Toon firmware resource file (as from 4.16.8)

Forum about the Toon firmware, and its extensions

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

mAiden

Re: Toon firmware resource file (as from 4.16.8)

Post by mAiden »

TheHogNL wrote:
mAiden wrote:I use this one to read the water meter.
https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17123

Dont know yet how to get it on a title on Toon. Will be nice, if that can.
No. Or not until someone makes an app for that. However their is now native support in the Toon (quby app) for that but that needs a water meter zwave module as said before. You have close contact within Eneco mAiden as far as I understand. Do you have more information about that water meter support?
I have ask some people about this one. If i have more information, i let you know.

Its possible to use water titles on Toon, then need to know how i can fill them with setrradata. I have not been able to find url yet.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

The first post has been updated to reflect the changes in the resources files I just uploaded (created by TheHogNL).
We have included my homescreen rotate mod and added an option to disable the Toon/Boxx logo.
For screenprints see the first post.

Existing resource file users can manually download the resource file for their version and overwrite the existing one.
If you have suggestions for mods to be included in future releases please post them here....

Kind regardz,

Toonz & TheHogNL
member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

On thing to note. Don't try to install a resource file from another firmware version then what your Toon is running. You really need the same resource file as the firmware on your toon.
The toon software is tightly connected with the QT apps (resource files). Thinks will break if you don't match them.
makkie2002

Post by makkie2002 »

I understand the main default apps or now in the resource files. Does this mean that I can delete the directories in the apps folder?

This is how my apps folder now looks like.

Code: Select all

airQuality               customerService          inbox                    strvSettings             toonstore-1.1.5          webcam-1.0.2
benchmark                domesticHotWater         installWizard            systemSettings           traffic                  winwit
boilerMonitor            eMetersSettings          internetSettings         temperaturelogger        wastecollection
buienradar               graph                    settings                 temperaturelogger-1.3.2  wastecollection-4.4
buienradar-8.3.5         heatRecovery             smokeDetector            thermostat               weather
clock                    homescreen               solar                    thermostatSettings       weatherInt
controlPanel             imageViewer              statusUsage              toonstore                webcam
Can I delete the clock / homescreen / solar / inbox etc? They should be part of the resource file, right?

BTW ... how did you manage to edit the resource file?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

No , you can't delete the folders. For whatever dark reason Quby decided that the language files are not part of the resource files.
(language files are in the lang subfolder for each app)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

makkie2002 wrote: BTW ... how did you manage to edit the resource file?
That is something we don't want to reveal (yet). It may bring Quby to ideas to further limit our possibilities.

Our only goal is to use the Toon just that bit more than that they are providing. If they would only allow custom apps to be installed (just like android and apple does), we probably would not have any reason to do this all. Heck, I would even pay some money each month for a good service. Allowing me to use the apps and other stuff they provide.

From a security point installing custom apps is not that big deal. It would make the Toon even a better product. Think of ANY thermostat in the world which allows users to create their own apps for it? Yes, they have the API, but that is only to connect from the outside. The apps we make are there to be visible on the Toon itself.

Quby are you reading this? :roll: Why do you think android and apple got so big and nokia failed after being the biggest mobile phone company? Yes, because they provided a platform on which apps could be installed created by others.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

TheHogNL wrote:Quby are you reading this? :roll: Why do you think android and apple got so big and nokia failed after being the biggest mobile phone company? Yes, because they provided a platform on which apps could be installed created by others.
I asked the Quby guy on the web event evening in May in Rotterdam about this.
He said they don't allow third party apps because they do not have a mechanism/process/people to control the quality of the apps nor the potential impact on the performance and stability of Toon.
Apple and Google finance all of this by means of their commision (30% of all sales).
But Quby doesn't even have an app store, payment solution or charging mechanism in place to cover the extra (quality control) costs.
On the other hand, we are not talking about hundreds of apps.....
I won't see it happening anytime soon...
pkaak
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by pkaak »

My toon is at firmware 4.16.8

Bought it from a member here, and the resource file was already backed up, but didn't have the TSC tab in settings.
So I updated it to the latest version on the download page. But after restarting the screen has a strange spacing between items (/boxes). Resulting in the right/lower parts going off screen.
That seems not be right. So is it a fault in the resource file or something in my config?
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Can you post a photo?
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

pkaak wrote:My toon is at firmware 4.16.8

Bought it from a member here, and the resource file was already backed up, but didn't have the TSC tab in settings.
So I updated it to the latest version on the download page. But after restarting the screen has a strange spacing between items (/boxes). Resulting in the right/lower parts going off screen.
That seems not be right. So is it a fault in the resource file or something in my config?
Hi, TheHogNL confirmed that I have made a copy/paste error... :-(
I have uploaded the correct version of the resource file for 4.16.8.
Can you download it again and let me know if this indeed resolved your issue?

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

(Edit: resource file for 4.18.8 corrected as well)

Kind regardz,

Toonz
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

Resource files for Toon 2 users have been added for all firmwares.
And resource files for firmware 4.20 have been added for both Toon 1 and 2.

See first post for more details.

Kind regardz,

Toonz & TheHogNL
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

To add, 4.20.7 is not officially released by Eneco so I advice not to install it.
Just wait for the official announcement. Maybe it contains bugs and the real release will be like 4.20.8 or something.
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Hi all,

Resource files for all firmware versions have been updated today.
Changelog:
- gui restart button added in the TSC settings menu (by TheHogNL)
- option added to show custom logo instead of "TOON" (by Toonz)
custom URL examples: "http://webserver.of.your.choice/logo.png" or a local file on Toon : "file:///root/logo.png"

When you design your own logo ensure the height of the picture is about 20 pixels. Width doesn't matter.

Kind regardz,

Toonz
Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Great work, I'm really curious how you do this.

For Toon1 I had already removed the logo by replacing the image with a fully transparent *.png.
Attached the original logo and it's transparant counterpart to this post.

(Creating it yourself is easy, but downloading from the web even more, maybe it helps anyone)
Attachments
logo.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Hi all,
I'm working on a new modification to the resource files. Need your input and guidance.

I want to automatic update the resource files (or after a manual update button click) using the new TSC settings menu. Since the start of the resource files we often deploy new versions to include new stuff (like replacing the logo, rotating the tiles etc). This is part of the Toon software itself and not, like toonstore, a seperate app. I would like to keep toonstore as the app-store and don't let it bother with other stuff going on in the Toon. All Toon mod's should be done using the TSC menu.

So what I now have created is:
- a TSC boot script which will start each time when a toon is started. This will download (if not already installed) a TSC helper script in /usr/bin/tsc. It will also create a inittab entry to start this helper script.
- A TSC helper script, running from inittab (so it will restart automatically when stopped). This will listen to 'commands' from the TSC settings menu (using a file /tmp/tsc.command).
- A update routine in this helper script which checks for updates for itself and for resources files. It will notify the user using the notification bar if there is an update available asking for permission to update.

The script can than be used to sent commands from the GUI. Like 'update the resources files' or 'reset my firewall to basic settings' or 'reset my subscription file' or other usefull stuff which are not possible using the GUI programming only.

What do you think of this?

Return to “Toon Firmware”