the time delay from sleep mode to active & connected through wifi for each of these devices? Is one significantly faster than the other?

2) What is your experience with defining (custom) interfaces for these devices? Is one of these devices significantly easier to configure/program for than the other? (potentially using existing (Homeseer) software tools/packages such as Jon00's plugin)

3) Why do you think the WAF of the Pronto would be better? :-)

Lennart
Snelvuur
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Snelvuur »

1) takes about 1 second to get wifi on the pronto when i shake it awake.
2) you need to make some layout, that will cost some time ofcourse. connecting it to homeseer is easy, but you can make it more complex with feedback and all
3) to my gf, it looks more like it could be a remote :) , it has hard buttons, and it has volume and channel up & down etc which makes it a easy learn curve aswell. You can make easy references on screen to those buttons for even more control. Its also smaller then the nokia tablet, and there is not really a need for a keyboard on a remote...

the only real downside i think of the pronto is that you cant test your scripts in a "demo" environment. all javascript code must be transferred to the pronto then tested on the device itself.. which doesn't want to make me create complex javascript things.

dont have a nokia myself though, but like i said WAF factor here is maintaining rule nr 1 "keeping it simple" and thats what the pronto can do for your wife ;)

// Erik (binkey.nl)

Return to “Philips Pronto (TSU9600), IRtrans and other remotes”