Motion sensor stairs lights

Forum about other Home automation topics which can not be categorized in any other forum. So this needs to be Home automation Domotica related! (otherwise use Off Topic)
Bertjuhh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Motion sensor stairs lights

Post by Bertjuhh »

Hi,

I have an idea for my stairway, but no clue how to search for certain parts of kits to make this happen.
The idea is that each stair gets a led strip underneath with a motion sensor.
Whenever a foot is placed on a stair, the light goes on on that specific stair. And when taking the foot off the stair, it goes off again.
I call it the 'Michael Jackson Stairs' :).

Now i've been looking for led lights with sensors and found some, but they are very thick and in need of 5/6 batteries.
There is space underneath the stairs (stairs closet), so I could make small holes for wires and hook them up underneath so nothing is visible.

Now i'm wondering if someone could help me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Robbert
AshaiRey

Re: Motion sensor stairs lights

Post by AshaiRey »

Don't over engineer this problem because all you need is just a pressure switch (mat) and a LED per stair step to accomplish this.
Bram
Bertjuhh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Bertjuhh »

AshaiRey wrote:Don't over engineer this problem because all you need is just a pressure switch (mat) and a LED per stair step to accomplish this.
But I don't want to adjust anything in the stair (walking part). Or can a pressure switch be applied underneath the stair?
Bertjuhh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Bertjuhh »

AshaiRey wrote:Don't over engineer this problem because all you need is just a pressure switch (mat) and a LED per stair step to accomplish this.
This pressure switch, will this be placed on each step of the stairway?
And how does this look like, as far as I can see these are placed on top of each step, or can they also be placed underneath?
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

I`m using Ikea Led strips for this but Ikea is no longer selling them.

For the motion detection i`m using a single motion sensor and switching all leds at once

This one uses a sensor in the beginning to start a sequence, and i guess this is the "cheapest" way to do it. If you have a sensor per step you need a lot of sensor and software to switch the led-strips (14 inputs and outputs i guess)

Some other ideas

Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s
AshaiRey

Post by AshaiRey »

Ik heb een RGB controller genomen en in plaats van kleuren LEDs stuur ik gewoon 3 sets warm-wit LEDS aan. In feite was het een lange LED string die ik in stukken heb geknipt. In dit geval dus 1/3e van het aantal traptreden is een string di op de R, de G of de B zit aangesloten.
De richting dat ze aangaan is wel in je loop richting. Dus kom je van boven dan gaan de bovenste LEDs het eerst aan en het eerste weer uit.

Onderaan de trap gebruik ik een ultrasoon sensor die aan de onderzijde van de tree erboven zit. Deze meet constant de afstand naar beneden en als die wijzigd doordat er een voet tussen komt triggert deze. Bovenaan de trap, onder het laminaat welke aansluit op de trap ligt een drukmat. Beide zitten aangesloten op een arduino (welke nog meer functie heeft)

Zie de verlichting in actie
Bram
Bertjuhh
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Bertjuhh »

Both thanks for the replies.

So there are more default systems for this, like the IKEA one?
I did found some companies providing some systems, but are very expensive. :(
raymonvdm

Post by raymonvdm »

You can also look at INNR Lighting

https://shop.innrlighting.com/nl/shop/42/strip-st-110

I`m building one setup at the moment with 2 x ST-110, connected to a Philips HUE motion sensor
Running HS3PRO on PC with Z-Wave / OpenTherm / Plugwise / RFXcom / MQTT / XAP400 / Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite on PI`s

Return to “Miscellaneous Home Automation topics”