Solar data to Toon without the meteradapter

Everything about software tools, new software development and toolchains. For developers, mostly.

Moderators: marcelr, TheHogNL, Toonz

BertusBeensteen
Starting Member
Starting Member

Solar data to Toon without the meteradapter

Post by BertusBeensteen »

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get my solar data into my toon.
The thing is, i don't have the right meteradapter to use zon op toon. (i have the old one with only one flame)
As of now i log the solar output in PVoutput using the inverters data, and also using an arduino running Solarmeter

So as of now i have two options:
1 Get a new meteradapter somehow (any ideas without spending 200 euros for a new toon?)
2 Getting the data from the Solarmeter (PVoutput is probbably too slow) into the toon database somehow

The solarmeter outouts its data almost instantly, getting basically all needed data for the calculation direcly from the P1 port of the meter, solar data from a S0 kwh-meter, and even water data from an optical sensor.
So everything to calculate current power usage, solar output and gas usage.

Is there a way to write this data to Toons database from the outside?
Or maby I am overlooking some very obvious solution to this "problem"?
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Solar data to Toon without the meteradapter

Post by marcelr »

You could ask TerrorSource, he might have some for sale.
BertusBeensteen
Starting Member
Starting Member

marcelr wrote:You could ask TerrorSource, he might have some for sale.
I would, but unfortunately I can't send private messages yet.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

OK, I will contact him, then.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

This question is asked before. But for now there is no clue how to get the solar data into the Toon. The options are:
- faking a powermeter - requires zwave skills and some reverse engineering
- modifying all qmf solar/energy apps which read the solar power from another source instead of the internal one (which is rrd using bxt)

A lot of time and effort for just a screen showing your produced, used and delvered energy. Which can easily be graphed using grafana or other graphing tools as you already have that data.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

It's quite possible to write the databases with another application than toons own code. It's not so clear how this interferes with the native software, though. For now, the easiest way is to go through the native firmware, with the right metering hardware. Toonz has been playing with database copying and transcription onto another toon. In a similar way, the solar power databases might be filled, but that requires quite some effort. Haven't heard of any volunteers, yet.
BertusBeensteen
Starting Member
Starting Member

There may be a way around the toon database using custom apps, but unfortunately I'm a noob when it comes to coding.

I think most of us also have some sort of smarthome device like domoticz. Maybe we can display graphs from domoticz on the toon. This may make other things easier as well. (Like adding water usage for example)
Just some food for thought I guess.

TerrorSource and I will exchange our meteradapters btw, so the issue should be resolved.
erik73
Starting Member
Starting Member

Post by erik73 »

Would it be (quite) easy to connect 1 or 2 optimale readers om the adaptor and translate thuis with a toon-app ?
I just started with rp en rooted Toon, so maybe a strange question.
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

EDIT:

Please check my new thread out, domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=87& ... mp;t=12109

I've been working on some code to convert P0 data into DSMR v5.0.2

https://gist.github.com/timkoers/667563 ... 9b4bc9ddcf

Updates are needed though, since I can't confirm if it's working or not. The ESP-32, on which the code runs has got 3.3V outputs and the DSMR v5.0.2 states that a minimum of 4V is required.
I've ordered these level shifters: https://www.pololu.com/product/2595, since they are absolutely tiny and work perfectly!
Timeless

Post by Timeless »

timkoers wrote:EDIT:

Please check my new thread out, domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=87& ... mp;t=12109

I've been working on some code to convert P0 data into DSMR v5.0.2

https://gist.github.com/timkoers/667563 ... 9b4bc9ddcf

Updates are needed though, since I can't confirm if it's working or not. The ESP-32, on which the code runs has got 3.3V outputs and the DSMR v5.0.2 states that a minimum of 4V is required.
I've ordered these level shifters: https://www.pololu.com/product/2595, since they are absolutely tiny and work perfectly!
Hi, this seems like a nice feature. How are things working out with the level shifter?
"The greatest good you can do for another, is not to share your own riches, but to reveal to him, his own."
- Benjamin Disraeli -
madpatrick

Post by madpatrick »

Is it maybe possible with Domoticz?

I've Domoticz running and the info from the Solarpanel are coming in regurarly and visable in Domoticz.
Maybe this can be use in Toon and display the power collection

timkoers

Post by timkoers »

Hi, this seems like a nice feature. How are things working out with the level shifter?
I switched from an ESP-32 to a UART<->USB adapter. Toon shows that there is a smart meter connected, but doesn't accept the data that get's send trough. I am thinking that the Toon has somekind of list that verified the meter's serial number with the supplied model.

I'll try to debug hdvr_p1 and see in it's registers to check wherether this is true. If I can fake this in any way, I can hopefully put some data inside the Toon with my own P1 interface
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

In qmf_release.xml there is a <uartcheck> enabled section under the hdrv_p1. Not sure what it does but maybe that is causing your issue
Member of the Toon Software Collective
timkoers

Post by timkoers »

TheHogNL wrote:In /qmf/etc/qmf_release.xml there is a <uartcheck> enabled section under the hdrv_p1. Not sure what it does but maybe that is causing your issue

I have it turned off now, I'll check the logs and the data flow!

I am getting the same end result, however, I can see that there are loads of more HBXT_ACTION_RESPONSE's on the HBXT_ACTION_INVOKE's.

Return to “Toon software development”