Post by spattex »

Congrats gentleman !
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The new Toon 2 has been rooted!

Post by TheHogNL »

Some more details:

The toon2 has some neat feature. Like for example a seperate recovery partition (/mnt/recovery, normally not mounted), a seperated partition for your data and one for the identity and vpn keys of the Toon 2. Because the data and the vpn keys are in another partition they just overwrite the operation system partion when doing a recovery. This was never possible on a Toon 1.

Further more, from the application side the Toon 2 is (almost) the same as the Toon 1. It has, as said before, a few modifications due to the screen resolution. A boolean 'isNxt` is often used to decide where to place QT items relative on the screen. Also there is ofcourse the new humidity tile available, but the code is also on the Toon 1. It is only disabled with the same 'isNxt' option. Enabling it on a Toon 1 does not work ofcourse cause it is missing the hardware (maybe the will add a humidity zwave sensor later?).

We now also see they are moving away from STRV (smart radiator valve) and Zone control for the Toon 1. In the software (still the same between Toon 1 and Toon 2) they only enable these options for the Toon 2.

In the Toon 2 we also see, as more common in linux, the /etc/shadow file to be used for the users passwords. The /etc/passwd file only contains the users (and other settings).

And ofcourse there is no external ethernet port so eth0 is not there. Only the wlan0 is there.

On the downside, we see some wifi issue's with the Toon 2. The Toon 2 is doing bad stuff with ARP. It is bombarding the network with ARP requests for the gateway address and it is having problems receiving ARP requests from other hosts (for example your computer trying to connect over ssh to the soon). Sometimes the wifi get's very bad (packet losses are high) and you need to reboot the toon 2 to make it work. This probably can only be solved by Quby as it needs better kernel drivers. Other (non rooted) Toon 2's will face the same issue so we think in the future this will hit enough complaining customers so Quby will really need to fix this then.
Member of the Toon Software Collective
michel30

Post by michel30 »

Super work TheHogNL

Nice to see that this works :-) now search for an Toon 2 on MKP ..
How do now if it is a toon 2 and not a toon 1?

Maybe the best thing to pick it up :-) ..
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

Just checkout the pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=12110#p86972
Ierlandfan

Post by Ierlandfan »

Congrats guys!

Don't know when that "recent" hack-a-toon was but well..who's slow for not patching :)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Some 3 weeks ago they told me. The now must be wondering if somenone from the hack-a-toon event might have told us about the hacks :lol: They would probably have signed a non-disclosure.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

michel30 wrote:Super work TheHogNL

Nice to see that this works :-) now search for an Toon 2 on MKP ..
How do now if it is a toon 2 and not a toon 1?

Maybe the best thing to pick it up :-) ..
There is a topic for this :-) viewtopic.php?f=105&t=12152
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Something to add; we haven't got VNC working yet on the Toon 2.
Viewing using VNC works but it does not respond to mouse clicks. That is probably because the toon2 is multitouch and vnc only support single touch.
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

To make it more clear that opening the Toon2 requires skills and the rights tools see the image.

This is the Toon 2 I received from Quby to root (for them to see proof we can do it). I went in a bit to fast and enthusiastic and, while opening this Toon2, broke the front screen a bit. It still works, and I managed to root it, but this is ofcourse far from being ideal. I opened my own Toon2 a few times without breaking but this time I was a bit careless.

But, this being my own fault, I guarantee to you if you send your Toon 2 to me for the rooting process I will replace your Toon2 with mine if I break it again :-) This should learn me to be more carefull. 8)

This Toon2 from quby has been sent back and they will probably receive in monday on their desks for them to wonder how we got it rooted :D
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

TheHogNL wrote:To make it more clear that opening the Toon2 requires skills and the rights tools see the image.

This is the Toon 2 I received from Quby to root (for them to see proof we can do it). I went in a bit to fast and enthusiastic and, while opening this Toon2, broke the front screen a bit. It still works, and I managed to root it, but this is ofcourse far from being ideal. I opened my own Toon2 a few times without breaking but this time I was a bit careless.

But, this being my own fault, I guarantee to you if you send your Toon 2 to me for the rooting process I will replace your Toon2 with mine if I break it again :-) This should learn me to be more carefull. 8)

This Toon2 from quby has been sent back and they will probably receive in monday on their desks for them to wonder how we got it rooted :D
Holy cow, that does not look good! :shock:

Positive side, it's a test toon from quby and not one from a user.
marcelr
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by marcelr »

To quote Fravia:

"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Toonz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Toonz »

Isn't this what happens with all Toons Quby send to you? :lol:
member of the Toon Software Collective
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

Hi all,
Already a few toon2's are being rootted as we speak for our members. The community is growing.

We want to add that if you want to bring in the Toon instead of sending it you can contact these guys:
- near Rotterdam: Terrorsource
- near Zoetermeer: Toonz
- near Eindhoven: MarcelR
- near Arnhem/Nijmegen: ThehogNL

If you want to send it just pick one you like the most 8)
TheHogNL
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by TheHogNL »

I also want to add that rooting the Toon 2 is a service we are doing right now as we want the community to grow.

But don't expect us to help you explore, fix, repair your Toon 2 any further. You will get your Toon 2 back rooted and will be given the password. Maybe, depening on the mood of the guy who is rooting the toon for you, you will also see toonstore installed and the Toon to be updated to the most recent version. Anything you do after receiving the Toon 2 back is really up to you. If you screw things up, you need to fix it yourself. Ofcourse there is always this forum where you can ask questions and hopefully get help but don't expect and demand the guy who rooted it for you to help you if anything goes wrong.

I'm just saying this as we have seen in the past, while providing Toon 1 rooting services, that people demand support months or even years later from the guy who rooted it. We want to avoid this and be clear about why we are rooting these Toon2's for you for free (for now).

And, don't forget:
- the Toon2 has a software recovery option. This will cause the Toon to overwrite the Toon operating system software while keeping your user data. This means that any root access is also lost.
- a factory reset (which is available from the menu options and also seen in the Toon1) will reset the user data but not overwrite the Toon software so you will keep root access. You will probably lose the activation but, as you still have root access, you can easily fix this by editting the scsync.xml file
TerrorSource
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TerrorSource »

TheHogNL wrote:I also want to add that rooting the Toon 2 is a service we are doing right now as we want the community to grow.

But don't expect us to help you explore, fix, repair your Toon 2 any further. You will get your Toon 2 back rooted and will be given the password. Maybe, depening on the mood of the guy who is rooting the toon for you, you will also see toonstore installed and the Toon to be updated to the most recent version. Anything you do after receiving the Toon 2 back is really up to you. If you screw things up, you need to fix it yourself. Ofcourse there is always this forum where you can ask questions and hopefully get help but don't expect and demand the guy who rooted it for you to help you if anything goes wrong.

I'm just saying this as we have seen in the past, while providing Toon 1 rooting services, that people demand support months or even years later from the guy who rooted it. We want to avoid this and be clear about why we are rooting these Toon2's for you for free (for now).

And, don't forget:
- the Toon2 has a software recovery option. This will cause the Toon to overwrite the Toon operating system software while keeping your user data. This means that any root access is also lost.
- a factory reset (which is available from the menu options and also seen in the Toon1) will reset the user data but not overwrite the Toon software so you will keep root access. You will probably lose the activation but, as you still have root access, you can easily fix this by editting the scsync.xml file
Also wanted to add that you cannot watch us do our magic tricks on the Toon2.
Damages to the Toon2 which might happen (hopefully not though) are your own risc, not ours!
If you ship it to us, the return shipping costs are your own.
Rooting is free-of-charge for a limited time but a payment in kind is always welcome :)

Return to “Toon Rooting”