This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Outside temperature sensor

Post by cyril »

Hi all!
I'm succefully using otgw and Baxi Main Four 240 F boiler with Honeywell Round Modulation thermostat, but I have some problem with outside temperature sensor. Obviously, my thermostat and boiler does not support MsgID 27, but I can't understand why I can't see outside temperature in OT Monitor? Sersor is working, I can see it using PS=1 serial command.
Thanks for any advice.
hvxl

Re: Outside temperature sensor

Post by hvxl »

Correct. If there is no communication mentioning the outside temperature, OTmonitor has no way of learning its value. Why is that surprising?
Schelte
cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cyril »

OTGW get this parameter directly from sensor and know it. OT Monitor conmunicate with OTGW. It seems strange, why OT Monitor hide it.
cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cyril »

For example, we can get from boiler parameters, not asked by thermostat, using Add Alternatives command, but we can not get parameter from OTGW.
hvxl

Post by hvxl »

The OTGW reports the opentherm communication between the thermostat and boiler to OTmonitor. If the outside temperature is never transmitted in an opentherm message, OTmonitor doesn't have that information. So there is nothing for it to hide.

The purpose of the outside temperature sensor is to be able to provide the temperature to the thermostat for display or use in its control algorithm. If your thermostat doesn't have that functionality then the temperature sensor is useless.

There currently is no mechanism for the OTGW to report information that has no relation to the heating system it is connected to. If you want that kind of information from the OTGW, you will just have to poll for it.
Schelte
cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cyril »

Ok. It's clear. May be there is the way to simulate this communication, using SR command, for example? Now I'm using OT value by sending PS=1 and PS=0 commands and parsing log. So I can send this value.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”