This Forum is about the Opentherm gateway (OTGW) from Schelte

Moderator: hvxl

cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

OTGW mobile application via MQTT Client "Thehomeremote"

Post by cyril »

Hi all!
I had an idea to make mobile application for otgw. If you cannot organize remote access to you home network it's good oportunity to use mqtt functionalty of the otmonitor and any free mqtt broker. Open progect thehomeremote.com has mqtt client and lets you made you own mobile application for iphone and android. You can see how I've solve this task.
1. Go to cloudmqtt.com, register and create instance. Then click to instance details and copy server name, port and login/password.

2. Go to mqtt config page of the otmonitor and paste copied settings. Also change data format to "Unformatted".

Then you have to restart otmonitor and check changes of the config file.
3. Now you can check sending of the mqtt messages. If you install mqttlens addon for chrome browser, click new connection and insert login/password, server and port, insert "#" in topic and press "subscribe" you can see all messages, received by broker.

4. Now you should download Home Remote Designer from thehomeremote.com and open one of atteched files.

5. Click "Devices", "Sources", "otmonitor" and you should see connection properties in right half of screen. Insert login/password, server and port from cloudmqtt.com account and save you .hrp file
5. Send this file to you mobile phone by email, dropbox or any other way.
6. Download Thehomeremote application from appstore or google play.
7. On android: open downloaded application, choose "settings", "restore" and choose your .hrp file. On iphone: click to .hrp file, choose "open with" and choose "Thehomeremote" application.
8. Now you should see one of this screens, depends you choose before.

Attachments
hrp_files.zip
hrp files
(65.6 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
adriaanhendrik
Starting Member
Starting Member

Re: OTGW mobile application via MQTT Client "Thehomeremote"

Post by adriaanhendrik »

Great work Cyril.!
I have installed your OrangePi setup from the other thread and today i managed to install this neat solution on my iphone.
It shows the data from the OTGateway but i cannot change the temp with the arrows. It says : Cannot increment the value"
Is that normal or should i upgrade my pricing plan with MQTT ?

[update 31-01-2018]
Allright I found the solution to my problem. I had removed the entry for the: ' events/central_heating/otmonitor/setpoint ' between the two arrows in the otmonitor_outside.hrp doc, because i did not like the number there. That caused the issue of the increment value fault. After copying it back from your file it did work but first i had to change the setpoint from my MQTT webUI. Only then could i see the changes on my iPhone screen...

During my quest for faults in the otmonitor-outside.hrp doc i came upon another issue that did not work. The outside temperature was not reacting.
This time i discovered that in the variable Outside_temperature there was a wrong statement. The function called for: events/central_heating/otmonitor/outside
It should have been: events/central_heating/otmonitor/outsidetemperature
After changing that, the indication of the outside temperature finally worked too. So please adapt your template files for the otmonitor-outside.hrp

Best Regards,
Ad
cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cyril »

otmonitor-json-pub.zip
hrp file
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
adriaanhendrik wrote:Great work Cyril.!
I have installed your OrangePi setup from the other thread and today i managed to install this neat solution on my iphone.
It shows the data from the OTGateway but i cannot change the temp with the arrows. It says : Cannot increment the value"
Is that normal or should i upgrade my pricing plan with MQTT ?

[update 31-01-2018]
Allright I found the solution to my problem. I had removed the entry for the: ' events/central_heating/otmonitor/setpoint ' between the two arrows in the otmonitor_outside.hrp doc, because i did not like the number there. That caused the issue of the increment value fault. After copying it back from your file it did work but first i had to change the setpoint from my MQTT webUI. Only then could i see the changes on my iPhone screen...

During my quest for faults in the otmonitor-outside.hrp doc i came upon another issue that did not work. The outside temperature was not reacting.
This time i discovered that in the variable Outside_temperature there was a wrong statement. The function called for: events/central_heating/otmonitor/outside
It should have been: events/central_heating/otmonitor/outsidetemperature
After changing that, the indication of the outside temperature finally worked too. So please adapt your template files for the otmonitor-outside.hrp

Best Regards,
Ad
Hi, Ad! Sorry for long waitening. I was away. Thank you for advice about outside temperature. I have not outside temperature sensor, therfore I can't check it. I will fix it in shot time. About changing setpoint.
If you press arrow, it can increment only integer value. If you see something else between arrows, it can't increment it. In my case it so, but may be different depends the thermostat. You can try another way. Change data format on your otmonitor mqtt config page to "Standart JSON", download attached hrp file and try to change setpoint. Also, please don't mess variables 'action' and 'event'. Action is a variable, which carry data about current changed value, but 'event' is a result of changing, received from thermostat. For example, If you change and publish actions/otmonitor/setpoint it will changes immediately and persist all time. But events/central_heating/otmonitor/setpoint is a current setpoint of the thermostat and it will changes only after thermostat changes it and otmonitor learns about it and publish it via mqtt. Therefore, it sounds strange you wrote about entry events/central_heating/otmonitor/setpoint, because variable between arrows is a Remote_override_room_setpoint (actions/otmonitor/setpoint). It's internal mqtt variable, arrow uses it, performing incremention.
Best regards, Kirill.
adriaanhendrik
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by adriaanhendrik »

Hi Cyril,

I am having again the same problem with The Remote_override_room_temperature not showing in my App..
Tried everything i could find to resolve this. Went back to the files you sent and copied the field over but to no avail..
I even changed my thermostat to check if that changes anything. Again no solution.
It was working very well for more then a year. I could change the value with the Arrows and all was OK but suddenly sometime last year the value in the display of the App disappeared and the Arrows did not work anymore. "can't increment the value" is what i see on the screen..
A couple of weeks ago i got a new Heating system in my house (brand AWB) so i hoped that the issue would disappear, but no The same problem persists. So now i turn to you for an answer.. Maybe you can tell me what to do. The OPZero is working properly so I can see the webpages of OTMonitor.

Many Regards,
Ad
cyril
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by cyril »

Sometimes I see issues with cloudmqtt database. Try to reset DB in details webpage of the cloudmqtt. After that you have to manually set remote override room setpoint via otmonitor. One time at least.

Return to “Opentherm Gateway Forum”