1-wire Data Logging - Help and advice needed!

Forum about 1-Wire devices.
Macca
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Macca »

Hi guys,

I am a long time reader of the forum, and have been a long time 1-wire network operator. I currently run my own 1-wire weather station (online here http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/andrew.catherine/wx.html ) and also operate an internal 1-wire home temperature and humidity monitoring network.

I have read with interest the work done here to monitor electricity usage and finally managed to source a new meter with SO pulse output to install in my switchboard. This has now been completed and I have it interfaced to my 1-Wire Automation PC. I currently used Weather Display and LogTemp to read the data form my various sensors. In LogTemp, I can see the DS2423 counting the pulses from the electricity meter, so I am happy the network is operating OK.

But I am a sparky by trade - hardware is no problem - software is though!! LogTemp will record the DS2423 data, but will not plot it as a graph... my question is, how do I do this? I note a lot of you manage to produce amazing graphs from your data, but I have no idea where to start - hence the reason I pay for software that works!

If anyone can help, please reply - I appreciate any help and advice.

Cheers
Andrew
Wellington, New Zealand.
Macca
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Macca »

Me again - just found this topic and have downloaded the software to try...still seeking advice though!

http://www.domoticaforum.eu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=239
Macca
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Macca »

Hi again (must stop anwsering own messages!) :)

Have downloaded and installed OneSix DDE server, it is currently polling the 1-wire DS2423 counter. I have managed to get Excel to read the data from the One Six server via DDE. With a bit of simple maths I now have the total DS2423 meter count, whether or not it is online and the total kWh used.

Now, the only questrion remaining is how do I get Excel to count daily usage - say from 9am to 9am. Is there a way to rest the counter at a specified time each day? How do you guys do this?
Stevexyz

Post by Stevexyz »

Software: At 9am you could add the counter value to one stored in Excel (or the DS2423) and subtract that value from all the readings taken later in the day. I wouldn't know how to do this in Excel but it's probably better than...

Hardware: At 9am you power-cycle the DS2423 to reset the counters!!

Cheers, Steve
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

I think there will be a function in excel to look at the time (Hour) and based on that you can make a new line (record) ones every hour is passed.
Also when you get a lower value then the last time, the counter started back at zero and and based on that you can calculate the new data.
Don't ask me how, Im not an expert in Excel.
Macca
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Macca »

Hi guys - first up , thanks heaps for the replie - I really appreciate it :)

OK - I have made good progress, I cn read the data from the 1 - Wire counter into Excel, and can do daily totals OK.

However, it looks a bit average displaying the data this way. What I would liek to do is use the DDE feed to supply the data to a VB applicationt o graphically show the data.

The question is, how?

I see you guys have awesome graphs showing your electricity usage. How did you develop these graphs using the 1-wire system?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

From the ChartDirector site (use Google as your friend):

"ChartDirector for ASP/COM/VB is the ChartDirector library implemented as a COM component. It can be used by any system that supports COM, such as ASP web pages, Visual Basic, MS Word, Excel, Access, FoxPox, any system with VBA, VBScript or JScript support, and many other third party products. "

I hope you're not using FoxPox, cause i've never heard of that in my life[:D]
Macca
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by Macca »

Hmmm, thanks Digit, but thats getting a bit hard for me and my below average software skills. Pity the software side of things isn't as easy as the hardware! Can anyone point me to some software I can buy to get the electricty monitoring job done? Am happy to purchase it now :)

Is this application (Chart Director) how you and Bwired (and others) create your 1-wire electricity monitoring graphs?
Digit
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Digit »

I don't use Chartdirector, BWired does and i know many other forum members do also. It's very popular.
Bwired
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bwired »

You need to get the one wire data in a database, I use the log08 1-wire controller from Midon design to collect my temp sensor data.
And that is working very different from your setting. If you have it in a database I can provide you with a ASP sample how to display it in a graph with Chartdirector.
BTW do you now the RFXcom solutions for water, gas and power. Can be delivered with a plugin incl graphs for Homeseer.

Return to “1-Wire Forum”